• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
The spirit that returns to God is the soul that returns to God.
It becomes obvious if you look at other verses and understand what they mean.
But I've done that already here so I am not going to do it again.
you don't believe or care what the Bible says anyway. You've said that. bye again. take care and enjoy life as it exists now with others.

walt

Jesus is King & Mighty God Isa.9:6-7; Lk.1:32-33
Hell is not a place insofar as my religion is concerned. Maybe this short video will help to explain that.

I watched the video, and the speaker explains Bahia has words that explain when you die, you have a soul that lives on.

In the Bible, not everyone has immortality. 1 Timothy 6:16

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
When all the translations of Ecclesiastes 12:7 say spirit or breath, and never soul, isn't it obvious what this scripture is trying to say?
Genesis 2:7 KJ21
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Eccl 2:7 KJ21
then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

God gives us life and we become a soul in Gen 2:7 and the spirit returns to God in Eccl 2:7.

What do you think the spirit is if not the soul?

walt

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Eccl 2:7 KJ21
then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

God gives us life and we become a soul in Gen 2:7 and the spirit returns to God in Eccl 2:7.

What do you think the spirit is if not the soul?

1. formed man of the dust of the ground....+......2. the breath of life - 3. Man becomes a living soul. [ man+breath = living soul. ]

Notice the man plus the breath of life = becomes a living soul.

Please let's just, agree to disagree? :) I think we're not getting anywhere? Good night Thank you.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I watched the video, and the speaker explains Bahia has words that explain when you die, you have a soul that lives on.

In the Bible, not everyone has immortality. 1 Timothy 6:16

1 Timothy 6

—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

That verse does not say that not everyone has immortality.
It is referring to God, not to humans, and it says that God is immortal and God lives in unapproachable light.

1 Corinthians 15:49-54
And as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the heavenly Man. Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does corruption inherit incorruption. Behold, I tell you a mystery: We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed— in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed. For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible has put on incorruption, and this mortal has put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written: 'Death is swallowed up in victory.'

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

1. formed man of the dust of the ground....+......2. the breath of life - 3. Man becomes a living soul. [ man+breath = living soul. ]

Notice the man plus the breath of life = becomes a living soul.

Please let's just, agree to disagree? :) I think we're not getting anywhere? Good night Thank you.
I am happy to agree to disagree. :)

walt

May I inquire whether you know of any other scriptures that mention souls (spirits) or describes the afterlife?
First I do not confuse God's spirit/Breath of Life with the word soul.

But please, I do not want to argue about words, I could care less about arguing about words, you can do it, I am not going to.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
First I do not confuse God's spirit/Breath of Life with the word soul.

But please, I do not want to argue about words, I could care less about arguing about words, you can do it, I am not going to.

It is not my intention to argue with you, Walt. I'm merely trying to figure out what you believe about the Bible and the afterlife.

walt

It is not my intention to argue with you, Walt. I'm merely trying to figure out what you believe about the Bible and the afterlife.
I could post here some of the scriptures that help me understand? But I don't want to debate over each word.

It's like if I was asking you for the scriptures you feel are informative, I would look at each scripture, but I wouldn't pick apart each word.

I feel the words in the scripture explain the meaning and the interpretation of that one scripture.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Neither do I. I do not think that God's spirit/Breath of Life = soul.
You spoke of E
Neither do I. I do not think that God's spirit/Breath of Life = soul.
So why did you post the following:
"Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.
Ecc 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the soul shall return unto God who gave it."

Where did you get any translation other than that from your own mind that says "the soul shall return unto God who gave it"? Realizing you also said you don't care what the Bible says, I do wonder why you say now that you do not think that God's spirit/breath of life = soul when you deliberately gave your own uneducated translation of Ecc 12:7 as well as saying you don't care what the Bible says anyway.

YoursTrue

@Sgt. Pepper You ask about the "afterlife." I am not being too funny here when I ask you what you think life is. Because you speak of afterlife. First define what life is, then maybe you can say what you think is "after" life...