• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black Lives Matter Group Told Meeting Must Include Anyone

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
They just don't allow overt bigotry on the premises.
Is it overt bigotry when youth groups don't allow adult members? Is it overt bigotry that the VFW allows only veterans? What about the many women only and men only events and groups? Is it bigotry when a neo-Pagan group doesn't allow Christians?

freethinker44

Is it overt bigotry when youth groups don't allow adult members? Is it overt bigotry that the VFW allows only veterans? What about the many women only and men only events and groups? Is it bigotry when a neo-Pagan group doesn't allow Christians?
Yes

and I don't think youth groups and the VFW are good examples. I can't recall any of the youth groups I've been apart of ever banning adults, in fact they always seemed to be looking for more adult help in the groups, and the VFW is very welcoming. Our local VFW hall used to host all kinds of community events, and even let high school kids use their facilities for metal concerts every weekend.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Depends.
Are they a political group? Are they expecting me to pay for their accommodation? Am I unexpected, or refused?

If they are a political group who prefers not to hear opinions that they don't like, but want taxpayers to pay, then yeah I think that they are racist dickheads.
They can rent their own room at a motel and be as racist as they want to be.
Tom

esmith

Veteran Member
You do know that VFW stands for Veterans of Foreign Wars and not all veterans qualify? You do know that the VFW is open to all genders?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
So how do the #blacklivesmatter people decide who is too white to attend? Do they use the paper bag test?
Tom

RRex

Premium Member
Not sure they are racist, that's out of my realm of knowledge, but they are exclusionary in a way that doesn't make sense.
For God's sake, call a spade a spade. People are so GD afraid to speak the truth. It is absurd.

They are racist. Period. :mad:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Civil rights treat age very differently than race, and for good reason. Vfw? That involves an active choice.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Depends.
Are they a political group? Are they expecting me to pay for their accommodation? Am I unexpected, or refused?
Depends is a key word. We don't know why they exclude white people. For all we know they just hate white people. For all we know they had problems letting white people in.
I can't recall any of the youth groups I've been apart of ever banning adults, in fact they always seemed to be looking for more adult help in the groups,
I'm not referring to helping or volunteering with youth groups, but regular membership. The VFW is a good example, because their title says it all in who can be members (well, not really, as family can join, but it still excludes some based on a small yes-or-no question).
You do know that VFW stands for Veterans of Foreign Wars and not all veterans qualify?
You do know it's been well over a century sense America has had a domestic war, thus satisfying the "foreign" part for any veteran who has seen war since the groups inception?
And, I never stated they base membership on gender.

They mess up Bernie rallies.
Those weren't BLM activists. They claimed they are, but BLM has stated they want those two women to apologize for interrupting Bernie and for using the BLM name.
For God's sake, call a spade a spade. People are so GD afraid to speak the truth. It is absurd.

Is it racist for Italians to have Italians only groups? Again, we don't know why they have that policy.
So how do the #blacklivesmatter people decide who is too white to attend? Do they use the paper bag test?
Tom
That would probably be a better way to test for racial motives. Would they allow the lightest skinned brothers and sisters in? What about someone with vitiligo?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Civil rights treat age very differently than race, and for good reason. Vfw? That involves an active choice.
Many vets might dispute their having choice.
The draft was a coercive thing, backed up by threat of force & imprisonment.
These youngsters don't understand what wonderful privilege they have these days.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Those weren't BLM activists. They claimed they are, but BLM has stated they want those two women to apologize for interrupting Bernie and for using the BLM name.
Did we just witness the arrival of the "No True BLM Activist Fallacy"?
Like other groups (eg, feminists, MRMs), they have too much diversity to limit all elements.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Many vets might dispute their having choice.
The draft was a coercive thing, backed up by threat of force & imprisonment.
These youngsters don't understand what wonderful privilege they have these days.
Lol, I meant in comparison to race or gender. Obviously, even during the draft choice was available. Didn't you....never mind.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Lol, I meant in comparison to race or gender. Obviously, even during the draft choice was available. Didn't you....never mind.
Consider that there are degrees of choice.
If you're ordered to do something under penalty of going to prison, then this certainly isn't a free choice.
Race is sometimes easily chosen, depending upon one's appearance.
Gender.....physical appearance can be chosen, but at great pain & expense.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Consider that there are degrees of choice.
If you're ordered to do something under penalty of going to prison, then this certainly isn't a free choice.
Race is sometimes easily chosen, depending upon one's appearance.
Gender.....physical appearance can be chosen, but at great pain & expense.
I considered. The degree of choice isn't comparable.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I considered. The degree of choice isn't comparable.
These kids have more choice these days, now that the draft is over.
They don't face the decisions of fleeing the country, going to prison, or being sent off to a war.
Many draftees died in service....far far more than died at the hands of errant cops.
(Moreover, women & trans folk don't even have to register for the draft.)
They utterly fail to understand the great privilege they have relative to others.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

Just because other people tell me they are racist doesn't mean they are racist.
All I've seen on the issue is their exclusionary attitude, nothing that has really earned them being called racist.
If you want to provide that nugget of info that would show they are undoubtedly racist, I'd happily look at it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Just because other people tell me they are racist doesn't mean they are racist.
All I've seen on the issue is their exclusionary attitude, nothing that has really earned them being called racist.
If you want to provide that nugget of info that would show they are undoubtedly racist, I'd happily look at it.
To exclude like minded people solely because of race sure looks racist to me.