• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Black man harrassed by white neighbors for fishing in his own neighborhood.

Shaul

Premium Member
Your claims regarding his status in the community where he is being harassed are incorrect and have been shown to be incorrect. If you want to draw conclusions on incorrect information and persist in its use, that is up to you. Given that you have failed to convince anyone to ignore what they have read in the report, I don't see a need to waste further words on it.

"Neighbors, in a viral video, Anthony Gibson of Columbus, Georgia," Login • Instagram
"Neighbors, in a viral video, Anthony Gibson of Columbus, Georgia, ... https://www.tiktok.com/video/7255671254118583598 "Lives in Columbus, Georgia" Anthony Gibson
"Gibson, who resides in a Columbus neighborhood" Georgia clinic fires its employee after she harassed a Black fisherman on video
"Gibson, who lives in Columbus, Georgia" White Georgia woman is FIRED from therapist job over viral TikTok of her harassing Black fisherman Anthony Gibson

Mr. Gibson lives in Columbus, Georgia. You're done.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I need to copy and paste this from the OP's article:

"According to the Springwater Plantation’s homeowners association, fishing with a permit is allowed at the private community’s lake. Gibson frequently fishes for food and said he has a permit to fish in the state of Georgia."

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Where did you get your information that that is indeed the case?

And plus, we aren't told the community's rules for residence checking for the lake. I would bet such rules are color-blind. They may be perfectly within their rights to ask.
People do not have the right to try to enforce the law that way. If I saw you could I demand to see your ID?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
The title is

Black man harrassed by white neighbors for fishing in his own neighborhood.​

Nowadays would we ever see a headline worded:

White man harrassed by black neighbors for fishing in his own neighborhood.​

To me the predicatable wording of headline after headline is comical if not sadly.

Or if it involves police it's always something like 'unarmed black man blah, blah, blah'. It's an eyeroller to me.
So how exactly does a discrepancy in media coverage discredit the guy's claims? You doubt by default and disregard any evidence. That's an eyeroller to me.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"Neighbors, in a viral video, Anthony Gibson of Columbus, Georgia," Login • Instagram
"Neighbors, in a viral video, Anthony Gibson of Columbus, Georgia, ... https://www.tiktok.com/video/7255671254118583598 "Lives in Columbus, Georgia" Anthony Gibson
"Gibson, who resides in a Columbus neighborhood" Georgia clinic fires its employee after she harassed a Black fisherman on video
"Gibson, who lives in Columbus, Georgia" White Georgia woman is FIRED from therapist job over viral TikTok of her harassing Black fisherman Anthony Gibson

The Facebook account was last updated over two years ago. At best you could say that he lived there. A lot of people only dabble rather lightly in social media. Once again, he has not posted there for over two years. When did this event occur? Are you aware that people do move?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
And too bad that Shaul does not read his own sources. Please note that I posted that the home owners association posted that anyone can fish there. One of his sources explains why:

"The big bombshell is that the lake is no longer private. It was deeded to the city for maintenance reasons—too expensive for the HOA to maintain."

It appears that if @Shaul owns any handguns that he is definitely missing a toe or two at the least.

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Fairness and equality. It disgusts me!!

This is what had me shaking my head: "'People like you' could mean those who don't respect property lines."

After seeing that video I posted (or reading the transcript I took the time to provide)... Well, if that's not a case of defending the indefensible, then I don't know what is.

I'm not Black, so maybe I don't have a dog in this fight. But I know right from wrong when I see it, and I'm not going to shut up and sit down. My parents brought me up better than that. Maybe that's my agenda.

Dan From Smithville

For the World Is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky
Staff member
Premium Member
So you think some article written by a second person from NBC is a more accurate source for determining Mr. Gibson's residence than his very own personally controlled social media sites. Yeah, I think Mr. Gibson can identify where he lives.

I think we can ignore you.
You can't. That's the point. You have to keep coming back harder and harder apparently. It isn't enough that you were wrong, you have double down.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

The article of the OP is dated July 28, 2023, 5:00 AM CDT. It claims several times, internally consistent with interviews of others, that he is a resident of a place you claim he is not.

You've taken this from a discussion of racism to beating me down on dated evidence that doesn't support your claim he is not a resident of Springwater Plantation where he also fishes. There is further evidence within the article that he has lived there for as much as a year.

I find it interesting that being shown to be wrong causes this sort of response. Not what I was expecting at all. I'm shaking my head at the intensity and direction of what appears to have become a mission.

