• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

Truth_Faith13

They aren't opposed... you just don't get into the highest level of heaven.
You can get in level two and hang out with Jesus... but not the big cheese himself.

wa:do

But you dont get to be with your families in the second and third kingdoms. Only in the celestial kingdom do you get to be with your family (if they are worthy) or see them (if they are not).

Truth_Faith13

doppelgänger;1357163 said:
So why do they oppose gay marriages then?

because Gods plan is to have a marriage between a man and a woman and they can procreate and create lots of children so that his other spirit children can come to the earth.

The reason they dont oppose non-mormon marriages is because there is always the hope that they will convert and get sealed in the temple.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
This is main problem with superstition. Whatever pearls of great price are to be located with the help of the great myths and stories and teachings of spiritual visionaries is quickly papered over by the idea that one "believes" in a set of metaphysical postulates rather than really looking inside themselves to find what love really is, for example. And consequently, they don't notice when they cause harm to others out of egotistical fear and attachment when they project their imaged worlds as though they themselves were "God" to everyone else. Superstition is, at its core, blasphemous and idolatrous.

idea

Question Everything
doppelgänger;1357163 said:
So why do they oppose gay marriages then?

Just speculation but - "That which is wrong under one circumstance, may be, and often is, right under another." - Joseph smith.

I guess I won't comment any more on this sub except to say Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son.... we are all called to sacrifice here, that we may appreciate things more deeply later on.

doppelganger

because Gods plan is to have a marriage between a man and a woman and they can procreate and create lots of children so that his other spirit children can come to the earth.
Not always. The universe contains some people who fall in love and have beautiful marriages where there are no or can be no children. Fact.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Gays are sinning.... can't have all that sin running around.
(but then not all Mormons are against Gay rights and some fought against Prop 8.)

Truth_Faith13

men can't get in without a woman.

till death do you part - that is sad isn't it?

You know I was talking to a Christian the other day and she said when the spouse dies you are parted....(my nan has been on her own for 16years, she is parted from her husband through death)....until the afterlife.....

I never looked at it that way before, so that sentence isnt as doom and gloom as you think!

doppelganger

I guess I won't comment any more on this sub except to say Abraham was asked to sacrifice his son.... we are all called to sacrifice here, that we may appreciate things more deeply later on.
Would you be willing to sacrifice that very belief if being loving and selfless required it of you?

Truth_Faith13

doppelgänger;1357174 said:
Not always. The universe contains some people who fall in love and have beautiful marriages where there are no or can be no children. Fact.

Yes I know, that is true...I was telling you the mormon view of "Gods plan"

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
But you dont get to be with your families in the second and third kingdoms. Only in the celestial kingdom do you get to be with your family (if they are worthy) or see them (if they are not).
Thats right... because the only 'true' family is a Temple approved family.

A

angellous_evangellous

The reason they dont oppose non-mormon marriages is because there is always the hope that they will convert and get sealed in the temple.

This is why I've thought thus:

If orthodox Christianity is a mystery cult, LDS Christianity is a fertility cult.

Truth_Faith13

doppelgänger;1357184 said:
How screwed up is that? That's a downright filthy and maliciousway to control peoples' thoughts.

I know, I was rather shocked when at a friends FHE, the missionaries explained this to me. Its one of the reasons I left. They talk about forever families and how important they are, but actually if you dont follow all the rules, go to the temple, you dont get to be with your family. The missionaries reply was "hey if you get to the celestial kingdom you can do and go where you like...ie you can visit family members in lower kingdoms but they cant see you or hear you!" If thats the case, I dont want to go there........

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1357193 said:
Personally, I think it tends to be a particularly creepy one. I'll take the pagan fertility cults any day as they have a much healthier understanding of sex and love.
:bath:

HAHA. There's an old joke:

(Bob worships Bacchus)

An overly curious and excited Bill says to wife, "Honey, I'm going to church with Bob tonight! See you in a couple of days..."

(But Bill ends up castrating himself in an ecstatic frenzy at the 'orgy'....)

A

angellous_evangellous

doppelgänger;1357200 said:
Depending on the two days . . . maybe it was worth it. :eek: Nahhhh . . .

Yeah, the wife says "Got more that you bargained for, didn't ya, sucker!"

Note: The key to the success of a fertility cult is not to get wrapped up in it too much. The fertility god should be just one little god among many. Just make the sacrifice and go on.