• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Thanks. Cheers.
You're welcome. Your question prompted me to do more research on the subject, and of course I looked at the information at wol.jw.org in their library for further information. (I also looked in other places, but I respect greatly the information compiled at wol.jw.org.) So since there's a lot of info about early catalogues, I will be as brief as possible in the hope that it piques your interest and you will continue researching.
It was said evidently centuries later that at the council of Nicaea held in 325 C.E. that some forty gospels were placed there and four Gospels rose miraculously settling on the table and as a result they have since been accepted as the true ones.But in the light of historical evidence such a story can obviusly be dismissed as fantastical to the point of being foolish. However it does prompt the question, How did the twenty-seven books now found in many Greek Scriptures in the Bibles come together as a collection? Why should just these books be accepted as genuine and canonical, and others be rejected? So perhaps we can consider looking into the answers for these reasonable questions...

jimb

Premium Member
You're welcome. Your question prompted me to do more research on the subject, and of course I looked at the information at wol.jw.org in their library for further information. (I also looked in other places, but I respect greatly the information compiled at wol.jw.org.) So since there's a lot of info about early catalogues, I will be as brief as possible in the hope that it piques your interest and you will continue researching.
It was said evidently centuries later that at the council of Nicaea held in 325 C.E. that some forty gospels were placed there and four Gospels rose miraculously settling on the table and as a result they have since been accepted as the true ones.But in the light of historical evidence such a story can obviusly be dismissed as fantastical to the point of being foolish. However it does prompt the question, How did the twenty-seven books now found in many Greek Scriptures in the Bibles come together as a collection? Why should just these books be accepted as genuine and canonical, and others be rejected? So perhaps we can consider looking into the answers for these reasonable questions...
The "books" that were chosen as the canon of Scripture were chosen by a group of men who chose them as true representation of Christian thought. Because there are also deuterocanonical "books" there were (are) clearly differences of opinion.

There is a new evangelical movement that is now including other recently-discovered manuscripts in the New Testament canon. The best that I have found is "A New New Testament: A Bible for the Twenty-first Century Combining Traditional and Newly Discovered Texts", Edited with Commentary by Hal Taussig. It is based on the discoveries of new manuscripts, some of which are in the Coptic language and were used by early churches.

It is available on Amazon in paperback and Kindle formats. I highly recommend it => if you are open to new concepts <= of what Christianity really is.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I believe it is not in the Protestant Bible. The apocrypha is in come Catholic Bibles but then Catholics stand by tradition as well which Protestants don't adhere to.
But it was still in the Bible. The New Testament. And mate, they were taken out by the catholics, not the protestants.

Muffled

Jesus in me
But it was still in the Bible. The New Testament. And mate, they were taken out by the catholics, not the protestants.
I believe I messed up. It was not even in the apocrypha. Middle age work was never taken in so it didn't need to be taken out.

jimb

Premium Member
I believe God thoroughly knows me and God loves me and just like Jesus had followers when he was on the earth also apostles I believe Jesus is not one person out of three persons all equal to the other said to be one God. Jesus is the Son of God who is one person and who gave him great authority.
I am happy that you insert "I believe..." I believe that Jesus is one-third of the Godhead, a.k.a., the Trinity. Three co-equal parts: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, just as you, one person, have a mind, a body, and a spirit.

jimb

Premium Member
Thanks. Cheers.
There are several different canons of Scripture, for example, Protestant, Catholic, Orthodox, and Coptic. There is no one accepted canon of Scripture.

The Epistle of Barnabas, also known as the Letter of Barnabas, is an early writing of Christianity, frequently mentioned by other church fathers.

It was written between AD 70 and 132. The complete text is preserved in the 4th-century Codex Sinaiticus, where it appears at the end of the New Testament, following the Book of Revelation and before the Shepherd of Hermas.

The Codex Sinaiticus, designated by siglum א‎ [Aleph] or 01, δ 2, also called Sinai Bible, is a fourth-century Christian manuscript of a Greek Bible, containing the majority of the Greek Old Testament, including the deuterocanonical books, and the Greek New Testament, with both the Epistle of Barnabas and the Shepherd of Hermas included.

(several sources)

YoursTrue

I am happy that you insert "I believe..." I believe that Jesus is one-third of the Godhead, a.k.a., the Trinity. Three co-equal parts: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, just as you, one person, have a mind, a body, and a spirit.
My body, mind, and spirit are not equal to one another and neither do they form 1/3 each of me. But thanks for your input.

jimb

Premium Member
My body, mind, and spirit are not equal to one another and neither do they form 1/3 each of me. But thanks for your input.
Well, my body, mind, and spirit are equal to one another and they each form 1/3 of me. I believe that is the case with all people. The difference between Christians and others is that the spirit of sin that was in Adam is replaced by the Holy Spirit in Christians, whereas it isn't in non-Christians.

YoursTrue

How do you know what percentage they form of you? I really want to know.
However it works, I doubt mind, body and soul is each 1/3 of the whole and equal to the others. But if you think so, that's what you believe. Each godperson is 1/3 of the whole. So now I guess you must think 1/3 = 1? Since God is one, not three or 1/3 of 3. Ah well, have a good time..maybe we can talk about this later. Like when Jesus said the Father is GREATER than he is. Not equal.

YoursTrue

Well, my body, mind, and spirit are equal to one another and they each form 1/3 of me. I believe that is the case with all people. The difference between Christians and others is that the spirit of sin that was in Adam is replaced by the Holy Spirit in Christians, whereas it isn't in non-Christians.
Live and learn. I never heard that analogy before. That each godperson is 1/3 of the whole whatever the whole is. Ah well have a good one. ..and if you think body, mind and soul are each 1/3 of you...have a good evening.