• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Contradictions

Vadergirl123

I have blue eyes.
I have brown eyes.
Is this a contradiction?
NO! Because maybe I have a whole collection of eyeballs of different colours in jars.
Contradiction refuted!
54 pages of this. Amazing.
The "maybe's" that have been used are very reasonable, and there's no reason to dismiss them. Most of them aren't even like that(I think maybe 10-20were)
Also if the thread offends you, you don't have to keep up with it. Just ignore it, there's hundreds more threads you can read/follow instead.

Alceste

Vagabond
The "maybe's" that have been used are very reasonable, and there's no reason to dismiss them. Most of them aren't even like that(I think maybe 10-20were)
Also if the thread offends you, you don't have to keep up with it. Just ignore it, there's hundreds more threads you can read/follow instead.

It doesn't offend me, it fascinates me. You have a very different way of processing information than I have ever seen before.

Are you saying it's impossible that I have a collection of eyeballs in jars? What if I am a glass eye maker by profession? You have to acknowledge that it's possible, therefore there is no contradiction in me stating "I have blue eyes / I have brown eyes".

I'm using your own rules of logic here. Why doesn't it sound right to you?

Vadergirl123

It doesn't offend me, it fascinates me. You have a very different way of processing information than I have ever seen before [/quote]
Oh okay well I'm glad you're not offended, and Hmm
Are you saying it's impossible that I have a collection of eyeballs in jars?
Nope, I never said that. In fact if you read over what I said, I implied that I think your "maybe" is reasonable :) iow I agreed with you that there was no contradiction.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Oh okay well I'm glad you're not offended, and Hmm

Nope, I never said that. In fact if you read over what I said, I implied that I think your "maybe" is reasonable :) iow I agreed with you that there was no contradiction.

Are there any contradictions, anywhere in the world, that can't be explained away with a little bit of imagination?

Vadergirl123

Are there any contradictions, anywhere in the world, that can't be explained away with a little bit of imagination?
Yes, for example if someone wrote an autobiography of my life, and someone else wrote about how I was a unicorn that lived in Canada(I don't live in Cannda). I can assure you there would be contradictions, and no amount of imagination could change that.

mycorrhiza

Yes, for example if someone wrote an autobiography of my life, and someone else wrote about how I was a unicorn that lived in Canada(I don't live in Cannda). I can assure you there would be contradictions, and no amount of imagination could change that.

I could say that you were both a Canadian Unicorn and a human. Just at different points in your life. Contradiction solved :D Jokes aside, I will answer the other one later. Found out that I have to read 100 pages of Gnosticism until tomorrow, so I better start doing so.

Any contradiction could be solved with twisting around words and vague possibilities, but that doesn't mean that they don't remain contradictions in the eyes of the majority. You have no need to prove that the Bible is infallible to believe it :)

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond

That wouldn't be a contradiction unless the autobiography explicitly stated that you are not now and have never been a Canadian unicorn.

Vadergirl123

I could say that you were both a Canadian Unicorn and a human. Just at different points in your life. Contradiction solved :D
It would be a contradiction since the autobiography mentions me as a human doing only human things. And the other biography says that I'm a unicorn for my entire life.
Jokes aside, I will answer the other one later. Found out that I have to read 100 pages of Gnosticism until tomorrow, so I better start doing so.
Have fun :)
Any contradiction could be solved with twisting around words and vague possibilities,
Not any contradiction.
That wouldn't be a contradiction unless the autobiography explicitly stated that you are not now and have never been a Canadian unicorn.
Well lets say it does. One autobiography says I've always been a human and the other that I've always been a unicorn.

Well lets say it does. One autobiography says I've always been a human and the other that I've always been a unicorn.

The wise thing to do in this case would be to haphazardly blend the two into a poorly mixed "complete autobiography". Then people with bachelor's degrees in "Vadergirl123 Apologetics" can convince people that we're misunderstanding the word "Unicorn".

Alceste

Vagabond
The wise thing to do in this case would be to haphazardly blend the two into a poorly mixed "complete autobiography". Then people with bachelor's degrees in "Vadergirl123 Apologetics" can convince people that we're misunderstanding the word "Unicorn".

But if one book was written before the other, you could still argue that at the time the first book was written, you were still a human, but then turned into a Unicorn. (Actually you used that logic yourself a little while back for the guy who had either no sons or one son depending on which verse you read).

And you need to remember that in English, "Always" can be translated to mean "sometimes" in the proper context. If we look further into the book "The Last Unicorn", we can see that the Unicorn was always a unicorn, and then reborn to being human. After such a complete transformation, it is only natural to conclude that she was always a unicorn until she was reborn as a human. At that point she WAS always human.
Thus, there is no contradiction.

Vadergirl123

Sure you could do that, but that's not what the Bible does. I'll assume you're refering to the gospel accounts. One of them doesn't say Jesus was a shepperd who lived his entire life watching sheep while another one says he was a priest his whole life and died when he was eighty.
But if one book was written before the other, you could still argue that at the time the first book was written, you were still a human, but then turned into a Unicorn.
You can't say that if the first book claims I was a unicorn my ENTIRE life, and the other says I was a human my entire life.
And you need to remember that in English, "Always" can be translated to mean "sometimes" in the proper context.
I don't know what definition you're using. In English always means "at all times." as to context I'll assume you mean when used figuratively. However in these two books both authors aren't speaking figuratively, they're being literal.
If y'all want to argue that a book that says I've always been a unicorn doesn't contradict with one that says I've always been a human, then please just PM me. I don't want to spend 20+ pages of this thread discussing it.

mycorrhiza

After a little googling, it seems that the Babylonian cubit is not at all 11 inches, but rather much longer (around 20 inches). From where did he get that it was 11?

I'd say that the contradiction still stands unless you can provide historical evidence that the Babylonian cubit was indeed only 11 inches.

Vadergirl123

After a little googling, it seems that the Babylonian cubit is not at all 11 inches, but rather much longer (around 20 inches). From where did he get that it was 11?
In the article he says that a babylon cubit measures from the elbow to the wrist, which on his arm measures about 11inches. It also measures about 11 on my hand as well.

mycorrhiza

In the article he says that a babylon cubit measures from the elbow to the wrist, which on his arm measures about 11inches. It also measures about 11 on my hand as well.

But he doesn't provide any source, and I couldn't find any source that said it was only 11 inches. All the sources I found said that it was much longer than so.

So you still need to provide me with a proper historical source that a babylonian cubit was indeed only 11 inches and not around 20 (as stated by all the sources I found).