• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

But you said you were okay with abortion...

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
What's funny about it?
I want everyone to take responsibility for their actions. ;)
That's hilarious. Because your proposed solution only makes one person responsible for the actions that two people jointly take together, while allowing the other party to get off scot free.

Hey, I just thought of another problem with your cell phone analogy. The female isn't bashing the phones alone. They are doing it together. The female's only fault is that she assured the guy that the phone's wouldn't break. (Which was a stupid promise to make, but hey, the guy still decided to help smash the phones.)

You know what else that reminds me of? The story of the garden of Eden, and you know, the traditional chauvinistic interpretation whereby Eve is reviled as being responsible for bringing sin into the world, despite the fact that no one, let alone Eve, was cramming that apple down Adam's throat. When will it end?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
You don't see how it is relevant whether or not such a law would be enforcable? How does that make sense? "Hey, everyone, I have a great idea! Let's make a law that no one can fairly enforce and let's see how many women we can screw over in the process!"

It would be enforceable. :shrug:

1. I am fully aware that your ridiculous law is currently not a law. The purpose behind me stating that we currently do not have any laws regarding verbal promises is the fact that your ridiculous law would be a first. It would be extraordinary. It would place a never-before-seen burden on making a verbal promise that would effect only women, in one particular circumstance, and would have the effect of either coercing her to get an abortion she no longer wants or make her pay a huge financial penalty. Talk about cruel and unusual!

Talk about justice. :shrug:

2. Haha! The "he said/she said" problem wouldn't exist? This position displays an extreme lack of experience with Judge Judy, or , I don't know, real life.

As i said, unless you can prove it. It won't matter.

3. Okay, so you're going to get a written copy of this promise, or plant a tape recorder in your bedroom? Nice. Good luck with that. Not to mention the time and money that would be wasted on such a ridiculous law. Deciding whether to keep the fetus or not should preferrably be decided on as soon a date as possible. Tying the female up in a lawsuit, where she has no assurance which way the law will fall, is a great way to ensure a higher percentage of later abortions. But hey, we gotta make sure all those mens can have sex without any repurcussions.

Why would it be required to plant a tape recorder in the bedroom? :shrug:

You know, laws aren't created in a vacuum. Usually they are based off of other laws, and at the very least, must not contradict what is already on the books.

Laws are created for several reasons. Justice being one of them.

Do you think that the promiser's mental ability, mental status at the time of making the promise, understanding, level of coercion, or the general unfairness of the agreement should not be taken into consideration as to the legitimacy of an agreement, as it currently is?

Do you think that, if we made your ridiculous law the law of the land, that your law should be exempt from the current practice as stated above?

No. I don't. It is fair, there is no coercion by default, and the mental ability should be on the standard held for consent.

So, in other words, you want to protect the stupidity of men, but you want to punish the stupidity of women? Why should one stupidity trump the other? If we were being fair-- as you claim to desire-- shouldn't both stupidities cancel each other out, and both parties split the results of their stupidity equally? (Oh wait, that's what is legally done right now.)

I don't see what the man did as stupid. :shrug:

Apparently, you've never seen an otter box.

Regardless, if you want to say that it is guaranteed that the outcome is certain, then your analogy is faulty. Because, when it comes to sex and birth control, the outcome is never certain. Therefore, your analogy should reflect that risk.

Which is why i insist that 'breaking the cellphones' is the same as not doing the abortion.

Exactly. That's the part that is split between both parents, since it is the responsibility of both.

The part where she pays for her promise is by carrying the fetus to term and delivering it and by being the primary care giver, penalties which the male partner does not incur, since it was not his choice to keep the fetus.

This is ridiculous. She already undergoes these ''penalties'' as a result of the #1 responsibility.

I am not talking about some karmic retribution, and it is disingenuous of you to equate the two. Breaking her promise to abort directly leads to her having to carry that fetus to term, deliver it, and should she choose to keep it, become its primary care giver. This is the direct penalty for her for breaking her promise.

Indeed this is the direct consequence of her choice.
However, if you are a robber and you jump over a wall while running away from a house and as a result you end up losing your shoes, should your jail time be reduced because you lost your shoes?

