• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Literary criticism: valid?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Further application of textual criticism calls into question whether there are only four authors of the Torah

Nope. Computer textual analysis calls it into question with extremely good odds. Combine that with the fact that the teaching, the lesson, taught by the Torah, Jewish Monotheism, collapses when the Torah is split?

The Documentary Hypothesis is Dead On Arrival. It always was. It always will be. The ones who cannot see that do not know The Torah.

Question: What is the Torah without its teaching? Torah literally means a teaching. Singular. What is that teaching, Indigo? You know this. You've answered it, many times here on this forum. Ethical Monotheism. That is destroyed when the Torah is split.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I believe that helps but if people are doing it without the leading of the Holy Spirit , the chances are they will be wrong.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Nope. Computer textual analysis calls it into question with extremely good odds. Combine that with the fact that the teaching, the lesson, taught by the Torah, Jewish Monotheism, collapses when the Torah is split?

The Documentary Hypothesis is Dead On Arrival. It always was. It always will be. The ones who cannot see that do not know The Torah.
Chris Harrison, the narrator of the useful charts videos, is a Christian. He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Theology and a Masters in Religious Education.
Question: What is the Torah without its teaching? Torah literally means a teaching. Singular. What is that teaching, Indigo? You know this. You've answered it, many times here on this forum. Ethical Monotheism. That is destroyed when the Torah is split.
Your reasoning is fallacious. Having more than one author of a text does not destroy the teaching of the Torah, which is the covenant between God and Israel via 613 commandments.

Consider how many, many authors there are of the New Testament. But I would wager you believe this does not destroy their message.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
...Chris Harrison Video: "Who wrote the Torah" ...

Is there anything in this video which directly addresses the points I made?
  1. in 2011 non-biased computer analysis showed that the Torah cannot be split into pieces
  2. The entire message of Ethical Monotheism collapses when the Torah is split

Your reasoning is fallacious. Having more than one author of a text does not destroy the teaching of the Torah, which is the covenant between God and Israel via 613 commandments.

When the Torah is spilt: The Torah becomes Pagan. It is no longer Monotheism. It is no longer Jewish.

That is, forgive me, the Reform Movement's cross to bear. They are teaching, and preaching, Ethical Paganism.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
  1. in 2011 non-biased computer analysis showed that the Torah cannot be split into pieces
This is laughable.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Think about that?

Perhaps think about the summary comments of Prof. Rabbi David Golinkin:

In other words, all of these Talmudic and medieval rabbis believed in Torah from Heaven, but not in Torah from Sinai. The Torah is the result of progressive revelation over the course of many centuries, as opposed to a one-time event at Mount Sinai.​
Furthermore—as the Talmud, Midrash, Maimonides, Rabbi Samuel David Luzzatto (Shadal, 1800–1865), Rabbi Abraham Isaac Kook (1865–1935) and many others have stressed—the search for truth is important and, some say, a religious value in Judaism. It behooves us to study Torah with the help of biblical criticism and archaeology since they can help us arrive at the peshat or simple meaning of the Torah.​
Thus, like many Talmudic and medieval rabbis, I believe in Torah from Heaven, but not in Torah from Sinai. Source criticism does not contradict this belief and, in many cases, helps us arrive at the peshat of the Torah. [Is it Halakhically Permitted to Study Source Criticism?]​

Or would you prefer to simply spew vile contempt for the Rabbi, the Jewish Theological Seminary, the Schechter Institute, and the Conservative (Masorti) movement?

GoodAttention

When the Torah is spilt: The Torah becomes Pagan. It is no longer Monotheism. It is no longer Jewish.

That is, forgive me, the Reform Movement's cross to bear. They are teaching, and preaching, Ethical Paganism.

Yes I'm with you on this one. "Biblical Academia" is a way for Christians to tear apart the Torah under a facade of "science".

It is the same people who say Genesis 1 and 2 are contradictory but that is not a problem because they are from different sources.

GoodAttention

That is utter nonsense unless, of course, you mean "Christians" like many of those found here?

I'm confused, these are the first four people from your link.

Prof. Rabbi Arthur Green - Biblical Criticism Is Not Science

Dr. Rabbi Yoel Bin-Nun - Humility, Skepticism, and Defining the Boundaries of Faith

Rabbi Yuval Cherlow - Better Perplexed than Whitewashed

Dr. Hayah Katz - The Torah is Greater than the Sum of Its Parts

??

