• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist church?

Trey of Diamonds

You will have to clarify. Are you asking can a homosexual who is out be a member of any southern Baptists church or are you asking if there are any southern Baptists churches that will allow a homosexual to join? I know that when I was in a Pride Parade in Houston with my UU church there were a couple of Baptist churches who were also walking in the parade. Not sure if they were in the Southern Convention or not though. Are you asking about Baptist churches that are in the South or specifically members of the Southern Convention?

connermt

In addition, how about any Mormon church, and any Assembly of God church?

I bet they could join the baptist and mormon churches, until they were "found out". :cover:
There is some talk about Joe Smith being gay himself. Though mormon elders don't like to discuss it.
Church of god....some where I lived previously openly accept gay people/couples. One even has a lesbian minister.

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
You will have to clarify. Are you asking can a homosexual who is out be a member of any southern Baptists church or are you asking if there are any southern Baptists churches that will allow a homosexual to join? I know that when I was in a Pride Parade in Houston with my UU church there were a couple of Baptist churches who were also walking in the parade. Not sure if they were in the Southern Convention or not though. Are you asking about Baptist churches that are in the South or specifically members of the Southern Convention?

I am referring to Southern Baptist churches that are members of the Southern Baptist Convention. In addition, I am referring to homosexuals whose sexual preference is known by the boards of directors of the churches.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I wouldn't place much money on an openly homosexual person being welcomed into a Southern Baptist congregation, but there might be a few congregations out there that would.

By the way, a friend of mine's father came out of the closet while she was a member of one of the Dallas area's largest Southern Baptist congregations. She was told by the pastors and by others in the church to have nothing more to do with her father. So at least some congregations can be pretty extreme in rejecting homosexuals.

Trey of Diamonds

I am referring to Southern Baptist churches that are members of the Southern Baptist Convention. In addition, I am referring to homosexuals whose sexual preference is known by the boards of directors of the churches.

Well the answer is yes, they can. They will very uncomfortable being members of one of these churches and will most likely be pressured into a pray the gay away scenario. One thing you have to remember about Baptist churches, each and every one of them is fully autonomous. They are all allowed to make up their own rules and bylaws. While there is the Southern Baptist Convention and American Baptist Convention, these are not authoritative heirarchies that the individual churches must bow to. This is why Westboro really is a Baptist church and no one can tell them they can't use the term Baptist. And why some Baptists churches can be so liberal that they will march in a Gay Pride Parade.

Having grown up Southern Baptist I like to do my fair share of Baptist Bashing but if you are looking for an easy target to heap scorn on, it isn't the Baptist Church because there are too many different forms of Baptist to choose from.

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
Well the answer is yes, they can. They will very uncomfortable being members of one of these churches and will most likely be pressured into a pray the gay away scenario. One thing you have to remember about Baptist churches, each and every one of them is fully autonomous. They are all allowed to make up their own rules and bylaws. While there is the Southern Baptist Convention and American Baptist Convention, these are not authoritative heirarchies that the individual churches must bow to. This is why Westboro really is a Baptist church and no one can tell them they can't use the term Baptist. And why some Baptists churches can be so liberal that they will march in a Gay Pride Parade.

Having grown up Southern Baptist I like to do my fair share of Baptist Bashing but if you are looking for an easy target to heap scorn on, it isn't the Baptist Church because there are too many different forms of Baptist to choose from.

I mentioned the Southern Baptist Convention, not other Baptist churches.

Please provide the names of one or more individual Southern Baptist churches, that are members of the Southern Baptist Convention, that allow openly homosexual people to join the church. I assume that you cannot name any, or that if you can name some, they would be rare exceptions.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

I mentioned the Southern Baptist Convention, not other Baptist churches.

Please provide the names of one or more individual Southern Baptist churches, that are members of the Southern Baptist Convention, that allow openly homosexual people to join the church.

