• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

Vadergirl123

And it isn't an explanation, it's an opinion
Actually God really did allow Satan to do things(like in Job)
Basically all he's saying is, "I would like it better if this passage meant this rather than what it actually says. And while we're at it, I'd rather these other passages meant something else too".
Okay well the passage in Job is pretty clear God allows Satan to do things, and since(if you read the chapter) what David's doing isn't a good thing(vs 10) then it doesn't make since for God to have tempted him(since that goes against character) therefore he must've allowed Satan too, and as Mr. Lyons says, " Throughout the Bible, God’s allowance of something to take place often is described by the sacred writers as having been done by the Lord" some of the authors say that things the Lord allowed are what he himslef did.
The writer of II Samuel did just that, he wrote that what God allowed as something he himself did.
This isn't an explanation or a refutation, it's just rationalization.
It is an explanantion. It explains why there's no contradiction. I think it refutes why there's no contradiction, and yes the answer is also rational haha

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

That's not what I mean. :)

Claiming that "incited" should be interpreted as "allowed" is the opinion I'm talking about.

Whether or not God allowed Satan do do anything at other times is a moot point. Really, bringing up Job just seems to have been a handy and not-too-seamless segue that the author is trying to use for the sake of changing the subject.

Okay well the passage in Job is pretty clear God allows Satan to do things,

Job has nothing to do with any of this.

and since(if you read the chapter) what David's doing isn't a good thing(vs 10) then it doesn't make since for God to have tempted him(since that goes against character)

The passage doesn't say tempt, it says "incited", which is an even more direct influence.

therefore he must've allowed Satan too, and as Mr. Lyons says, " Throughout the Bible, God’s allowance of something to take place often is described by the sacred writers as having been done by the Lord" some of the authors say that things the Lord allowed are what he himslef did.

Mr. Lyons is rationalizing.

The writer of II Samuel did just that, he wrote that what God allowed as something he himself did.

You're presenting a very thin and for the most part baseless speculation (really not much more than a hopeful guess) as if it were the most logical explanation.

It is an explanation.

A baseless one.

It explains why there's no contradiction.

No, it attempts to, but I don't think it would convince anyone unless they really, really wanted to be convinced.

I think it refutes why there's no contradiction,

"Think" or "prefer to believe"?

Alceste

Vagabond

Okay well the passage in Job is pretty clear God allows Satan to do things, and since(if you read the chapter) what David's doing isn't a good thing(vs 10) then it doesn't make since for God to have tempted him(since that goes against character) therefore he must've allowed Satan too, and as Mr. Lyons says, " Throughout the Bible, God’s allowance of something to take place often is described by the sacred writers as having been done by the Lord" some of the authors say that things the Lord allowed are what he himslef did.

It is an explanantion. It explains why there's no contradiction. I think it refutes why there's no contradiction, and yes the answer is also rational haha

The fact that somebody felt the need to write a monstrous article, entirely based on speculation, to explain away the differences between two sentences should be your first indication that it is a contradiction.

I think you might need to look up "contradiction" and "refute" and start over. ;)

mycorrhiza

What!?!? We are talking about the same contradiction right? One passage said Satan incited David and another said God did? You really read both those links and thought the verses still contradicted?? Some writers gave credit for doing things he permited, as the writer of II Samuel did. And from other biblical passages we see that God permits things to happen. In this story the Lord had permited Satan to incite David. I don't understand how you see that as a contradiction.

They still contradict, because the explanation has no evidence. Just because you can say it means another thing doesn't mean that it does. It is based on wishful thinking rather than proper interpretation, as it ignores context and the meaning of the hebrew word because they don't want it to be a contradiction.

It clearly says that God did it, and it's in the narrative, not in the faulty words of a human (like it is in Job). The word used does not mean "allow" and there is no mention of Satan in the one that says God incited it. That God sometimes allows Satan to do things is irrelevant.

The contradiction still stands.

There are lots of contradictions in the Bible, so it isn't infallible. But does it need to be infallible? I didn't read it like it was literal and infallible when I was a Christian, and I still didn't need to reject it. We must look at the historical context and the long canonization process. People wrote the Bible and people decided which books would go in the Bible, so we don't need it to be infallible. If God is real, isn't he bigger than a book? Too many Christians are practising bibliolatry rather than faith in God and Jesus.

Was the early church not close to God? Because they used a variety of texts, some that didn't end up in the Bible, and some of the books in the Bible weren't used by the early church. The teachings of Jesus should be much more important.

