• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black man harrassed by white neighbors for fishing in his own neighborhood.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
So you are saying you haven't even looked at his TikTok page yourself? Yet you accept the second hand account in the OP link. Interesting. I guess it isn't that important to you really if you can't be bothered to look it up yourself. I've seen them. I could even post a link to them. But I won't. His FB and TikTok pages are available. Go and find them yourself if you are truly interested.
Someone else provided the information. He moved in with his dad and apparently didn't update those.
Or do you think Tick Tock counts as a legal document?

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Tis not you specifically. But you & I exist
in a culture that presumes racism whenever
whites & blacks interact to the detriment
of the latter. It's confirmation bias.
I merely resist presumption more than many.
I think your resistance is, in this case, less than commendable.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Problem is the media making this little story go national and even international. It’s part of a lowbrow effort to stir up emotionally charged issues like whites are so racist. By over-focusing on something small like this over and over again they create an unfair and inaccurate opinion of whites that has actually set race relations unnecessarily backwards in the last decade.

It’s baloney.
Yikes, I'm not even sure how to approach butthurt of this magnitude.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yikes, I'm not even sure how to approach butthurt of this magnitude.
Those who appear "butthurt"
shouldn't dis others for being so.

It's an over-used term. Moreover, describing
the emotional state of another poster has long
been treated as a rule violation. Tread lightly.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Problem is the media making this little story go national and even international. It’s part of a lowbrow effort to stir up emotionally charged issues like whites are so racist. By over-focusing on something small like this over and over again they create an unfair and inaccurate opinion of whites that has actually set race relations unnecessarily backwards in the last decade.

It’s baloney.
Or it could be a symptom of a bigger problem. Ironically all of the people trying to use the slightest straw to defend the nosy neighbors supports the claim that it is a symptom of a bigger problem. You have added to the evidence of it being a problem.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So, then, regardless of residency, it would seem that Gibson had a legal permit to fish in that location. This would be true regardless of whether he lives in Columbus or Newnan. So, that brings us back to the question of why these people were questioning him, and under what authority? If there were game and fish wardens there checking for fishing licenses, that might be a different matter, but it didn't appear that these people had that kind of authority.
That is another good point. Even if it was a private facility they do not have that authority. It is rather telling that they thought that black people could not live in their community. At the most they could have called the police to investigate.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Or it could be a symptom of a bigger problem. Ironically all of the people trying to use the slightest straw to defend the nosy neighbors supports the claim that it is a symptom of a bigger problem. You have added to the evidence of it being a problem.
Your logic escapes me. I am only speaking for myself here.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not even sure how it matters anyway. It was pointed out upthread that his father is a verified owner of a house in that subdivision, and the rules of the subdivision allow for guests to use the lake for fishing. In any case, the issue is not whether he had a legal permit to fish there, but why random people felt the need to question him anyway.
I don't think it does. It is a failed excuse to dismiss the claims of racism. Gibson was legally able to fish where he was fishing at the same place where other fishermen that were not residents regularly fished without bother.
Even the person from the board of directors admitted that there may have been some racist attitudes among the residents, but he also thought it might have been a misunderstanding. That one woman ended up losing her job over this, so the spa that let her go might have thought it would have reflected badly on their reputation if they retained her.
I know that not every claim of racism is valid, but I think it is in this case based on the evidence. These things should be examined, but just because questions can be raised is not evidence to reject the claim.
There seems to be an implied suggestion that Gibson is posting these videos in bad faith, that he's setting up these situations so he can claim racism. Driving all the way from Columbus to Newnan, Georgia just to go fishing at a place where he doesn't live. Maybe if he has to drive that far just to find racists in Georgia, maybe that's a sign of progress. But a little further north, and he'd be in MTG's district.
I think that is the purpose. To imply that a man frustrated by continual attention that bears the hallmarks of racism would resort to filming these encounters doesn't at all seem an unreasonable response. In the cases involving the police, it may even be wise to roll tape as a precaution against risk.

MTG! There's a pleasant prospect.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh my! I had to backtrack a bit in that thread. And yes, it does appear that way. Sadly I can see myself going that way. That is if I did not question everything including myself at times. Having a bit of self doubt can be a very useful trait. If one is too sure of oneself it is very easy to maintain a false narrative.

wellwisher

Despite the fact that white residents weren't constantly harassed in the same manner?
Some upper scale subdivisions have neighborhood watch policies, because of fear of crime due to their fancy things. The fisherman should have quickly proved his residency, to calm their fears. Now they know him.

I read the article and fisherman never said the same people approached him again and again, after he proved he lived there. That would prove racism, instead of someone, not well known, living in a bizzy body, neighborhood watch, mentality.

Lake front properties, near where he fished, tend to be more expensive in such a community. The lake would have a good view of the wealthiest people's houses and therefore he would become noticeable to the most paranoid due to their conspicuous wealth.

