• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Brrrrrrrrr!!! Americans - how cold is it where you are?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Thats the trouble with groundhogs. If they see their shadow, there is six more weeks of Winter. If not, we have another month and a half.
As far as I'm concerned, winter lasts as long as there is a reasonable chance of snow. Here in Salt Lake (which is the third snowiest city in the nation), the average date of the last snowfall of the season in April 18. So I'm planning on another eleven weeks of winter, and I will be hating every day of it. I love spring, summer and fall, but I hate winter!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
To kvetch is to live; to live is to kvetch.

IT'S SNOWING AGAIN IN TEXAS! One inch - on top of a layer of ice. I'm about to try to brave the elements and actually go into work.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
To kvetch is to live; to live is to kvetch.

IT'S SNOWING AGAIN IN TEXAS! One inch - on top of a layer of ice. I'm about to try to brave the elements and actually go into work.
Houston is shut down. the company asked us to stay home today.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Reminds me of when I lived in Arkansas.
One inch of snow and the whole county shuts down.

Growing up in Oregon, I can remember having to dig the car out from under the snow so I could get to school. I think we had four snow-days in four years.

Kathryn

The thing is - southern cities are not equipped to handle snow and ice in any large or sustained amounts. We don't have snow plows and snow clean up equipment. Hell, we don't even have warm gloves!

We do, however, have cute gloves. And we can always use socks for gloves.

Acim

Revelation all the time
It does seem weird to me that as evolved as we are, and as much as we pretty much know weather in advance for a region, that we haven't found ways to share these 'resources' with each other. Like, really wet here, and 500 miles away is drought, but we (humans) have no way of connecting the two. I gotta think that 200 years from now (maybe less), they'll have this addressed and look back at us as, seriously how could you not see the solution? Wow, they were really primitive back then.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It would be very expensive to collect & move rainfall which is heavy at times, & light at others.

Kathryn

Well, that's the problem...all this MI rain isn't finding its way to TX as fast as they'd like.
TX should cope with the climate they have.

Texas is coping quite well, thank you very kindly. We're used to very hot summers with weeks on end of 100 plus temps - and we get hit with droughts every decade.

If Texas was a country (hey....Hmmmmmm...) it would rank as the 13th largest economy in the world.
http://www.texaswideopenforbusiness.com/assets/documents/Texas-Economic-Overview.pdf

We have more jobs now than we did three years ago. So - we don't mind hard work in the heat - we can handle it better than most.

Yee haw!