• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bill Nye booed in Texas after saying the moon reflects light from the sun?

Centi

Read this article about Christians storming out of a Science lecture when Bill Nye said that the moon reflects light from the Sun but does not produce any light.

Since I have yet to make 15 posts I am not allowed to post URLs.
Open google and search for "Bill Nye McLennan Community College", the two fist results are sources to the story.
Sorry for the hassle.

Some crazy stuff there. Ok, I can accept that people who are confusing the concepts of Theory and Hypothesis in Science don't think Evolution is a scientific fact. But come on! Thinking that the Moon produces light is in the same general ballpark as thinking that Earth is flat. :areyoucra

Random

I don't understand exactly how stupid and sad some American believers can get, but obviously I had underestimated the degree considerably...if the story is true, it is beyond me what exactly what beliefs some people think are concamitant with "Christianity"...

Centi

I don't understand exactly how stupid and sad some American believers can get, but obviously I had underestimated the degree considerably...if the story is true, it is beyond me what exactly what beliefs some people think are concamitant with "Christianity"...

I don't think it's a American thing... It's a fundamentalist thing. If you live isolated your entire life you are going to have some serious misconseptions. Combine that with fundamentalist relgions and you probably have nothing less then intellectiual quagmire no matter where you are from. But it does pose a decent arguement against home schooling IMHO ;)

Smoke

Done here.
Thinking that the Moon produces light is in the same general ballpark as thinking that Earth is flat. :areyoucra
Are you sayin' the earth ain't flat? You better watch out, or you're gonna burn in hell right along with that so-called Science Guy.

Random

I don't think it's a American thing... It's a fundamentalist thing. If you live isolated your entire life you are going to have some serious misconseptions. Combine that with fundamentalist relgions and you probably have nothing less then intellectiual quagmire no matter where you are from. But it does pose a decent arguement against home schooling IMHO ;)

Yes, but even basic common sense would tell you that the light of the moon is a reflection of the Sun? I mean really, it boggles the mind...here's a drooly icon for the dumb-dumb fundies then: :drool:

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Since I was a little chick, my dad told me that the moon reflects light from the sun. :p

Centi

Umm, don't you think people were mad because of his "dismemberment of Creationism?"

Yeah I dont know. But _if_ the story is correct it was the "Moon" part that did it. In other forums the discussion was that it some how went against genesis. God made the lights in the sky.. and so on .. Apperantly he didn't do 2 lights as claimed but cut some corners on made one reflect the light of the other.. Can't blame him.. he only hade a week to do it all..

Booko

Deviled Hen

I'm not sure it has so much to do with just belief, Random.

What it shows is why the U.S. keeps drifting lower on all measurements of education compared to other industrialized countries.

And it's one of the reasons we are now homeschooling our daughter. We still have two years to do a decent job of teaching her history and languages. The science at her high school was so-so, but she's capable of more depth than they offer.

nutshell

OK...after reviewing the internet for information about the incident, I've come to two conclusions:

1. Those fundies need a good science class.

2. Bill Nye could have presented his message better.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
http://www.parentdish.com/2006/04/0...e-guy-speaks-angry-fundamentalists-drag-thei/

There's a better link to the story... it tells what actually happened in relation to the moon thing, rather than just saying he tore apart creationism.
Thanks for the link but it seems neither source has the whole story....can't access it. It's hard to imagine a woman would storm out from the little bit described in the story, but you never know. People are touchy about their religion when confronted with discrepancies. :shrug:

Centi

Was it really necessary for him to bring up the Bible? Seems like he could have avoided that.

Yeah, he kinda walked right in to that one. But then again it is an important lesson that you shouldn't take the bible literally. If you and your kids can't handle that then you should seriously reevaluate your life.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
right because we should never talk about it in public.

If creationists can give bunk talks, then I think Bill Nye can get away with actual science and how it relates to the Bible.

Besides its not this is a surprize discovery.

wa:do

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I can not understand why any church would wish their followers to display such a lack of intelligence and understanding.
something is seriously awry in the world.
Fortunately such people are in a very small minority here and keep their heads down, so the contagion does not spread so easily.