• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Mary!

Niatero

*banned*
I would agree that they would be of the same "essence," regardless in all the diverse conflicting variations of Christianity.
That's what makes them one God, defining "God" as having that essence, which actually is what I think it means in the Bible. "Three persons, one God," meaning "Three persons, having one essence." Except that "persons" doesn't mean what people think it means. A better word might be "agents."

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
:D I'm not sure what "ok..." means, but if you don't believe me, look here: What Trinitarian churches teach about the Trinity
It means I believe that is what they teach. (ok?) You're right to ask, though, what I meant by 'ok...' I mean I guess that's what they teach. :) no argument with your statement. Do I differ with what is considered as a trinity? (Yes...) Or perhaps better said, do I think or believe that God is a trinity? No, I do not.

YoursTrue

All of the Trinitarian churches teach that the Son is not the Father, explicitly in those exact words, "The Son is not the Father." That means that saying that Jesus is God can only be in some sense of oneness, and what Christian doesn't agree with that?
The problem is more than one problem, that is. obviously in my opinion, for Jesus to say he and the Father are one, does not mean he IS the Father. I'm sure we agree on that. Yet he says the Father is GREATER than he is. Now that's a problem in the sense of equality, because obviously some would explain that, I think, as Jesus being in the flesh when he made that statement.

Niatero

*banned*
The problem is more than one problem, that is. obviously in my opinion, for Jesus to say he and the Father are one, does not mean he IS the Father. I'm sure we agree on that. Yet he says the Father is GREATER than he is. Now that's a problem in the sense of equality, because obviously some would explain that, I think, as Jesus being in the flesh when he made that statement.
Yeah, I forgot about the equality thing. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited:

jimb

Premium Member
The flaws in your arguments and even those who interpret a different view of scripture without the Trinity, remains problematic to define one's belief in God based on the interpretation of ancient scripture without provenance,. The problem is amplified by the diverse conflicting scriptures and interpretations in the history of humanity each describing God or Gods or no Gods based on their interpretation of their own scripture. This compounded that most believe in some form of the religion that is handed down to us from out peers culture and family.

You may rationalize your interpretation of the Trinitarian God, based on your beliefs, but so do those who reference the same scripture and justify a non-Trinitarian God. I read the scripture and see the possibility that it describes a Polytheistic hierarchy of Gods.

As far as the reality of a 'Source' some call God(s) it is increasingly like that we are all wrong. I do believe from a more universal perspective if there is a 'Source' some call Gog(s) or by other names that Sources is universal beyond any of the conflicting tribal beliefs from the human perspective.
That is why we believers have something called "faith".

jimb

Premium Member
A similar copy of a post sent to @metis

The flaws in your arguments and even those who interpret a different view of scripture without the Trinity, remains problematic to define one's belief in God based on the interpretation of ancient scripture without provenance, This is exemplified by your description of your sources in that your goal appears to justify your belief. The problem is amplified by the diverse conflicting scriptures and interpretations in the history of humanity each describing God or Gods or no Gods based on their interpretation of their own scripture.

The primary motivation among humans to seek a sense of belonging and identity. This most often results iningmost believe in some form of the religion that is handed down to us from our peers, culture and family.

You may rationalize your interpretation of the Trinitarian God, based on your beliefs, but so do those who reference the same scripture and justify a non-Trinitarian God. I read the scripture and see the possibility that it describes a Polytheistic hierarchy of Gods.

As far as the reality of a 'Source' some call God(s) it is increasingly like that we are all wrong. I do believe from a more universal perspective if there is a 'Source' some call Gog(s) or by other names that Sources is universal beyond any of the conflicting tribal beliefs from the human perspective.
That is why we believers have something called "faith".

jimb

Premium Member
Nothing ir true or not true concerning the subjective belief of fallible humans concerning the nature of God IF God exists.
God does exist. All believers know that. Your intellectualizing everything is an impediment to your understanding.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
This compounded that most believe in some form of the religion that is handed down to us from out peers culture and family.

You may rationalize your interpretation of the Trinitarian God, based on your beliefs, but so do those who reference the same scripture and justify a non-Trinitarian God.

No, not my beliefs as I taught Catholic theology to adults for 15 years and studied it in college even though I wasn't Catholic.
Your continued assumptions and willingness to jump to conclusions is pathetic, which is why I only rarely respond to your posts.
The only power Jesus and the Holy Spirit have comes from God, and this is what the Church teaches. :rolleyes:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
t does? I've been following this conversation a little bit. It helps (for me) to understand that when Jesus said he and the Father are one, he did not say he was the Father.

IMO, I think he means that they were "on the same page", namely that Jesus was repeating what God wanted him to say.

. Anyway, right now I won't go any further with that. By the way, metis, I hope you know by now that I respect you.

Ditto back at ya, so enjoy the rest of the weekend.

YoursTrue

IMO, I think he means that they were "on the same page", namely that Jesus was repeating what God wanted him to say.
Your post brought me to think about it more and I came across this scripture.
John 14:31 - (Jesus knew he was going to his death, and he told his disciples the following)
"But I do exactly what the Father has commanded me, so that the world may know that I love the Father. Get up! Let us go on from here."
(Powerful scripture...)