I used to work a delivery job many years back. I often had to go to gated communities with guards. Even with signage on the van, the guards would initially seem cold and suspicious, until they saw me come and go a few times. I did not take it personally. Often while interacting with the final customers, inside the gate, some were very pleasant; new money, and others look down their nose. The latter felt weird since I was a good person, but only had a modest job. Rich and poor have its own form of poor-ism and rich-ism often based on designer uniforms.

The fisherman in the video seemed well dress for fishing and seemed to be clear eyed. He could have nipped this in the bud, but preferred to keep the stress going, as Lefty bait. He is fisherman and knows his click bait.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Some upper scale subdivisions have neighborhood watch policies, because of fear of crime due to their fancy things. The fisherman should have quickly proved his residency, to calm their fears. Now they know him.

I read the article and fisherman never said the same people approached him again and again, after he proved he lived there. That would prove racism, instead of someone, not well known, living in a bizzy body, neighborhood watch, mentality.

Lake front properties, near where he fished, tend to be more expensive in such a community. The lake would have a good view of the wealthiest people's houses and therefore he would become noticeable to the most paranoid due to their conspicuous wealth.

I used to work a delivery job many years back. I often had to go to gated communities with guards. Even with signage on the van, the guards would initially seem cold and suspicious, until they saw me come and go a few times. I did not take it personally. Often while interacting with the final customers, inside the gate, some were very pleasant; new money, and others look down their nose. The latter felt weird since I was a good person, but only had a modest job. Rich and poor have its own form of poor-ism and rich-ism often based on designer uniforms.

The fisherman in the video seemed well dress for fishing and seemed to be clear eyed. He could have nipped this in the bud, but preferred to keep the stress going, as Lefty bait. He is fisherman and knows his click bait.
Interesting. Now do Emmitt Till.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member

I'm not at all surprised that one of the people defending the community of Springwater Plantation (which includes the video I posted of a member of this same community openly screaming at a Black fisherman about how his fishing was a ruse to break into the man's house) would also have been awed by The Bell Curve.

Authors Herrnstein's and Murray's 1994 book, The Bell Curve, has long since been debunked by mainstream science. The authors presented it as a scholarly work yet failed to submit it for peer review prior to publication. In addition to the debunking by accredited scientists of certain claims about race and intelligence in this book, it was revealed that the work was partially funded by the Pioneer Fund, "an American non-profit foundation and alleged hate group established in 1937 'to advance the scientific study of heredity and human differences'. The organization has been described as racist and white supremacist in nature. One of its first projects was to fund the distribution in US churches and schools of Erbkrank, a Nazi propaganda film about eugenics." (quote source)

"As the horror of the Nazi death camps became known, the science of Eugenics was discredited. Nevertheless, after the war, back in the US, the Pioneer Fund, bankrolled by Wickliffe Draper, continued to pay for research in race betterment. One recent Pioneer funded study, for example, examined the IQ of non white immigrants. The fund also funnels money to anti immigration organizations. Its officers and researchers have also fought school desegregation. Professor Michael Levin, who recently got $124,000 from the Pioneer Fund, says black people should be detained under some circumstances simply because they're black." -- Bill Blakemore, news correspondent, quoted from a transcript of the ABC World News Tonight story on The Bell Curve and the Pioneer Fund, broadcast on November 22, 1994.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I'm not at all surprised that one of the people defending the community of Springwater Plantation (which includes the video I posted of a member of this same community openly screaming at a Black fisherman about how his fishing was a ruse to break into the man's house) would also have been awed by The Bell Curve.

Authors Herrnstein's and Murray's 1994 book, The Bell Curve, has long since been debunked by mainstream science. The authors presented it as a scholarly work yet failed to submit it for peer review prior to publication. In addition to the debunking by accredited scientists of certain claims about race and intelligence in this book, it was revealed that the work was partially funded by the Pioneer Fund, "an American non-profit foundation and alleged hate group established in 1937 'to advance the scientific study of heredity and human differences'. The organization has been described as racist and white supremacist in nature. One of its first projects was to fund the distribution in US churches and schools of Erbkrank, a Nazi propaganda film about eugenics." (quote source)

"As the horror of the Nazi death camps became known, the science of Eugenics was discredited. Nevertheless, after the war, back in the US, the Pioneer Fund, bankrolled by Wickliffe Draper, continued to pay for research in race betterment. One recent Pioneer funded study, for example, examined the IQ of non white immigrants. The fund also funnels money to anti immigration organizations. Its officers and researchers have also fought school desegregation. Professor Michael Levin, who recently got $124,000 from the Pioneer Fund, says black people should be detained under some circumstances simply because they're black." -- Bill Blakemore, news correspondent, quoted from a transcript of the ABC World News Tonight story on The Bell Curve and the Pioneer Fund, broadcast on November 22, 1994.
Disgusting.