• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I know my thoughts on this are entirely worthless to you guys, but I image if there was a heaven, that people would be able to choose to continue old relationships or forge new ones. I would imagine choice, change and freedom exist there as well. It is heaven after all, right?

lunamoth

Will to love
Hi All,

Just a couple of points. First, "Mainstream Christians" is a confusing grouping the way it's being used here. I would not be surprised if some Evangelicals would say things like 'there is no marriage in heaven,' making literal emphasis on Jesus' response to the Sadducees. But, if you look at what that story is saying, Jesus is saying "You don't get it. You are not even asking the right questions. God is God of the living. Wake up!" Seems that the Mormons would agree with this.

Catholics, Orthodox and Anglicans, (all mainstream) would not be making an issue over this. If some individuals take it that way, that is their own interpretation.

Second, whatever marriage is in heaven (eternal life), it is more than marriage here on earth, not less.

2c

Last edited:

Sententia

I am looking for scripture references and explanations to the following in the book of Mormon

Immediately when I think of the BoM I think of fabrication. Recently in random unrelated research... (Reading digg) I came across a story of 18th century Dr. Johann Beringer. If Joe didn't just out right make it up off the top of his head then it is also possible that something like what happened to poor johann happened.

Ahh well. I hope you are able to explore the BoM for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Immediately when I think of the BoM I think of fabrication. Recently in random unrelated research... (Reading digg) I came across a story of 18th century Dr. Johann Beringer. If Joe didn't just out right make it up off the top of his head then it is also possible that something like what happened to poor johann happened.

Ahh well. I hope you are able to explore the BoM for yourself and come to your own conclusions.

So, some friends/colleagues were trying to fool Joseph Smith?

madhatter85

Transhumanist

we do, very often, and many people do, just you come to a false conclusion because you do not follow the council in the Book of Mormon to ask in faith if these things are true.

Sententia

So, some friends/colleagues were trying to fool Joseph Smith?

Just a possibility. I was debating Deepshadow once and it was implied that Joe was simply not smart enough on his own to come up with this therefore it must be divinely inspired. As a huge fan of Sagan and Dawkins I think assigning something to god when you don't know is essentially giving up. (We can't prove or disprove god)

Joe seemed very smart and crafty to me and it seemed the implied argument was joe was too honest but that didn't seem to hold much water. Next what if I accept Joe is just too dumb to do this... Perhaps he had a partner who is buried a ditch somewhere... (Joe did like to dig holes) Nah... Hmmm Perhaps it was a secret cult that was silent and used Joe as the front... nah... Didn't seem likely... but something similar to what happened to Beringer is completely possible. I have no evidence of course...

I just ponder theories. The accepted gold plates theory has no compelling evidence either so its like a non-fiction mystery hehe.

My comment to the OP is meant to imply blindly ascribing your faith to whatever website he is cutting and pasting from and asking mormons to confirm and point out which chapters support these conclusions which are meant insult and degrade is not a good plan. Perhaps reading the book and asking for yourself in faith will give you the answer.

Sententia

we do, very often, and many people do, just you come to a false conclusion because you do not follow the council in the Book of Mormon to ask in faith if these things are true.

I did ask. God said he doesn't exist. Seems to counteract common reason and logic but god is just that powerful. (I have decided to respond to you in the same nonsensical and ridiculous fashion you respond to me and others.)

Watchmen

Premium Member
Just a possibility. I was debating Deepshadow once and it was implied that Joe was simply not smart enough on his own to come up with this therefore it must be divinely inspired. As a huge fan of Sagan and Dawkins I think assigning something to god when you don't know is essentially giving up. (We can't prove or disprove god)

Joe seemed very smart and crafty to me and it seemed the implied argument was joe was too honest but that didn't seem to hold much water. Next what if I accept Joe is just too dumb to do this... Perhaps he had a partner who is buried a ditch somewhere... (Joe did like to dig holes) Nah... Hmmm Perhaps it was a secret cult that was silent and used Joe as the front... nah... Didn't seem likely... but something similar to what happened to Beringer is completely possible. I have no evidence of course...

I just ponder theories. The accepted gold plates theory has no compelling evidence either so its like a non-fiction mystery hehe.

My comment to the OP is meant to imply blindly ascribing your faith to whatever website he is cutting and pasting from and asking mormons to confirm and point out which chapters support these conclusions which are meant insult and degrade is not a good plan. Perhaps reading the book and asking for yourself in faith will give you the answer.

I actually find that interesting. Thanks for sharing.

DeepShadow

White Crow
I know my thoughts on this are entirely worthless to you guys, but I image if there was a heaven, that people would be able to choose to continue old relationships or forge new ones. I would imagine choice, change and freedom exist there as well. It is heaven after all, right?

Very good point! I don't think your thoughts are worthless at all.

Sententia

So sealing is not for eternity? Divorce is sanctioned? Me confused.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So sealing is not for eternity? Divorce is sanctioned? Me confused.
A sealing is for eternity provided both partners want to continue the relationship and have remained faithful to their covenants. Divorce is permitted but discouraged.