Meanwhile, Harry gets off scot free for his responsibility of producing a child. Again, why don't you care about Harry paying his dues? Why are you only concerned about making sure the female pays even more than she already pays for choosing to keep the baby?

Harry paying child support is the direct consequence of his responsibility for choosing to have sex with a women who ultimately chose not to abort. He had no guarantee that a child would not result from his actions, and yet, he chose to do it anyway.

Oh, and virgin births only happen in religion and Star Wars. "She" was not the one who caused the birth of a child. They were.

I don't know what is so hard to understand.
If the woman is able to do it, she is going to pay for breaking her promise ( the responsibility #2 ) by assuming the full responsibility of #1. That is the price i suggest that she should pay.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I don't see what the man did as stupid. :shrug:
Ah, that's your problem right there.

According to you, women must be fully aware, and responsible, for failing to realize that their method of birth control may fail, but men do not have to be fully aware, or responsible, for failing to realize that their method of birth control may fail. If one action is stupid, then so is the other.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
That's hilarious. Because your proposed solution only makes one person responsible for the actions that two people jointly take together, while allowing the other party to get off scot free.

As i said in the post above, the consequence of the responsibility #2 should be to be held fully responsible for the responsibility #1.

Hey, I just thought of another problem with your cell phone analogy. The female isn't bashing the phones alone. They are doing it together. The female's only fault is that she assured the guy that the phone's wouldn't break. (Which was a stupid promise to make, but hey, the guy still decided to help smash the phones.)

As i said in the post above, smashing the cellphones is the same as not having an abortion. Therefore, they aren't doing it together.

You know what else that reminds me of? The story of the garden of Eden, and you know, the traditional chauvinistic interpretation whereby Eve is reviled as being responsible for bringing sin into the world, despite the fact that no one, let alone Eve, was cramming that apple down Adam's throat. When will it end?

I don't think Eve made any promise to Adam regarding that fruit. Did she?

Koldo

Outstanding Member
Ah, that's your problem right there.

According to you, women must be fully aware, and responsible, for failing to realize that their method of birth control may fail, but men do not have to be fully aware, or responsible, for failing to realize that their method of birth control may fail. If one action is stupid, then so is the other.

What are you talking about?
The stupidity on the woman's part is to don't keep her word.
The stupidity you see on the man's part is to trust the woman. I don't see this one as being stupid at all. That's all.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What are you talking about?
The stupidity on the woman's part is to don't keep her word.
The stupidity you see on the man's part is to trust the woman. I don't see this one as being stupid at all. That's all.
But here's the thing: the only time that the change you're arguing for would matter is in the case where the man's trust is misplaced.

If the man's right and the woman will go through with the abortion, then the question of child support isn't even an issue. Child support is only relevant when the man was wrong about what the woman would do. It only matters when the man did a bad job of judging what would happen.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
But here's the thing: the only time that the change you're arguing for would matter is in the case where the man's trust is misplaced.

If the man's right and the woman will go through with the abortion, then the question of child support isn't even an issue. Child support is only relevant when the man was wrong about what the woman would do. It only matters when the man did a bad job of judging what would happen.

And since when being wrong automatically equals to being stupid?

Alceste

Vagabond
It doesn't matter.

It certainly does matter. If we imagine for a moment that Harry's selfish whinging about being tricked into making a baby would not be immediately laughed out of court, the obvious question is, did Ana's ridiculous comment about abortion have anything to do with Harry's decision to have sex with her? Seems to me that if Ana can demonstrate that Harry has had sex before with women who didn't promise him abortions, his claim would be found to be completely baseless.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
And since when being wrong automatically equals to being stupid?

The two aren't automatically equal, but the group that you would hand this generous benefit to would include a much higher proportion of stupid men than you would find in the group of men who would consider a promise of abortion to be unreliable.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It certainly does matter. If we imagine for a moment that Harry's selfish whinging about being tricked into making a baby would not be immediately laughed out of court, the obvious question is, did Ana's ridiculous comment about abortion have anything to do with Harry's decision to have sex with her? Seems to me that if Ana can demonstrate that Harry has had sex before with women who didn't promise him abortions, his claim would be found to be completely baseless.
Right.

