• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Lives Matter Group Told Meeting Must Include Anyone

esmith

Veteran Member
Seems that the Black Lives Matter Group in Nashville TN was using the public library as a meeting place until they were told they could not hold their meetings there if it was not open to the public. Seems they may be a little racist.
Following from: http://www.tennessean.com/story/new...y-rule-runs-afoul-nashville-library/80606970/

According to Joshua Crutchfield, an organizer of the Nashville chapter of Black Lives Matter, the group has a rule: Only black people as well as non-black people of color are allowed to attend the gatherings. That means white people are excluded from attending.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist
Common among social single-issue campaigns.
Their particular issue is race neutral in one sense, race focused in another.
They themselves don't seem to realize this and have formed a little clique type setting.

Not sure they are racist, that's out of my realm of knowledge, but they are exclusionary in a way that doesn't make sense.

Kori

Dark Valkyrie...what's not to love?
They just do not get it. They think they can have black liberation by excluding a certain group. All that does is make them look no better than the racists they protest. What's next only Christians?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It will be fun to watch how the discriminatory actions of this one group are used to smear the whole Black Lives Matter Movement. Some people will not approach this incident with regret, but with glee -- perhaps because they do not believe Blacks should be so uppity as to demand that their lives do matter.

Wherenextcolumbus

I support them!
I go to female only feminist meetings. The reclaim the night march UK is women and transwomen only.
If they have open protests than you can support them that way, you can donate. Maybe they don't want to hear your opinion at meetings on an issue that doesn't effect you.
Its very important for oppressed groups to get together and learn to value each others views and experiences over the dominate group.
Your lack of compassion is really showing.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I support them!
I go to female only feminist meetings. The reclaim the night march UK is women and transwomen only.
If they have open protests than you can support them that way, you can donate. Maybe they don't want to hear your opinion at meetings on an issue that doesn't effect you.
Its very important for oppressed groups to get together and learn to value each others views and experiences over the dominate group.
I cannot support the use of public facilities for a group with racially discriminatory policies. I would not support a feminist group that utilized public facilities for "women only" meetings. Take back the night is quite a different thing.

Wherenextcolumbus

I cannot support the use of public facilities for a group with racially discriminatory policies. I would not support a feminist group that utilized public facilities for "women only" meetings. Take back the night is quite a different thing.
Your lack of compassion is showing. But I'm out of this thread because it's not worth it. We will keep going to our "discriminatory" meetings while you lot can complain here about not being about to show up and voice your opinion at every opportunity.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They just do not get it. They think they can have black liberation by excluding a certain group. All that does is make them look no better than the racists they protest. What's next only Christians?
I support their right to be exclusive.
But they shouldn't do this on public property where such discrimination is prohibited.
They could rent a privately owned venue.
I just happen to have one available.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Why supposedly is the BLM movement "a little racist"? I used to be a member of an Italian-only club, so was that supposedly "a little racist" as well?

However, with that being said, I think I can understand the library's decision, based on the past history in the state and area.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Why supposedly is the BLM movement "a little racist"? I used to be a member of an Italian-only club, so was that supposedly "a little racist" as well?

However, with that being said, I think I can understand the library's decision, based on the past history in the state and area.
"Italian" isn't a race.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Those uppity wiggers, trying to force their way into everything. Don't they know when they aren't wanted?

Can't they go to their own library?
Tom

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Why supposedly is the BLM movement "a little racist"?
The OP addressed a chapter, not the movement.
  • It is "a little racist" for the same reason that white-only restaurants were "a little racist."
  • They have every right to limit attendance to people of color much as I would have every right to limit attendance at a meeting to Jews or opera lovers -- but not at a taxpayer-funded public library.

esmith

Veteran Member
I'm think I'm a little, no make that a lot, out of touch with today's descriptive words/statements so I would appreciate someone explain to me who" non-black people of color" are. To me this means anyone that is not a Caucasian. Is that what they mean? If so would they exclude someone like Rachel Doleza. Now I'm not trying to be judgmental or argumentative, just trying to understand.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm think I'm a little, no make that a lot, out of touch with today's descriptive words/statements so I would appreciate someone explain to me who" non-black people of color" are. To me this means anyone that is not a Caucasian. Is that what they mean? If so would they exclude someone like Rachel Doleza. Now I'm not trying to be judgmental or argumentative, just trying to understand.
It includes, but is not limited to.....
Arabs, Persians, Italians, Inuit, Amerindians, South Seas Islanders, Asians, Subcontinent Asians,
Saami, Hispanics, Mulattoes, Quadroons (& further divisions), Austrialian aboriginals, The Ainu
But there are exceptions in some settings....
If any of the above look too white & assimilated, then they're not colorful enuf.
Such people might gain acceptance at such events if they wear sufficiently ethnic enuf garb.

Scott C.

Just one guy
I support them!

The question is not their right to meet exclusively. The point is that they can't do it in a public library.