Last edited:

Vadergirl123

Claiming that "incited" should be interpreted as "allowed" is the opinion I'm talking about.
Oh okay fair enough, but even in Job 2:3 the word incited is used, and as Mr. Lyons says, "The Hebrews often used active verbs to express “not the doing of the thing, but the permission of the thing which the agent is said to do"
Whether or not God allowed Satan do do anything at other times is a moot point.
What?? Of course it's "moot" it shows us that God allows Satan to do things.
Job has nothing to do with any of this.
Yes it does, if you just read Job 1:20 without reading Job 1:11-12, you'll think God was the one who took all of Job's things away. It's the same way with II Samuel and I Chronicles. If you just read II Samuel without reading I Chronicles you'll think God's the one who moved David to number Israel, but if you read BOTH passages you'll see that it's really Satan who does the moving. The verses compliment each other, they don't contradict.
Mr. Lyons is rationalizing.
You know for a fact that this statement, "Throughout the Bible, God’s allowance of something to take place often is described by the sacred writers as having been done by the Lord" some of the authors say that things the Lord allowed are what he himslef did." is false?
You're presenting a very thin and for the most part baseless speculation (really not much more than a hopeful guess) as if it were the most logical explanation.
The explanation is very logical according to the Bible.
God can't tempt people to sin
1 passage said God moved against David, and another passage said Satan moved against David
The Bible shows us that God allows Satan to do things
Therefore God must've allowed Satan to move against David.
What's illogical about that?
No, it attempts to, but I don't think it would convince anyone unless they really, really wanted to be convinced.
Okay well we all have our own opinions
The fact that somebody felt the need to write a monstrous article, entirely based on speculation, to explain away the differences between two sentences should be your first indication that it is a contradiction.
Hahaha the article wasn't that monstrous. It was like nine paragraphs and took me less than 10minutes to read. We both have different views of what monstrous is. When I think of monstrous I think of a couple pages.
I think you might need to look up "contradiction" and "refute" and start over. ;)
Nah, I'm good
They still contradict, because the explanation has no evidence.
When you say, "evidence" are you talking about external evidence?
Just because you can say it means another thing doesn't mean that it does. It is based on wishful thinking rather than proper interpretation, as it ignores context and the meaning of the hebrew word because they don't want it to be a contradiction.
First off, we know from the Bible that God allows Satan to do things, so saying that this is what he did in this passage isn't "wishful thinking."
Seccond it doesn't ignore the context because what David did was a sin(vs 10) and God doesn't tempt people to sin, therefore based on just that fact alone he couldn't have been the one to move David to sin.
Thirdly they're not ignoring the meaning of the Hebrew word as I posted above Mr. Lyons says, "The Hebrews often used active verbs to express “not the doing of the thing, but the permission of the thing which the agent is said to do"
And last of all you can't just say people "don't want" it to be a contradiction. I'm not telling you that you, "want it to be one." What we want is irrelevant.

Vadergirl123

No. 65 How many of Bethlehem and Netopha's offspring returned from Baylon?
So I'm sorry guys I thought I included all of these when I did the original post about in on page 14, but obviously I forgot some. Anyway the response is on page 14 post 140.

mycorrhiza

When you say, "evidence" are you talking about external evidence?

Nope, scriptural evidence. What they're doing is pure speculation.

First off, we know from the Bible that God allows Satan to do things, so saying that this is what he did in this passage isn't "wishful thinking."
Seccond it doesn't ignore the context because what David did was a sin(vs 10) and God doesn't tempt people to sin, therefore based on just that fact alone he couldn't have been the one to move David to sin.
Thirdly they're not ignoring the meaning of the Hebrew word as I posted above Mr. Lyons says, "The Hebrews often used active verbs to express “not the doing of the thing, but the permission of the thing which the agent is said to do"
And last of all you can't just say people "don't want" it to be a contradiction. I'm not telling you that you, "want it to be one." What we want is irrelevant.
Yes, in other parts of the Bible God allows Satan to do things, but that isn't mentioned here.

While it says that it's a sin, God is inciting it as punishment (2Sam 24:1). The word mentioned does not mean "give permission" and it isn't used with that meaning in the Hebrew Bible. Could you point towards an example where the same word for "incite" is used as "give permission"? As God breaks several of his own laws throughout the Bible, I don't see why he can't incite sin.

Let's say that it was Satan. Why isn't this mentioned until a several hundred years younger text comes along? (My guess is that it has to do with a different perception of God, as more omnibevolent rather than capable of jealousy and anger.) Why did God allow it? Satan can't act at all unless God says he can. So God does indeed tempt people indirectly, because Satan has to ask for permission before he can tempt people. There is no going around that God is the one who was behind it, either directly or through Satan. We must look at it through a historical Jewish perspective as the Satan presented in the Old Testament is far from the Satan presented in the New Testament.

Another good example of God tempting someone as a test is when God asks Abraham to kill Isaac. If you look at other parts of 2 Samuel, like 2 Samuel 24:16, you see a quite human version of God, where he can regret his actions.

It is very relevant what a person wants the verses to say. To me, this seems like a dishonest way to make God seem nicer. Similar things are done to cover up the older polytheism and monolatry.

