• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist church?

Trey of Diamonds

But can you provide that name of even one Southern Baptist church that allows openly gay people to become members?

Here is the thing. The churches who participate in pray away the gay are aggressively protested against, which is a good thing in my opinion. But it also means that they do not go around advertising the fact that they do this. So there aren't going to be examples just lying around on the internet for us to post. Now if that makes you feel like a big debate winner you go right ahead and give yourself a gold star.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is interesting to note that no one has provided an example of any Southern Baptist church that allows openly homosexual people to become church members. It is easy to find hundreds, if not thousands, that do not.

First Baptist Church in Denver, Colorado.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
It is interesting to note that no one has provided an example of any Southern Baptist church that allows openly homosexual people to become church members. It is easy to find hundreds, if not thousands, that do not.

You're assuming that out of all people here, we are aware of the ideas of every SBC, unless of course, you're not stating that just because we are not aware of any, that that means there aren't none that do.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Regarding "affirm, approve, or endorse homosexual behavior," it is reasonable to assume that a church allowing openly homosexual people to join a church, or allowing closet homosexual church members to remain church members if it becomes known that they are homosexual, would be considered by the Southern Baptist Convention to affirm, approve, or endorse homosexual behavior.
Only if you have a very broad idea of what homosexual behavior is. Most likely, they are talking about sex.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Maybe it's because most of us do not go to Southern Baptist churches? That seems quite reasonable.

A

angellous_evangellous

In addition, how about any Mormon church, and any Assembly of God church?

I know homosexuals who are ordained ministers in both churches.

Why a homosexual would want to have anything to do with the SBC is beyond me - the SBC would kill, skin, and eat them alive (and I mean that in the most literal sense possible) if they could.

The Assemblies of God I think are a little more humane I think. I've encountered much more tolerance there.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
In addition, how about any Mormon church, and any Assembly of God church?

Here's an example. You also asked about the Assemblies of God church. Since I have very limited experience with the SBC, I thought I'd address them, since I was a member of that church for some time. Here's the official position paper on homosexuality from the AoG:

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Position_Papers/pp_downloads/pp_4181_homosexuality.pdf

Note particularly sections II and III. I was a member of a particular AoG church for about four years, and, as I stated earlier, they followed the two stipulations that allowed for an openly homosexual person to be a member of the church.

Trey of Diamonds

Why a homosexual would want to have anything to do with the SBC is beyond me - the SBC would kill, skin, and eat them alive (and I mean that in the most literal sense possible) if they could.

Yes, but they would do it with love and understanding.

(BTW, you do know how difficult it is to kill someone and then eat them alive right? :sarcastic)

Agnostic75

dyanaprajna2011 said:
Here's an example. You also asked about the Assemblies of God church. Since I have very limited experience with the SBC, I thought I'd address them, since I was a member of that church for some time. Here's the official position paper on homosexuality from the AoG:

http://ag.org/top/Beliefs/Position_Papers/pp_downloads/pp_4181_homosexuality.pdf

Note particularly sections II and III. I was a member of a particular AoG church for about four years, and, as I stated earlier, they followed the two stipulations that allowed for an openly homosexual person to be a member of the church.

Please quote the parts of the document that apply to homosexuals becoming members.

Agnostic75

angellous_evangellous said:
I know homosexuals who are ordained ministers in [Mormon, and Assembly of God] churches.

Please provide some examples. An occasional Assembly of God church would not surprise me, but any Mormon church would surprise me, meaning any Mormon church that was officially affiliated with the parent church in Utah.

Agnostic75

fallingblood said:
Only if you have a very broad idea of what homosexual behavior is. Most likely, they are talking about sex.

Most likely, any church that allows openly homosexual people to become church members is not allowed to be a member of the Southern Baptist Convention.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Please quote the parts of the document that apply to homosexuals becoming members.

There is nowhere in the paper that explicitly states one way or the other. However, the paper states that they are to help homosexuals seek reconciliation to god. This is done primarily in the church. The paper states:

Believers who struggle with homosexual temptations must be encouraged and strengthened by fellow
Christians (Galatians 6:1,2). Likewise, they should be taught that temptation is universal, that temptation
itself is not sin, and that temptation can be resisted and overcome (1 Corinthians 10:13; Hebrews 12:1–6).

Also:

Christians should also do all they can to assist the person who has struggled with homosexual behaviors to
find deliverance. Change is not always easy but it is possible. It may require the help of others in the body
of Christ, such as counselors and pastors, as well as a supportive church fellowship. Christian organizations
are also available to help those who seek to change their lifestyles.
We desire all to be reconciled to God—to experience the peace and joy that stems from the forgiveness of
sin through a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. God does not want any to perish in their sins; He
invites all to accept His offer of eternal life (John 3:16). As part of His church, we issue that invitation to
life in Christ to everyone.

The terminology here is Christian, of course, and would suggest that the person "struggling" with homosexuality could only find release as part of the "body of Christ", which is the church.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Most likely, any church that allows openly homosexual people to become church members is not allowed to be a member of the Southern Baptist Convention.
Based on what evidence? A feeling you have? Because you want that to be true? It seems that you simply ignore everything anyone else says, and instead, rely on a faith that you have. I call it faith as it is based on beliefs, assumptions, and ignoring everything that you are being told. As in, you haven't supplied any evidence.

Agnostic75

fallingblood said:
Why not look at section II and III?

I just did. Unless I missed something, nothing at all is mentioned that applies to allowing known, practicing homosexuals to become church members.

Agnostic75

dyanaprajna2011 said:
There is nowhere in the paper that explicitly states one way or the other. However, the paper states that they are to help homosexuals seek reconciliation to god.

This thread is about church membership for practicing homosexuals, not about how some churches try to rehabilitate or change homosexuals.

A

angellous_evangellous

Please provide some examples. An occasional Assembly of God church would not surprise me, but any Mormon church would surprise me, meaning any Mormon church that was officially affiliated with the parent church in Utah.

Don't worry, I'm not upset at all that you misquoted me. [It's never a good idea to modify what a person said AND THEN QUOTE IT. In fact, I'm pretty sure that such an action IS AGAINST THE RULES OF THE FORUM.]

If you had read my post, you would see that I did list examples related to BOTH the SBC (which is in your OP) and the Assemblies of God. I did not address the LDS church at all, because I don't know anything about it.

EXAMPLE:

RULE 3: TROLLING
Deliberately altering the words of another member by intentionally changing the meaning when you use the quote feature is considered a form of bullying.

Last edited by a moderator:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I just did. Unless I missed something, nothing at all is mentioned that applies to allowing known, practicing homosexuals to become church members.
You're moving the goal posts now by adding practicing. One can be openly homosexual, and be celibate at the same time.

More so, it never states that homosexuals can't join the church. Instead, it basically says to hate the sin, but love the sinner. The "sin" can be overcame, or the temptation to "sin" can be overcome.