The point of civil penalties is to restore the "wronged" party to the same state that they would be in if the breach hadn't happened. In order figure out what this would be, we have to ask ourselves "what would have happened if the woman hadn't given a false promise to abort if needed?"

If the answer is "he would have slept with her anyhow", then the state he would be in if the breach hadn't happened would be that he would be a Dad, and he would be paying half the costs of a kid.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How quickly you all forget that this discussion has NOTHING to do with the real world...

Oh, I haven't forgotten.

I can debate for hours about whether the Starship Enterprise would win against a Star Destroyer. I'm approaching this debate with a similar mindset. I realize that the hypothetical situation we're arguing about is one that happens in a fictional land that mainly resides in Koldo's head. :)

Alceste

Vagabond
Oh, I haven't forgotten.

I can debate for hours about whether the Starship Enterprise would win against a Star Destroyer. I'm approaching this debate with a similar mindset. I realize that the hypothetical situation we're arguing about is one that happens in a fictional land that mainly resides in Koldo's head. :)

Is that the land where men pause for a moment before sliding into home base to say "Hang on a minute - if this condom breaks and you get pregnant, do you promise to have an abortion?" and if the answer is "No", pack up their Johnson and hit the road looking for greener pastures?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
At the risk of sounding too moralizing, "If you don't want to be held to your word, keep your mouth shut". ;)

"Keep it your pants" goes whether she makes a promise or not. It isn't against the law to change your mind, you know, but it is against the law to not take care of any child that you are father to and I don't see that changing.

You can use the excuse "But she promised..." until you're blue in the face- it wouldn't change the fact that you had sex with her and your sperm entered her and fertilized an ovum and a baby resulted in that. And yes, it is an excuse and pretty bad one at that. Harry should have known better-- I mean you didn't say he was stupid- and it was a requirement in my high school to take Biology, where they went over all this kind of stuff.

Me Myself

Back to my username
"Keep it your pants" goes whether she makes a promise or not. It isn't against the law to change your mind, you know, but it is against the law to not take care of any child that you are father to and I don't see that changing.

You can use the excuse "But she promised..." until you're blue in the face- it wouldn't change the fact that you had sex with her and your sperm entered her and fertilized an ovum and a baby resulted in that. And yes, it is an excuse and pretty bad one at that. Harry should have known better-- I mean you didn't say he was stupid- and it was a requirement in my high school to take Biology, where they went over all this kind of stuff.

Moraly though, "dont have sex" should go for the woman too if she will want to kill her baby knowing full well she can end up having one.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos
You KNOW people aren't going to stop having sex just because they don't want any/any more babies/children.

Whether they're married or single.

It's not a practical, or even a reasonable expectation.

Me Myself

Back to my username
You KNOW people aren't going to stop having sex just because they don't want any/any more babies/children.

Whether they're married or single.

It's not a practical, or even a reasonable expectation.

True, then just not killing the babies when they come should be the reasonable way to deal with it.

So stop telling the man to "man up" because they choose to have sex if you are not willing to say to the woman to "woman up" and act like a mom instead of a selfish girl.

Alceste

Vagabond
True, then just not killing the babies when they come should be the reasonable way to deal with it.

So stop telling the man to "man up" because they choose to have sex if you are not willing to say to the woman to "woman up" and act like a mom instead of a selfish girl.

The difference being, we are telling the man to take care of his existing, born child. We would say the same to a woman with an existing, born child. Your personal opinion on the morality of the various forms of birth control we have at our disposal are irrelevant. If there is a child to take care of, we can assume the genetic material from which it developed wasn't spilled on the floor, tangled up in a condom, diaphragm, cervical cap or blob of spermicidal jelly, prevented from implantation with a birth control pill or intentionally or naturally miscarried. Otherwise, there's no "child", so nothing to take care of.

NIX

Daughter of Chaos

I know you don't like it from any angle of any scenario, but the fact is, the woman has a right to terminate her pregnancy. Obviously you will never understand why this is.

I don't say 'man up' or 'woman up'. I say, life is an unpredictable ride, and each individual does what they can, or what they feel they have to. Sometimes society punishes them for it, sometimes not.

Whatever has given anyone the bizarre idea that life should somehow be fair and eqitable amongst people? I don't see ANY fairness in the world around me. Not in society, not in biology. :shrug: