• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I commiserate with your experience although mine was somewhat different. The fact that those calling themselves Christians (or Jews) do not necessarily agree on some basic issues is certainly not encouraging and can be confusing. At least I have found it so. I thank you for offering your experience though.

We obviously do not agree on religion, but at least you are respectful towards me and others who disagree with your personal beliefs. You are not a rude and obnoxious jerk who disparages other Christians who don't adhere to the same version of Christianity as you do, or non-Christians who don't believe in the biblical God like you do. I think it reflects well on your personal character. So I'd like to thank and commend you for that, YoursTrue. I appreciate it.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
We obviously do not agree on religion, but at least you are respectful towards me and others who disagree with your personal beliefs. You are not a rude and obnoxious jerk who disparages other Christians who don't adhere to the same version of Christianity as you do, or non-Christians who don't believe in the biblical God like you do. I think it reflects well on your personal character. So I'd like to thank and commend you for that, YoursTrue. I appreciate it.
Thank you, I appreciate that. I feel bad for people that have been mistreated by those especially who should be loving them. I'm not young anymore as the world goes, and I am still learning, but thank you for your kindness. (P.S. I've learned a lot in many ways, some of which I have unfortunately experienced but maybe I'll go into that another time. We usually trust people that are supposed to be in superior positions, like doctors, etc. Parents. Teachers. But can be seriously harmed by them.)

YoursTrue

P.S. I went to the store the other day. I need a walker because I'm all crippled up with arthritis. So I got a motor cart in the store. The personnel in this particular store were very kind and helpful. And I was very thankful to them for their kindness and helpfulness. The manager said to me to my surprise that it's a pleasure to help people like me who are so nice. :) I'm working on it -- years ago, to let you know, I would get upset and stomp out of a room when being mistreated at work, and some of the workers would say, "And you say you're a Christian"? So, my dear Sgt. Pepper, I'm working on it. Looking forward yet...

jimb

Premium Member
The OP: "By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian..."

This makes as much sense to me as saying "By the way -- if you claim to be a human...". In other words, it's an absurd statement.

I AM a Christian. I don't "claim" to be one.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The OP: "By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian..."

This makes as much sense to me as saying "By the way -- if you claim to be a human...". In other words, it's an absurd statement.

I AM a Christian. I don't "claim" to be one.
Okay. but I have seen many people that claim to be a Christian that do not seem to follow the teachings of Jesus. But I will grant it since according to forum rules questioning the beliefs of others is a no no.

YoursTrue

Okay. but I have seen many people that claim to be a Christian that do not seem to follow the teachings of Jesus. But I will grant it since according to forum rules questioning the beliefs of others is a no no.
It is? Please apprise me...because you do it all the time anyway. But that's not my query, it is, is it against forum rules to question the beliefs of another?

YoursTrue

And I don't think it's against forum rules to say what you think those teachings are...since you say many do not seem to follow his teachings. What do you think are those teachings? I don't think that's against forum "rules," as you state.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is? Please apprise me...because you do it all the time anyway. But that's not my query, it is, is it against forum rules to question the beliefs of another?
To be a bit more specific I am very sure that if I was to say @FattyMcArgus is not a Christian, and he claimed to be one, then I would be in big trouble.

YoursTrue

To be a bit more specific I am very sure that if I was to say @FattyMcArgus is not a Christian, and he claimed to be one, then I would be in big trouble.
I personally wouldn't think you would be in big trouble as you put it, but that's my belief about what you said -- but then I could be wrong, since it is clear to me that the various "beliefs" or sects or divisions among religions are, um...shall we say...rather divisive anyway??? What do you think?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I personally wouldn't think you would be in big trouble as you put it, but that's my belief about what you said -- but then I could be wrong, since it is clear to me that the various "beliefs" or sects or divisions among religions are, um...shall we say...rather divisive anyway??? What do you think?
It is rather clear that there is a huge range in beliefs of people that call themselves Christians. Some believe that Jesus was God, some do not believe that. I think that even the Mormons are considered to be Christians here and I cannot say for sure what their beliefs are.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Okay. but I have seen many people that claim to be a Christian that do not seem to follow the teachings of Jesus.

I agree because I've seen this happen many times as well.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Mahatma Gandhi

I agree with Gandhi, but I also agree with this bold statement by Brendan Manning: "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

YoursTrue

I agree because I've seen this happen many times as well.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Mahatma Gandhi

I agree with Gandhi, but I also agree with this bold statement by Brendan Manning: "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."
I am quite sure that is true. But that does not mean there is no God or Christ or "true" Christians.