That is my point, how is anyone to know without going to each one and asking? It's not like they take ads out in the newspaper with a list of gay members. You are looking for an easy target to point a finger at and you thought that Baptists would be an good scapegoat. But its more complex than that because there are no national bylaws that all Southern Baptists churches have to conform to. Each church will react to having a gay member differently according to how the congregation views the subject and the person in question. Dems the facts, if you don't like them then find another boogie man to use.

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
That is my point, how is anyone to know without going to each one and asking?

Some homosexuals are well-known, such as Ellen DeGeneres, and Elton John. Could they join some Southern Baptist churches if they wanted to? You implied that they could, so where are some examples?

I believe that if closet gay people join virtually any Southern Baptist church, and the church eventually finds out that they are gay, they will be dismissed from the church, or be allowed to attend church, but lose their membership in the church.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
.......there are no national bylaws that all Southern Baptists churches have to conform to.

In general, that is true, but I believe that allowing openly homosexual people to become church members is an exception as far as the board of directors of the Southern Baptist Convention is concerned.

Trey of Diamonds

Some homosexuals are well-known, such as Ellen DeGeneres, and Elton John. Could they join some Southern Baptist churches if they wanted to? You implied that they could, so where are some examples?

I believe that if closet gay people join virtually any Southern Baptist church, and the church eventually finds out that they are gay, they will be dismissed from the church.

And you are wrong. Baptists are very much into the "Hate the Sin, Love the Sinner" BS that is so popular in Christianity these days. Closeted gays who are found within the congregation would not be dismissed, that would be considered challenges for salvation. There would be lots of praying and counseling and so forth. Biggest point is that the reaction of the congregation would be different from church to church. There is no doctrine that says if this happens then do this, not in the Baptist Church.

As for your question about celebrrity gays trying to join the church, well they wouldn't be allowed because the church would believe that they were trying to use the church for their own selfish objectives, kind of like you are doing. :sarcastic

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
That is my point, how is anyone to know without going to each one and asking?

I believe that if closet gay people join virtually any Southern Baptist church, and the church eventually finds out that they are gay, they will be lose their membership in the church, and may or may not allowed to continue attending the church.

Why haven't you posted any examples of Southern Baptist churches that allow openly gay people to become members of the church, or that will allow closet gay church members to keep their memberships if the church finds out that they are gay?

Agnostic75

About Us - Basic Beliefs

sbc.net said:
I believe our pastor (or my church) has acted inappropriately. What will the SBC do about it?

Actually, the Southern Baptist Convention is not in a position to take any disciplinary action regarding pastors or churches. Again, because of the autonomy of the local church, each SBC church is responsible before God to set its own policies regarding pastors or problems in the church. Such policies are entirely up to the individual congregation.

According to our constitution, if a church no longer makes a bona fide contribution to the Convention's work, or if it acts to "affirm, approve, or endorse homosexual behavior," it no longer complies with the Constitution of the Southern Baptist Convention and is not permitted to send messengers to the annual meeting. These, however, are the only explicitly stated instances in which the SBC has the prerogative to take action. Failure to remain in "friendly cooperation" would also disqualify a church from sending messengers, and is obviously more of a subjective test.

I believe that that means that no church that allows openly homosexual people to become church members is allowed to be a member of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

I believe that if closet gay people join virtually any Southern Baptist church, and the church eventually finds out that they are gay, they will be lose their membership in the church, and may or may not allowed to continue attending the church.

Why haven't you posted any examples of Southern Baptist churches that allow openly gay people to become members of the church, or that will allow closet gay church members to keep their memberships if the church finds out that they are gay?

Are you Baptist? Have you gone to Baptist Churchs for many years of your life? If the answer is no then how can you tell me, a person who grew up in the Baptist Chruch, what Baptists will or will not do? You demand evidence from me? My evidence is personal experience. As the outsider looking in, it is up to you to show me proof of why my experience with Southern Baptists is wrong and your theory about what you believe them to be like is correct.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Let me get this straight: Two people are debating here the absolutely vital question of whether it is most -- or it is all -- Southern Baptist churches prohibit gays? Most or all? Really?

Will someone pass me the whisky? I feel a need to overdose.