• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

burning the flag (yanks only)

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
hmm... traditionally the honorable way to dispose of a flag is to burn it.

IMHO the burning of a flag in protest is a reflection of this.

The flag is a symbol and as such should be treated as one... it isn't a sacred thing, its the representation of an idea.

wa:do

gnomon

Darkdale said:
In my experience, that kind of violence not only doesn't create more violence, but it also helps teach people to think before they act. I've had many a fist fight that ended up produce happy results for all parties concerned. There should be consequences for people taunting you or dishonoring your country, your family or your character. But, I know, fist fighting is like soooo 1992. Hopefully it will come back into fashion. :)
Fortunately the concept of freedom in the United States does not support your opinion.

gnomon

Darkdale said:
Quite true. I wasn't pretending to have the majority opinion. :)
I can fully appreciate your idea. Many times have I watched the news wishing someone should just be slapped for going on in an idiotic manner (e.g. parents fighting over their kids sports, protestors destroying personal property, etc.).

Fluffy

A fool
Flag burning is just as bad as having one waving outside of your house in my opinion. I do not think either of them should be made illegal, however, because I respect the right to freedom of speech even for the hateful and patriotic.

Having said that, flag burning is more often done for causes that I find agreeable than flag flying. For example I am more sympathetic towards using a flag as a symbol for government in general as opposed to a specific country and you generally only get this sense in the former and not the latter.

Radar

Darkdale said:
Well, call me violent, but if someone called you that, I would be offended if you didn't kick their butt... if you didn't, I would... or would if I thought I could get away with it. Fist fights should be legal, in my opinion.
I think it should be legal for people to settle their differences in a ring. I think if 2 poeple have a misunderstanding or is offended by the other there should be a ring at the court house where those two individuals could settle it. I also think people should be able to challenge one another to a duel. I guess I'm just violent.

Radar

Fluffy said:
Flag burning is just as bad as having one waving outside of your house in my opinion. I do not think either of them should be made illegal, however, because I respect the right to freedom of speech even for the hateful and patriotic.

Having said that, flag burning is more often done for causes that I find agreeable than flag flying. For example I am more sympathetic towards using a flag as a symbol for government in general as opposed to a specific country and you generally only get this sense in the former and not the latter.
I believe that everyone has the right to burn the flag in protest. But I think you don't understand the flying of a flag in front of ones home. The flag does not represent the government. It represents the people. The people give the rights to the government and the laws to protect themselves from violence and the government. The government gives no laws just enforces the peoples laws and rights. So I would feel that a persons cause for flying the flag in front of their home could be more noble than the one burning it. Don't think that a person flying the flag is flying for the government because they maybe flying it support of the rights of the people. Government for the people by the people. We are a nation of people not a nation of the government. We have the power to change the government and the government only has that power which we the people give it. So I see the flag as a representation of the people not the government. And yeah, it's ok for someone to burn in protest.

Darkdale said:
I think burning the flag should be legal, of course, I also think citizens beating the living crap out of someone who burns the flag should be legal too, or at least decriminalized. :)
haha. i agree 100%. maybe congress can just enact a bill fining people for acting like jerks.

not getting up for senior citizens on a bus/train $50
creating gridlock by blocking an intersection in traffic $100
driving slow in the left lane $25
burning a flag $1000 fine

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Darkdale said:
I think burning the flag should be legal, of course, I also think citizens beating the living crap out of someone who burns the flag should be legal too, or at least decriminalized. :)
See, this is why Darkdale should be running things. Couldn't have said it better myself.

B.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

Radar said:
I think it should be legal for people to settle their differences in a ring. I think if 2 poeple have a misunderstanding or is offended by the other there should be a ring at the court house where those two individuals could settle it. I also think people should be able to challenge one another to a duel. I guess I'm just violent.
Again, I totally agree. I guarantee you, society was far more polite back in the days when to insult a man meant you might have to cross swords with him at dawn the next day.

Go to a gun show some time. Absolute nicest, most polite crowd you will ever see. Big burly men in flannel shirts saying pardon me, excuse me, please and thank you to everyone they accidentally bump into or cut off.

Bring back dueling, settle differences like men.

B.

Aqualung

Tasty
Darkdale said:
I think burning the flag should be legal, of course, I also think citizens beating the living crap out of someone who burns the flag should be legal too, or at least decriminalized.
I disagree with you here, darkdale. Burning a flag should be legal, but you shouldn't be allowed to beat someone up for it. That makes it legal only in name. Like when it was "legal" for black people to vote, but they got the "living crap" beat out of them if they did.

Fluffy

A fool
I believe that everyone has the right to burn the flag in protest. But I think you don't understand the flying of a flag in front of ones home. The flag does not represent the government. It represents the people.
It does not matter whether it represents the government or the people. It is demonstrating pride in an irrational and immoral concept ie a nation.

The people give the rights to the government and the laws to protect themselves from violence and the government. The government gives no laws just enforces the peoples laws and rights. So I would feel that a persons cause for flying the flag in front of their home could be more noble than the one burning it. Don't think that a person flying the flag is flying for the government because they maybe flying it support of the rights of the people. Government for the people by the people. We are a nation of people not a nation of the government. We have the power to change the government and the government only has that power which we the people give it. So I see the flag as a representation of the people not the government. And yeah, it's ok for someone to burn in protest.
I have nothing against the Republican government in power in America at the moment. Therefore do not mistake my dislike of flag waving as my dislike of supporters of said government. If I were in power in America I would share the same distaste towards flag waving as I do now.

The Black Whirlwind

Darkdale said:
that is a very good idea. i hope it gets put into law.

motoman

I know one thing? If you pass a law that makes burning flags illegal people will just do it to **** the police off :(

Scott1

My two cents as a twice wounded combat veteran of the US Army:

I fought for the men and women (past, present, and future) of this country, not the symbol (flag) of this country.... I hope the right to protest in a non-violent fashion (such as flag burning) is never outlawed.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Thanks for a great post, Scott!! I'd frubal you, but I have to spread them around before fruballing you again (You're on a roll today!)

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Consider him fruballed!

Editted to say: Curses! I must spread the karma around, too! Scott, you devious person, posting so many frubal-worthy posts! :149:

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Scott1 said:
My two cents as a twice wounded combat veteran of the US Army:

I fought for the men and women (past, present, and future) of this country, not the symbol (flag) of this country.... I hope the right to protest in a non-violent fashion (such as flag burning) is never outlawed.
Frubals for your wonderful post!

jonathan180iq

As a symbol, flags of any nation stand as a symbol for all of the good that a nation does - but it also symbolized all of the bad...
Burning a flag in protest, just like burning anything in effigy, for example is not wrong. It's merely an expression of removing that which is being protested. It's simply a metaphor - and a metaphor can't be treason. Being tacky isn't treason.

Shortly after the revolution, towns all across the Nation burned the body of Thomas Paine in effigy in response to his book "The Age of Reason"... I would consider that be barbaric. But should those people have been tried for murder or something? Of course not.

For a quick little history lesson:
The Paine Burnings of 1792–1793

Thomas Paine was one of the primary motivators of the public towards revolution and considered by many to be one of our founding fathers. Care to guess where he's buried or what happened to his body? Care to guess how many people showed up to his funeral? (No one knows. And only 1 person.)