• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Lives Matter Group Told Meeting Must Include Anyone

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
The question is not their right to meet exclusively. The point is that they can't do it in a public library.
That's true, because you can't do a lot of stuff on different public places, such as libraries, schools, and universities. It doesn't make Black Lives racist, because many groups have different criteria for membership that does exclude some. I can't say I'd have the same policy a regular thing myself for a political activist group, but it's not my group.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The OP addressed a chapter, not the movement.
  • It is "a little racist" for the same reason that white-only restaurants were "a little racist."
  • They have every right to limit attendance to people of color much as I would have every right to limit attendance at a meeting to Jews or opera lovers -- but not at a taxpayer-funded public library.
To the first point, the BLM has at it's main goal then ending of racial discrimination, so I don't see a parallel with that and the white-only restaurant situation of decades ago. Also, that movement does allow other "races" to participate, although I don't know if that applies to leadership and planning meetings.

To the second point, I agree with you.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I and a few friends built a clubhouse in the woods when we were like 10. We put up a really foreboding sign about girls not being allowed. Exclusionary attitudes never seem to wander too much from this basic template, regardless of age or agenda.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I and a few friends built a clubhouse in the woods when we were like 10. We put up a really foreboding sign about girls not being allowed. Exclusionary attitudes never seem to wander too much from this basic template, regardless of age or agenda.
Is that you next to @BSM1?
th

Curious George

Veteran Member
Your lack of compassion is showing. But I'm out of this thread because it's not worth it. We will keep going to our "discriminatory" meetings while you lot can complain here about not being about to show up and voice your opinion at every opportunity.
Are you suggesting one has to support all groups in order to be compassionate? That is absurd.

Shadow Wolf

Personally, I am curious as to why they don't want white people in. Limiting your numbers isn't something to do if you want to spread your influence (not unless you have no qualms with using violence to spread it or have unfortunately come to violence), but, at the same time, you don't want outsiders to take over either. Maybe they've had more problems with whites supporting them than it's been worth? Perhaps it's paranoia or reasonable suspicion that has them keeping white people out? Like it or not, white people, as a whole, do not know oppression and racial stereotyping like racial minorities know.

Saint Frankenstein

Here for the ride
Premium Member
I support them!
I go to female only feminist meetings. The reclaim the night march UK is women and transwomen only.
If they have open protests than you can support them that way, you can donate. Maybe they don't want to hear your opinion at meetings on an issue that doesn't effect you.
Its very important for oppressed groups to get together and learn to value each others views and experiences over the dominate group.
Your lack of compassion is really showing.
Then meet at someone's house. Don't use public facilities and discriminate.

Scott C.

Just one guy
That's true, because you can't do a lot of stuff on different public places, such as libraries, schools, and universities. It doesn't make Black Lives racist, because many groups have different criteria for membership that does exclude some. I can't say I'd have the same policy a regular thing myself for a political activist group, but it's not my group.

They can do it on private property if they want. I can understand wanting to meet with only participants who support their cause, but those come from all races. I'm not convinced that cops value black lives less than whites or others. Of course it's terrible if a cop kills a black person because of race and without justification. Does the "Black Lives Matter" movement spend any time fighting against blacks who kill blacks? There are far more such murders.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Personally, I am curious as to why they don't want white people in.
Because they're racist. How hard is that to see?
If a "Stormfront Meetup" group wanted to use the public library and exclude people based on race, would you have any trouble judging their motives?
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Because they're racist. How hard is that to see?
Excluding a group does not inherent have racist motives. Are the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts sexist because they exclude each other? Is the VFW bigoted towards non-veterans?
If a "Stormfront Meetup" group wanted to use the public library and exclude people based on race, would you have any trouble judging their motives?
Stormfront is white supremacist refuse. It is anti-semite, and even promotes Holocaust denial. Black Lives Matter is a political movement based on the reality that black people, even those who are clearly unarmed, are killed far more frequently by police than white people, and the cops rarely face any consequences for their poor decisions and actions. Meeting in a library, however, isn't really suitable for any political activist group, or any group that isn't doing something research related or promoting reading and literacy.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Excluding a group does not inherent have racist motives. Are the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts sexist because they exclude each other? Is the VFW bigoted towards non-veterans?

Stormfront is white supremacist refuse. It is anti-semite, and even promotes Holocaust denial. Black Lives Matter is a political movement based on the reality that black people, even those who are clearly unarmed, are killed far more frequently by police than white people, and the cops rarely face any consequences for their poor decisions and actions. Meeting in a library, however, isn't really suitable for any political activist group, or any group that isn't doing something research related or promoting reading and literacy.
I did a little searching (limited by time, energy, & Grand Marnier) to find the extent that the cop violence problem is gender based more than racially, but couldn't find anything. A cursory examination of the news suggests that black women fare proportionately better than black & white men. So perhaps BLM is more sexist than racist.
Note: Noboby's perfect.

Last edited:

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Excluding a group does not inherent have racist motives.
Excluding a group based on race most certainly does have inherently racist motives. And it would be obvious to the most PC of people, if it were white folks doing it.
But they don't expect black people to know any better.
Tom

Shadow Wolf

Excluding a group based on race most certainly does have inherently racist motives.
We don't even know why they have such a policy. Could it be they have experiences like some feminist groups who start to exclude men because it was causing too many problems (too many single guys looking for a date)? What about transgender groups who often and typically exclude cisgender people (to keep out fetishistic "chasers")? What about the Asatru, who require members to have European ancestry (many falsely believe they are a racial/separatist group because of this)? They may be racist, but all we can do is speculate, and a part of that speculation is the possibility of non-racist motives being the purpose of not allowing white people.
But they don't expect black people to know any better.
Or maybe it's assumed that groups that exclude certain people from membership and participation is a normal and routine thing?
if it were white folks doing it.
White people do do it quiet abit.

freethinker44

And it would be obvious to the most PC of people, if it were white folks doing it.
This is actually a kind of litmus test I apply to judge my own beliefs, and those of others, to determine if they are... less than egalitarian.
Just swap the objects for white/black people and see if it's racist.
Basically, "if this were a white person saying/doing this to a black person, would it be racist?"
If yes, I reject or reevaluate them.

Wirey

Fartist
I support them!
I go to female only feminist meetings. The reclaim the night march UK is women and transwomen only.
If they have open protests than you can support them that way, you can donate. Maybe they don't want to hear your opinion at meetings on an issue that doesn't effect you.
Its very important for oppressed groups to get together and learn to value each others views and experiences over the dominate group.
Your lack of compassion is really showing.

Compassion? It's law. They are discriminating based on colour in a public library. Go do it in your basement and I don't care, but ask me to pay for the electricity and say I can't attend? Forget that!

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
While my church was "between buildings", the board wanted to hold meetings in the library's facilities. There was a question about whether the library staff would allow a religious group the use of the meeting rooms.
Turned out not to be a problem at all. All the staff cared about was that the meeting be open to the public.
Unsurprisingly, not a soul in the county took unusual interest in the doings of a rinky dink UU congregation.
Tom

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
While my church was "between buildings", the board wanted to hold meetings in the library's facilities. There was a question about whether the library staff would allow a religious group the use of the meeting rooms.
Turned out not to be a problem at all. All the staff cared about was that the meeting be open to the public.
Unsurprisingly, not a soul in the county took unusual interest in the doings of a rinky dink UU congregation.
Tom
Except for that loud drunk guy with a Scottish accent.
I thought it was an AA meeting, not a UU meeting!