You are wrong. It is that simple.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Whether you are done with this or not is up to you. I can't agree that you have succeeded in supporting your claims. Frankly, I don't even know why this suddenly so much, given the information from that article says exactly the opposite of what you claim. He can't be the criminal you claim, since he has every reason and right to fish where he lives.

I'm astonished at the intensity this has revealed.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The article of the OP is dated July 28, 2023, 5:00 AM CDT. It claims several times, internally consistent with interviews of others, that he is a resident of a place you claim he is not.

You've taken this from a discussion of racism to beating me down on dated evidence that doesn't support your claim he is not a resident of Springwater Plantation where he also fishes. There is further evidence within the article that he has lived there for as much as a year.

I find it interesting that being shown to be wrong causes this sort of response. Not what I was expecting at all. I'm shaking my head at the intensity and direction of what appears to have become a mission.

You are wrong. It is that simple.

I'm not even sure how it matters anyway. It was pointed out upthread that his father is a verified owner of a house in that subdivision, and the rules of the subdivision allow for guests to use the lake for fishing. In any case, the issue is not whether he had a legal permit to fish there, but why random people felt the need to question him anyway.

Even the person from the board of directors admitted that there may have been some racist attitudes among the residents, but he also thought it might have been a misunderstanding. That one woman ended up losing her job over this, so the spa that let her go might have thought it would have reflected badly on their reputation if they retained her.

There seems to be an implied suggestion that Gibson is posting these videos in bad faith, that he's setting up these situations so he can claim racism. Driving all the way from Columbus to Newnan, Georgia just to go fishing at a place where he doesn't live. Maybe if he has to drive that far just to find racists in Georgia, maybe that's a sign of progress. But a little further north, and he'd be in MTG's district.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm not even sure how it matters anyway. It was pointed out upthread that his father is a verified owner of a house in that subdivision, and the rules of the subdivision allow for guests to use the lake for fishing. In any case, the issue is not whether he had a legal permit to fish there, but why random people felt the need to question him anyway.

Even the person from the board of directors admitted that there may have been some racist attitudes among the residents, but he also thought it might have been a misunderstanding. That one woman ended up losing her job over this, so the spa that let her go might have thought it would have reflected badly on their reputation if they retained her.

There seems to be an implied suggestion that Gibson is posting these videos in bad faith, that he's setting up these situations so he can claim racism. Driving all the way from Columbus to Newnan, Georgia just to go fishing at a place where he doesn't live. Maybe if he has to drive that far just to find racists in Georgia, maybe that's a sign of progress. But a little further north, and he'd be in MTG's district.
It goes beyond that. The HOA was cited as the source that anyone with a license can fish there now and to back it up one the contributors to a source that @Shaul linked claimed that the HOA could not afford upkeep on the lake so they donated it to the city.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
People do not have the right to try to enforce the law that way. If I saw you could I demand to see your ID?
Depends if I’m using a private facility. This may have even been their responsibility for all we know. Or members are encouraged to check???

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
So how exactly does a discrepancy in media coverage discredit the guy's claims? You doubt by default and disregard any evidence. That's an eyeroller to me.
Problem is the media making this little story go national and even international. It’s part of a lowbrow effort to stir up emotionally charged issues like whites are so racist. By over-focusing on something small like this over and over again they create an unfair and inaccurate opinion of whites that has actually set race relations unnecessarily backwards in the last decade.

It’s baloney.

Orbit

I'm a planet
Problem is the media making this little story go national and even international. It’s part of a lowbrow effort to stir up emotionally charged issues like whites are so racist. By over-focusing on something small like this over and over again they create an unfair and inaccurate opinion of whites that has actually set race relations unnecessarily backwards in the last decade.

It’s baloney.

So say the white people who don't like to think about that racial issues are in fact, a thing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It goes beyond that. The HOA was cited as the source that anyone with a license can fish there now and to back it up one the contributors to a source that @Shaul linked claimed that the HOA could not afford upkeep on the lake so they donated it to the city.

So, then, regardless of residency, it would seem that Gibson had a legal permit to fish in that location. This would be true regardless of whether he lives in Columbus or Newnan. So, that brings us back to the question of why these people were questioning him, and under what authority? If there were game and fish wardens there checking for fishing licenses, that might be a different matter, but it didn't appear that these people had that kind of authority.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What is my agenda, Revoltingest? Please tell me.
Tis not you specifically. But you & I exist
in a culture that presumes racism whenever
whites & blacks interact to the detriment
of the latter. It's confirmation bias.
I merely resist presumption more than many.