• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Book of Mormon

Truth_Faith13

BTW, I (and most other Christians I've spoken to about this) absolutely trust that they will have the same loving relationships in the next life as they have here on earth. If anything, barriers (sin) will be removed...not more barriers put up.

Thats what I wanted to hear! Thanks Lunamoth!

Watchmen

Premium Member
Dream Angel, my suggestion is that we have a one-on-one to try and clarify this. I think you'll agree that having more "voices" in the thread just adds to the confusion.

Please let me know if you're interested and, if not, I completely understand.

Thanks.

Truth_Faith13

Dream Angel, my suggestion is that we have a one-on-one to try and clarify this. I think you'll agree that having more "voices" in the thread just adds to the confusion.

Please let me know if you're interested and, if not, I completely understand.

Thanks.

I am up for that - you'll have to tell me where that thread is though as I don't actually know. Although I wont be able to complete it all today as its already 9:30pm at night for me!

lunamoth

Will to love
Also, our marriage vows are 'for as long as you both shall live.' If you agree that the afterlife is life, this suggests something different than 'until death do you part.'

Watchmen

Premium Member

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's funny how people use this to blanket all religions when in fact it is far from that here in the church.

2nd Timothy 1:

sorry, But no, i am not "afraid" of God.

Threatening to burn people in hell, separate families, etc. for not doing X or believing in Y is a scare tactic. Follow and obey us without doubt or question, or you just might not get your postmortem cookie reward. Can you take that risk?

Last edited:

Watchmen

Premium Member
Threatening to burn people in hell, separate families, etc. for not Doing X or believing in Y is a scale tactic. Follow and obey us without doubt or question, or you just might not get your postmortem cookie reward. Can you take that risk?

That doesn't apply to the LDS Church. I can't speak for others.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Someone doesn't read properly - look at the post again, I answered that already!
Someone isn't explaining themselves clearly...
Yes or No, do you believe mainstream-Christianity, in general, believes in marriage in Heaven?

DeepShadow

White Crow
Someone isn't explaining themselves clearly...
Yes or No, do you believe mainstream-Christianity, in general, believes in marriage in Heaven?

She already said there was no general consensus either way. Doesn't that answer it?

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
She already said there was no general consensus either way. Doesn't that answer it?
I couldn't tell if she was talking about Marriage specifically or their views on Heaven and Hell in general. While most mainstream denominations vary with general views of Heaven and Hell, I have yet to hear of a mainstream-Christian church that believes in Marriage in Heaven. Heck, its one of the main topics we get criticized for from mainstream-Christians.

Truth_Faith13

I couldn't tell if she was talking about Marriage specifically or their views on Heaven and Hell in general. While most mainstream denominations vary with general views of Heaven and Hell, I have yet to hear of a mainstream-Christian church that believes in Marriage in Heaven. Heck, its one of the main topics we get criticized for from mainstream-Christians.

Ok you asked about Marriage in HEAVEN....I said not much is known about Heaven and Hell as Lunamoth stated there is no specific doctrine (which by the way would include marriage in Heaven).

You are asking for the answer of a question behind door A and I have already told you that that door cannot be opened!

I will say it once more...THERE IS NO DOCTRINE ON IT!!! only peoples own interpretations.

I really cant say it any clearer than that

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Ok you asked about Marriage in HEAVEN....I said not much is known about Heaven and Hell as Lunamoth stated there is no specific doctrine (which by the way would include marriage in Heaven).

You are asking for the answer of a question behind door A and I have already told you that that door cannot be opened!

I will say it once more...THERE IS NO DOCTRINE ON IT!!! only peoples own interpretations.

I really cant say it any clearer than that
Calm down. I understand what you meant now. However, I disagree. Due to Matt. 22 Marriage in Heaven is something the majority of mainstream-Christians do not disagree on. This is also a major topic mainstream-Christianity uses to criticize the LDS Church over.
Although, if you find a major mainstream-Christian denomination that does believe their Earthly marriages will remain intact, please tell me as this is something I would be interested in archiving.

Truth_Faith13

Calm down. I understand what you meant now. However, I disagree. Due to Matt. 22 Marriage in Heaven is something the majority of mainstream-Christians do not disagree on. This is also a major topic mainstream-Christianity uses to criticize the LDS Church over.
Although, if you find a major mainstream-Christian denomination that does believe their Earthly marriages will remain intact, please tell me as this is something I would be interested in archiving.

I am calm, trust me you dont want to see me not calm!

Did you not read any of the posts by Lunamoth? I have spoken to plenty of mainstream Christians who have said what I and Lunamoth was saying. I am actually finding this rather hypocritical of you, you jump down my throat when I say several LDS members say you can only be with loved ones if you go to the celestial kingdom saying "will you accept you have been told wrong?"....Yet when I and lunamoth (so I am not on my own) say otherwise in this instance, you fail to accept it and say "that is not what they believe" - when I have just told you what they believe (or some anyway, because as stated there is no doctrine so people have their own interpretations). Please dont do an Rabanes, and claim to know more than the actual person who holds the belief in question.

Please dont also assume that just because mormonism has a specific doctrine on it, others do also. Because they dont! One Christian gave me an excellent reply and said you cant determine every aspect of Heaven and Hell on the basis of one sentence. And mainstream christiantiy critises mormonism on just about every front, so it doesnt surprise me!

Truth_Faith13

Just to add something else as well....I have been looking into the Church of England (and just out of interest others) and nowhere can I find a list of beliefs like there is on mormon.org etc. Mormonism has set beliefs on most thing which is why I find it hard when I hear opposing ideas on something which is an important DOCTRINE for example family in the afterlife as we are discussin here etc...

The only thing I found which remotely shows the beliefs is the following:-

The Church of England is a broad church, representing a wide spectrum of theological thought and practice. However, as part of the Anglican Communion there are some distinctively Anglican ideas which can be identified in the Church of England. They are:

• a belief that the Bible contains the core of all Christian faith and thought
  • a loyalty to a way of worship and life that was first set out in the Book of Common Prayer
  • celebration of the sacraments ordained by Jesus - that of Baptism and Eucharist or Holy Communion
  • a system of Church order that stems from ancient times and is focused in the ordained ministry of Bishop, Priest and Deacon
  • a firm commitment to the ministry of the whole people of God, lay and ordained together
  • a way of Christian thinking that involves Scripture, Tradition and Reason held together in creative tension.

Please pay particular attention to that in bold.

Here is another link:-
What it means to be an Anglican | Church of England again quite broad really. The Nicene creed is also the basic beliefs and again I see nothing about Heaven and Hell and marriage in the afterlife etc.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I am calm, trust me you dont want to see me not calm!

Did you not read any of the posts by Lunamoth? I have spoken to plenty of mainstream Christians who have said what I and Lunamoth was saying. I am actually finding this rather hypocritical of you, you jump down my throat when I say several LDS members say you can only be with loved ones if you go to the celestial kingdom saying "will you accept you have been told wrong?"....Yet when I and lunamoth (so I am not on my own) say otherwise in this instance, you fail to accept it and say "that is not what they believe" - when I have just told you what they believe (or some anyway, because as stated there is no doctrine so people have their own interpretations). Please dont do an Rabanes, and claim to know more than the actual person who holds the belief in question.

Please dont also assume that just because mormonism has a specific doctrine on it, others do also. Because they dont! One Christian gave me an excellent reply and said you cant determine every aspect of Heaven and Hell on the basis of one sentence. And mainstream christiantiy critises mormonism on just about every front, so it doesnt surprise me!
:( Either we are talking past each other or are talking about completley different subjects.