• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

Watchmen

Premium Member
I dont want to sound dumb..But can you get married again once your in heaven?

Love

Dallas

People can get married in this life and in the Spirit World (the place we go after we die but before final judgment). After final judgment there is no more marriage.

Truth_Faith13

I think I answered that in POST #252. But again, I suppose closest would be evangelical, not fundamentalist. Fairly eclectic in my views regarding various aspects of the Christian faith. I've criticized fellow evangelicals before, as well as fundamentalists, where I thought there were problems. So, I try to be fair....some call that an equal-opportunity offender. LoL.

RA

Oh sorry I havent looked at all the posts!

Truth_Faith13

And now suddenly, even the LDS don't know what the LDS believe. "Hello! Does anyone know what Mormonism teaches?!" :help:

I believe you are in error.

Entrance into the Celestial Kingdom (which has three tiers), is NOT full exaltation -- i.e., godhood. Exaltation is achieved only in the highest tier of the Celestial Kingdom. And to achieve that tier (exaltation) you MUST be married. I offer the following statement from the official LDS Church website, By Elder B. Renato Maldonado
Area Authority Seventy, South America North Area, titled "Messages from the Doctrine & Covenants: The Three Degrees of Glory":
We do not know much about who will inherit two of the three degrees within the celestial kingdom. However, much has been said about the highest level in the celestial kingdom, or exaltation, because that is where the Father wants all of His children to live (see Moses 1:39). The Doctrine and Covenants teaches that temple marriage is the key to obtaining exaltation...
I think Elder Maldonado knows what he is talking about. Is he wrong? He is the Area Authority Seventy of your Church and this is published in the Church's official magazine, Ensign, April, 2005.

And, of course, "exaltation," is full godhood, as noted by LDS Apostle Bruce McConkie: "That exaltation which the saints of all ages have so devoutly sought is godhood itself" (Mormon Doctrine, p. 321).

R.A.

Sorry Watchmen, but I actually agree with RA here, this is how I was taught it!

Watchmen

Premium Member
doppelgänger;1357246 said:
That seems like a nasty thing to tell people.

I suppose it depends on how it was expressed. If Mormons are right then don't you think people should be given the honest and true consequences for their actions? As a lawyer, don't you advise your client - even if the advice might be unpleasant?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
People can get married in this life and in the Spirit World (the place we go after we die but before final judgment). After final judgment there is no more marriage.

So then you could remarry your spouse that you had here if you wanted to.(if you arent "sealed" alrready)

Love

Dallas

Watchmen

Premium Member

Well, so be it. I'll concede for the moment that only the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom is exaltation - However, the way you and RA are framing things, it makes the other levels of the Celestial Kingdom sound not too great. People, being in the Celestial Kingdom is HEAVEN - it's being with GOD. Doesn't sound too shabby, IMO.

Watchmen

Premium Member

You were also taught that family members wouldn't see each other, which was incorrect. It's not that we won't see each other it's that we won't have the same legal relationship we enjoy now.

Truth_Faith13

Well, so be it. I'll concede for the moment that only the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom is exaltation - However, the way you and RA are framing things, it makes the other levels of the Celestial Kingdom sound not too great. People, being in the Celestial Kingdom is HEAVEN - it's being with GOD. Doesn't sound too shabby, IMO.

How have I made it sound not great....I said you get to be with your family in the celestial kingdom. Its the other two kingdoms you don't get to be with your family. If you are in the celestial kingdom and your family aren't, you can see them but they cant see you.

Truth_Faith13

You were also taught that family members wouldn't see each other, which was incorrect. It's not that we won't see each other it's that we won't have the same legal relationship we enjoy now.

There is no legal relationship between a mother and daughter or son or father etc.....You are confusing family and marriage!

Watchmen

Premium Member
How have I made it sound not great....I said you get to be with your family in the celestial kingdom. Its the other two kingdoms you don't get to be with your family. If you are in the celestial kingdom and your family aren't, you can see them but they cant see you.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying now. Do you know that there are also different levels within the Celestial Kingdom itself?

1. If you are sealed you may enter the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom as a family.

2. If you are not sealed you may enter the other levels of the Celestial Kingdom, but you will no longer be a legal family

3. Those in higher degrees may visit those in lower degrees, but not vice versa.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
I suppose it depends on how it was expressed. If Mormons are right then don't you think people should be given the honest and true consequences for their actions? As a lawyer, don't you advise your client - even if the advice might be unpleasant?
Let me amend my statement. That's a nasty thing to believe.

Watchmen

Premium Member
There is no legal relationship between a mother and daughter or son or father etc.....You are confusing family and marriage!

Dream Angel, marriage is the new and everlasting covenant that legally binds the family together forever. We were all God's children before coming to earth but we did not have the family relationships. If we are not sealed, then we revert back to being equals as God's children, without the family titles, rights, and responsibilities.

Watchmen

Premium Member
doppelgänger;1357272 said:
Let me amend my statement. That's a nasty thing to believe.

It's a nasty thing to believe that the family unit doesn't have to end at death - that it can continue forever? OK, Dopp. :rolleyes:

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Either we're right or we're wrong. If we're right then it's not subjective belief, it's God's law and that's justification enough.
Really?! That would excuse any act carrried out with the subjective belief that it was in furtherance of "God's will." Consider the ramifications.

Truth_Faith13

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying now. Do you know that there are also different levels within the Celestial Kingdom itself?

1. If you are sealed you may enter the highest level of the Celestial Kingdom as a family.

2. If you are not sealed you may enter the other levels of the Celestial Kingdom, but you will no longer be a legal family

3. Those in higher degrees may visit those in lower degrees, but not vice versa.

See there we have our problem. I wasnt talking about the degrees of the celestial kingdom. I know there are different degrees of the celestial kingdom. I was talking about the two lower levels of heaven.

Ok here is what I was taught....There are three levels of heaven, Celestial (with three levels itself), Terrestial and Telestial (I cant spell them!). In order to get into the Celestial Kingdom you have to be baptised LDS and I think endowed as well...but I could be wrong on that aspect.

You only get to be with your family IF you go to the Celestial Kingdom. If your family (ie non-members) are in either Terrestial or Telestial, you wont get to see them.

The what you said, but the ones in lower degrees cant actually see the ones in the higher degrees visiting them.

Watchmen

Premium Member
And here I was thinking that heaven is being united with everyone I love.

Silly moth.

There's a difference between being with the people you love and having the legal relationship continue, enabling eternal progression.

Even if people aren't sealed, they can end up in the Celestial Kingdom together and be best buddies forever in the presence of God.

Truth_Faith13

Dream Angel, marriage is the new and everlasting covenant that legally binds the family together forever. We were all God's children before coming to earth but we did not have the family relationships. If we are not sealed, then we revert back to being equals as God's children, without the family titles, rights, and responsibilities.

This is just getting more and more complicated and me liking it less and less............