Last edited:

Vadergirl123

Nope, scriptural evidence. What they're doing is pure speculation.
Well there is scriptural evidence that God alows Satan to do things, so you can't say they're speculating.
Yes, in other parts of the Bible God allows Satan to do things, but that isn't mentioned here.
You have two accounts. One says "God incited" and another says, "Satan incited."
The two verses compliment each other. By reading both we know that God allowed Satan to incite David(just like he did with Job). If you just read Job 2:3 then you'll think that the Lord, himself took everything away, but by reading vs 10-11 you see that God allowed Satan to take things from him.
Also Mr. Lyons explained, "The Hebrews often used active verbs to express “not the doing of the thing, but the permission of the thing which the agent is said to do." Again that's what the author of II Samuel did in relation to God.
Let's say that it was Satan. Why did God allow it? Satan can't act at all unless God says he can. So God does indeed tempt people indirectly, because Satan has to ask for permission before he can tempt people.
God himself doesn't tempt people, but yes he does allow them to be placed in positions where they can chose to do the right/wrong thing.

mycorrhiza

Well there is scriptural evidence that God alows Satan to do things, so you can't say they're speculating.

Yes, but the context doesn't say that Satan did it as Satan isn't even mentioned.

You have two accounts. One says "God incited" and another says, "Satan incited."
The two verses compliment each other. By reading both we know that God allowed Satan to incite David(just like he did with Job). If you just read Job 2:3 then you'll think that the Lord, himself took everything away, but by reading vs 10-11 you see that God allowed Satan to take things from him.
Also Mr. Lyons explained, "The Hebrews often used active verbs to express “not the doing of the thing, but the permission of the thing which the agent is said to do." Again that's what the author of II Samuel did in relation to God.
You must look at it without a preconceived idea. We must first look at the Bible and see if it contradicts itself before we decide that it doesn't. These two books were written several hundred years apart and during that time the intepretation of God changed. The first one reads as if God did it for punishment or to test David, while the second one substitutes God with Satan as to not give God the blame for tempting David. Satan is powerless without God and everything Satan does is according to the will of God as God must give him full permission. Job is a great example of this. Satan couldn't do anything to Job until God told him to. The Satan of the OT definitely isn't like the Satan of the NT.

Could you give an example of what Mr. Lyons explained? Can you name any place where incite means "give permission to"?

God himself doesn't tempt people, but yes he does allow them to be placed in positions where they can chose to do the right/wrong thing.
Was it Satan who told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac or was it God that tempted him towards sin to test him? Is that not temptation?

There are several other contradictions between 2 Samuel and 1 Chronicles, like the number of men:

1 Chronicles 21:5 - Israel 1,100,000. Judah 470,000.
2 Samuel 24:9 - Israel 800,000. Judah 500,000.

This is an obvious contradiction.

Last edited:

Vadergirl123

Yes, but the context doesn't say that Satan did it as Satan isn't even mentioned.
Satan is mentioned in I Chronicles.
You must look at it without a preconceived idea.
That's impossible, everyone has preconcieved ideas.
Could you give an example of what Mr. Lyons explained? Can you name any place where incite means "give permission to"?
You don't understand I'm not saying incite means to, "give permission too." I'm talking about how the Hebrews used action verbs to express the permission of the things which the said person did instead of the actual things they did.
Was it Satan who told Abraham to sacrifice Isaac or was it God that tempted him towards sin to test him? Is that not temptation?
God was TESTING Abraham(Satan had nothing to do with this, and there's nothing in the Bible that should make you think he did.). He wanted to see if Abraham would chose to obey him over the life of his son.

mycorrhiza

Satan is mentioned in I Chronicles.

But not in 2 Samuel.

That's impossible, everyone has preconcieved ideas.
We could at least try to set them aside. I'm not out to prove that the Bible is fallible, but the evidence points towards it. Some of contradictions probably aren't contradictions, but some definitely are (like if Jesus ate passover or not).

You don't understand I'm not saying incite means to, "give permission too." I'm talking about how the Hebrews used action verbs to express the permission of the things which the said person did instead of the actual things they did.
Could you give an example of this in the narrative in a different place in the Bible? Not from a faulty human like Job.

God was TESTING Abraham(Satan had nothing to do with this, and there's nothing in the Bible that should make you think he did.). He wanted to see if Abraham would chose to obey him over the life of his son.
And that is temptation. If God is omniscient, then he already knew what the result would be, and thus trying it out anyway is tempting Abraham. Either that or God is isn't omniscient.

Alceste

Vagabond
I have blue eyes.
I have brown eyes.

Is this a contradiction?

NO! Because maybe I have a whole collection of eyeballs of different colours in jars.

Contradiction refuted!

54 pages of this. Amazing.

Vadergirl123

But not in 2 Samuel.
Nope but both verses are talking about the same event, so if you have the preconcieved notion the Bible is true you'll say that the verses compliment(reading both gives us the whole story, just like with Job. I mean you could just read Job 2:3 and say that God himself took everything from Job, but you woudln't understand the full thing isnce you didn't read vs 10-11) and if you have the preconcieved notion that the Bible isn't true then you'll read them as separate passages.
We could at least try to set them aside. I'm not out to prove that the Bible is fallible, but the evidence points towards it.
Yes we can try(easier said than done though), and I don't believe you're out to prove the Bible is fallble :)
Could you give an example of this in the narrative in a different place in the Bible? Not from a faulty human like Job.
The article talks about God hardening Pharaoh's heart, "but we know that God didn't actually force Pharaoh to reject his will, he just provided the circumstances and occassion."
And that is temptation.
Actually it's not. A test isn't a temptation.