• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boyd Packer: Mormons cannot change

Smoke

Done here.
That's strange. What makes him a prophet instead of the leader who makes pronouncements?

Mormon Scripture. Doctrine and Covenants 107.91-92:

And again, the duty of the President of the office of the High Priesthood is to preside over the whole church, and to be like unto Moses—
Behold, here is wisdom; yea, to be a seer, a revelator, a translator, and a prophet, having all the gifts of God which he bestows upon the head of the church.​

linwood

The truth is not uplifting. The truth destroys. And historians should tell only that part of the truth that is uplifting,

WTF is up with that?

These people claim moral superiority?

Sweet Jesus!

WTF is up with that?

These people claim moral superiority?

Sweet Jesus!

Honestly, I can't imagine them saying something like this. This guy is recalling a conversation that happened over 15 years ago. I am sure that his memory isn't recalling things correctly.

GabrielWithoutWings

Mormon Scripture. Doctrine and Covenants 107.91-92:
And again, the duty of the President of the office of the High Priesthood is to preside over the whole church, and to be like unto Moses—
Behold, here is wisdom; yea, to be a seer, a revelator, a translator, and a prophet, having all the gifts of God which he bestows upon the head of the church.​

Yet, he can still make mistakes? Or do they classify it as 'divine pronouncements no longer needed'?

Smoke

Done here.
Yet, he can still make mistakes? Or do they classify it as 'divine pronouncements no longer needed'?

According to Katzpur, the President/Prophet is fallible, and I take Katzpur to be the voice of intelligent and reasonable Mormons. :)

It's also consistent with Bruce McConkie's statement that God, acting through the authorities of the Church, can change situations so that previous prophetic teachings are no longer valid.

According to Katzpur, the President/Prophet is fallible, and I take Katzpur to be the voice of intelligent and reasonable Mormons. :)

It's also consistent with Bruce McConkie's statement that God, acting through the authorities of the Church, can change situations so that previous prophetic teachings are no longer valid.

:yes: You are correct, Smoke.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Not me, I'm extremely happy. Were I bisexual, I would choose to live as a lesbian. It has so many advantages for a woman.

The point is not whether it's chosen or not, the point is whether it's wrong or not. It's not. The speaker is wrong. He is condemning people who are not immoral. In that regard, he is immoral himself.

Meh. This is debatable, but inconclusive, as are most moral issues. I think that before any finality can be found in the issue, at least for Mormons, it will be important to know that gay people don't choose it. It will then be important to know, then, why people come that way if it's evil. Once we know that it will be important to know, then, where we go from there.

tomato1236

Ninja Master
Meh. This is debatable, but inconclusive, as are most moral issues. I think that before any finality can be found in the issue, at least for Mormons, it will be important to know that gay people don't choose it. It will then be important to know, then, why people come that way if it's evil. Once we know that it will be important to know, then, where we go from there.

I think these are some of the first questions gay mormon youth begin asking when they discover their same-gender attractions. The fact that there is no good answer is what leads to much of their anxiety and feelings of ostracism from their church and family. If we had good answers, and better guidance, then families might respond better, gay kids would be able to find a place in their mormon world, and though still difficult due to societal norms, etc., things might begin to improve.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Oh, the Mormons can change their doctrine on a dime when the situation requires it, as history has amply demonstrated. They gave up a fundamental tenet of their faith, which appears directly in their scriptures, in order to become a state.

The LDS Church did not give up a fundamental tenet of its faith. The tenet remains, but not the practice of it.

Watchmen

Premium Member
I think that Tomato brings up an interesting point. According to the talk Boyd K. Packer says that God wouldn't cause someone to be homosexual. It would be very interesting to find out from his God "how" people "ended up" being homosexual.

Please no one take offense to this. I am just honestly curious how this would be explained in the afterlife. It doesn't make sense that such a thing would be an sin in God's eyes when people were created that way (if that is your belief).

The official LDS position is that the Church doesn't not know the causes of homosexuality (whether it be nature or nurture).

The LDS church just released a statement about their stance on bullying gays.

ksl.com - LDS Church condemns bullying of gay community

I was actually surprised to read:
"Further, while the Church is strongly on the record as opposing same-sex marriage, it has openly supported other rights for gays and lesbians such as protections in housing or employment. "

Does that lessen any of the anger towards the church as a whole?

tomato1236

Ninja Master
The LDS church just released a statement about their stance on bullying gays.

ksl.com - LDS Church condemns bullying of gay community

"Further, while the Church is strongly on the record as opposing same-sex marriage, it has openly supported other rights for gays and lesbians such as protections in housing or employment. "

Weird. Does this mean I don't hate gays afterall? :cow:

sniper762

auto says:

I'll make a bold prediction. Soon after it becomes clear that opposition to same-sex marriage is no longer in the CoJCLDS best interest, the Apostle will get a divine revelation that the church need no longer oppose it. For all we know, they may perform these marriages in the Temple one day.

Smoke

Done here.

Not in the least. When the Mormon leadership realizes that we're entitled to the same rights as everybody else, and not just the few they're willing to concede, and when they publicly apologize and work to support full equality in an effort to repair the harm they've done, maybe.

As of now, they're just hateful old scumbags trying to pass as decent people.