• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boyd Packer: Mormons cannot change

Duck

President Boyd Packer stated at the LDS General Conference yesterday that the LDS church will continue to oppose equality under the law for LGBT Americans. In his talk, Packer also equated homosexuality with addiction.

LDS Apostle declares church will 'stay on course' in opposing gay marriage - KSTU

Of course they will "stay on course", until they realize that the recent PR campaign isn't working, and that Prop H8 (and other initiatives) are being held against them. I am sure that some leadership proclaimed similar things regarding race relations in the 60's as well.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I'll make a bold prediction. Soon after it becomes clear that opposition to same-sex marriage is no longer in the CoJCLDS best interest, the Apostle will get a divine revelation that the church need no longer oppose it. For all we know, they may perform these marriages in the Temple one day.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
I'll make a bold prediction. Soon after it becomes clear that opposition to same-sex marriage is no longer in the CoJCLDS best interest, the Apostle will get a divine revelation that the church need no longer oppose it. For all we know, they may perform these marriages in the Temple one day.

There are large groups in SLC who meet together about this, and they are waiting for the day.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
There are large groups in SLC who meet together about this, and they are waiting for the day.

If history is a guide, they need to do more than wait, they need to put pressure on the national leadership to pray earnestly for the divine revelation they're seeking. When the pressure mounts enough, lo, it will come.

Like, I don't know, if they arranged that none of their tithe went to the national church until they cut this stuff out, that might speed up the suitable revelation.

Unfortunately, gay men don't necessarily excel at basketball, but perhaps they could refuse to participate in other events that BYU might wish to, such as, I don't know, top of my head here, cheer-leading, gymnastics, and of course, all women's sports? Wait, that's brilliant. If all the lesbians refused to play against any BYU women's team, that might have a real effect.

If history is a guide, they need to do more than wait, they need to put pressure on the national leadership to pray earnestly for the divine revelation they're seeking. When the pressure mounts enough, lo, it will come.

Like, I don't know, if they arranged that none of their tithe went to the national church until they cut this stuff out, that might speed up the suitable revelation.

Unfortunately, gay men don't necessarily excel at basketball, but perhaps they could refuse to participate in other events that BYU might wish to, such as, I don't know, top of my head here, cheer-leading, gymnastics, and of course, all women's sports? Wait, that's brilliant. If all the lesbians refused to play against any BYU women's team, that might have a real effect.

I think it would have to be more drastic than that. Someone would have to change the bible.
I would be REALLY surprised if they change their view on this. And I really don't think that stopping the sports playing would do it. They seem to be pretty firm in their convictions and actually will be more resolute if they are opposed in this manner.

tomato1236

Ninja Master

I'm confident the majority of the attendees to those meetings have long since ceased paying tithes.

I think they do actively promote their hope for a revelatory change to church leadership, but I'm pretty sure there's no boycott on sports just yet. That would be interesting to see happen.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I think it would have to be more drastic than that. Someone would have to change the bible.
I would be REALLY surprised if they change their view on this. And I really don't think that stopping the sports playing would do it. They seem to be pretty firm in their convictions and actually will be more resolute if they are opposed in this manner.

Oh, the Mormons can change their doctrine on a dime when the situation requires it, as history has amply demonstrated. They gave up a fundamental tenet of their faith, which appears directly in their scriptures, in order to become a state.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
O.K. I've got it. I just used my google-fu to learn that women's basketball is quite popular in Provo. I think the many lesbians who play college basketball should boycott them until the church cuts this stuff out. Where should I go with this flash of brilliance?

U of U is their major rival. Guess that would be a good place to start.

(grabbing popcorn to watch the show you are about to cause):D

Duck

O.K. I've got it. I just used my google-fu to learn that women's basketball is quite popular in Provo. I think the many lesbians who play college basketball should boycott them until the church cuts this stuff out. Where should I go with this flash of brilliance?

Well, you could email the WNBA, and while you are at it, could you mention that the next time the WNBA championship team has the President on the line, they should mention that he should be a little bit more proactive in promoting equality and keeping his frakking promises instead of talking to them.

Smoke

Done here.
Oh, the Mormons can change their doctrine on a dime when the situation requires it, as history has amply demonstrated.

Don't be silly. Remember what Eldon Tanner said:
The church has no intention of changing its doctrine on the Negro. Throughout the history of the original Christian church, the Negro never held the priesthood. There's really nothing we can do to change this. It's a law of God.​

tomato1236

Ninja Master
When I heard this talk I was disappointed that there is still no accounting for, or acknowledging of even the claim that MOST gay people make that they didn't choose to be gay. I mean, I think it's one thing to stick to your guns and stand up for what you believe, and another to repeat it over and over with no apparent attempt to see gay people's point of view. I don't expect the church to change, but after being very close to the issue, I would be interested in, even if not based in science, explanation of where the desires come from, and an acknowledgment that in probably most cases, people are less than happy to discover that they're attracted to the same sex, and have to rip their heart out and turn the world upside down to come to terms with it.

linwood

Every bit as firm as they were with their claim that American aboriginals were descendants of the Hebrews and just as firm as they were when they defended polygamy..oh wait....nevermind.

Any part of LDS theology that becomes a genuine political liability will be "amended" or abolished as soon as the prophet receives that vision.
which is usually well before it can seriously harm them..politically.

Skwim

Veteran Member

What if all the lesbians on BYU teams refused to play. Of course that would amount to outing oneself, and I don't think many Mormon woman have that kind of moxy.

Smoke

Done here.
What if all the lesbians on BYU teams refused to play. Of course that would amount to outing oneself, and I don't think many Mormon woman have that kind of moxy.

It would amount to more than outing themselves; it would get them expelled.