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Perhaps think

Will it address what I posted? Honest question. Or are you campaigning, aka preaching? You know, passing out your bible?

I will read it reply, only, if it will address what I posted.

1) 2011, computer analysis shows there are no multiple sources of the Torah.
2) The Torah cannot be split. It is not Ethical Monotheism. It is Ethical Paganism.

The question is: What is monotheistic about the ethics of the Torah after it is split? I am 95% sure, you cannot answer this question.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Dr. Rabbi Yoel Bin-Nun - Humility, Skepticism, and Defining the Boundaries of Faith

??

He's preaching, friend. He's acting like an atheist evangelist in denial.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
That is utter nonsense unless, of course, you mean "Christians" like many of those found here?

Sorry Jay. The cat is out of the bag. Why not just set this one aside? You're wrong on this. The Reform Movement has been wrong for over 100 years. That's life.

You will be included, if you will stop attacking the Torah. The entire Reform Movement would be accepted, if they would stop this madness. Nothing else needs to change. Just stop attacking the Torah and trying to convince the world it's Pagan.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

??

Yes, you are confused. You wrote ...

.... "Biblical Academia" is a way for Christians to tear apart the Torah under a facade of "science".

The fact is that:
  1. biblical criticism is far from some insidious Christian plot (as the rabbis noted should indicate), and
  2. being Christian does not preclude being capable of contributing valuable scholarship to a field.
What you offered was little more than an uninformed anti-Christian smear.

GoodAttention

Yes, you are confused. You wrote ...

The fact is that:
  1. biblical criticism is far from some insidious Christian plot (as the rabbis noted should indicate), and
  2. being Christian does not preclude being capable of contributing valuable scholarship to a field.
What you offered was little more than an uninformed anti-Christian smear.
All you need to do is understand where "Biblical Academia" came from and who paid for it all.
Do you really think they are Jewish researchers and scholars with Jewish interests at heart? NO! It is all Christian! Catholic Church specifically!

These Rabbis you quote are too "scripturally fatigued" to offer any resistance against it. The result is nothing short of pro-Christian boot licking.
If you want to "analyze the language" for "authoral consistency" go for it, but any linguistic "scholarship" you determine should stay where it belongs, which is the academic trashcan of useful information, and not to be used as a weapon that destroys the foundation of your own belief!

It is the best example of cutting your nose to spite your face.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
a weapon that destroys the foundation of your own belief!

They don't have belief except for very rare occasions. When it happens, it's beautiful and precious. ( The Baal Shem Tov taught about it ). They need a way to practice Judaism without the inner turmoil which comes from being agnostic and more often than not, angry with God for those whom they have lost.

My Grandmother, OBM, on my mother's side. Never recovered from the Holocaust. Hated God. Very angry. It's like that. But instead of blaming the world, because it, the world, is chaotic and imperfect, they go to The Source. It's very Jewish, actually.

There's also a deep desire and hope to assimilate for the sake of peace. To make Judaism and Jews just like everyone else. They think this will prevent and prohibit persecution. They're wrong, of course. Anyway, I see @Jayhawker Soule is running away from you. And that is what they do. It's why they need to have their own community separate and apart. We, the faithful, the religious, we do not exclude them. They are always welcome. Once a Jew, always a Jew, even if they are apostate. They are not excluded. They are running away.

jimb

Premium Member

Why are you critical of your fellow Jews? Do you think that the Conservative rabbis are infallible?

It is absurd to call reform Judaism "Ethical Paganism".

Aren't you aware of God's command in Leviticus 19:18? "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord."

That comes straight from the Torah!

jimb

Premium Member
All you need to do is understand where "Biblical Academia" came from and who paid for it all.
Do you really think they are Jewish researchers and scholars with Jewish interests at heart? NO! It is all Christian! Catholic Church specifically!

These Rabbis you quote are too "scripturally fatigued" to offer any resistance against it. The result is nothing short of pro-Christian boot licking.
If you want to "analyze the language" for "authoral consistency" go for it, but any linguistic "scholarship" you determine should stay where it belongs, which is the academic trashcan of useful information, and not to be used as a weapon that destroys the foundation of your own belief!

It is the best example of cutting your nose to spite your face.
"... any linguistic "scholarship" you determine should stay where it belongs, which is the academic trashcan of useful information, and not to be used as a weapon that destroys the foundation of your own belief!" shows 110% where you're coming from!!!