• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist church?

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
If this is your goal, then why point out specific denominations? If you are looking for churches that accept gays you might want to stop focusing on those that do not.

I already mentioned a link at http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/united_states.htm that lists lots of individual gay friendly churches in all 50 states.

That is not my only goal. Another goal that I have is to indentify the most outspoken and extreme opponents of homosexuality. It is reasonable to identify oppressive groups, and individuals. At The European Parliament Intergroup on LGBT Rights, an article shows that the European Parliament has identified, and strongly criticized, some European countries that unfairly discriminate against homosexuals.

Trey of Diamonds

I already mentioned a link at http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/united_states.htm that lists lots of individual gay friendly churches in all 50 states.

That is not my only goal. Another goal that I have is to indentify the most outspoken and extreme opponents of homosexuality. It is reasonable to identify oppressive groups, and individuals. At The European Parliament Intergroup on LGBT Rights, an article shows that the European Parliament has identified, and strongly criticized, some European countries that unfairly discriminate against homosexuals.

What I don't understand is why you feel you have to make up stuff to show the SBC as oppressive anti-homosexual bullies. There is a mulititude of evidence of this without inventing some policy rule that says you can't be a member and gay at the same time. Stick to the real crimes, there's plenty to choose from.

Agnostic75

angellous_evangellous said:
You're right. My friend didn't join an SBC church.

I suppose that you're the kind a person who, once you blindly assume something, you won't change your mind no matter what evidence is present to the contrary.

Is there anything else you'd like to make up about the SBC?

My position is that currently, the Southern Baptist Convention strongly criticizes homosexual behavior, and that it is probable that it does not allow any member churches to allow openly homosexual people to become members. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? If there are some exceptions regarding individual churches, wouldn't they probably be very rare?

What is so unusual about some large groups of religious people being discriminatory towards other groups of people? Homosexuals have been widely oppressed in most of the world for thousands of years. Only in recent decades have they become much more accepted in certain places in the world.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
What I don't understand is why you feel you have to make up stuff to show the SBC as oppressive anti-homosexual bullies. There is a mulititude of evidence of this without inventing some policy rule that says you can't be a member and gay at the same time.

I believe that such a policy exists. Even if it doesn't, the title of this thread is "Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist church?" You admitted that you do not have any examples. If any such examples exist, I believe that they are very rare.

I am trying to find out what the official Southern Baptist Convention policy is.

What about the Mormon church headquarters? What is their policy?

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

My position is that currently, the Southern Baptist Convention strongly criticizes homosexual behavior, and that it is probable that it does not allow any member churches to allow openly homosexual people to become members. Do you have any evidence to the contrary? If there are some exceptions regarding individual churches, wouldn't they probably be very rare?

What is so unusual about some large groups of religious people being discriminatory towards other groups of people? Homosexuals have been widely oppressed in most of the world for thousands of years. Only in recent decades have they become much more accepted in certain places in the world.

This isn't an excuse for a lazy, uniformed, and stupid criticism of something, particularly an entity as easy to learn about as the SBC.

Yes, I've presented evidence to the contrary. You've chosen to ignore it and throw stupid little pebbles at something that you obstinately refuse to understand.

A

angellous_evangellous

I believe that such a policy exists.

I am trying to find out what the official Southern Baptist Convention policy is.

How on earth can you "believe" that such a policy exists, defend such an assumption to the point that you refuse evidence to the contrary, and then admit that you don't even know the policy.

Hint: You are embarrassing yourself. Get over it.

A

angellous_evangellous

I believe that such a policy exists. Even if it doesn't, the title of this thread is "Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist church?" You admitted that you do not have any examples. If any such examples exist, I believe that they are very rare.

What about the Mormon church headquarters? What is their policy?

Out of pity I'll give you a key word, "autonomy."

Agnostic75

Trey of Diamonds said:
You will not get an answer, they are purposefully
vague on the issue.

I disagree.

Southern Baptists Convention fighting 'don't ask, don't tell' repeal - Democratic Underground

democraticunderground.com said:

The Southern Baptist Convention is battling the expected repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" on a number of fronts: Its agencies are contacting members of Congress and the Pentagon; retired chaplains are sending letters to President Obama; and a resolution adopted at the denomination's annual meeting in Orlando this week condemns allowing gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

The title of this thread is "Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist Church?" Has anyone provided the name any Southern Baptist church that currently allows openly homsoexual people to become a church member? If there are any such Southern Baptist churches, I assume that they are very rare exceptions. Does the Mormon church headquarters allow any member churches to allow openly homsoexual people to become a church member?

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The title of this thread is "Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist Church?" Has anyone provided the name any Southern Baptist church that currently allows openly homsoexual people to become a church member? If there are any such Southern Baptist churches, I assume that they are very rare exceptions.

That would take a lot of research. There must be thousands of Southern Baptist Churches.

Agnostic75

ChristineES said:
That would take a lot of research. There must be thousands of Southern Baptist Churches.

One need not contact every Southern Baptist church in order to find an exception. If there are some exceptions, I assume that they are very rare.

What about Mormon churches?

Agnostic75

angellous_evangellous said:
Out of pity I'll give you a key word, "autonomy."

About Us - Basic Beliefs

sbc.net said:
.......the Southern Baptist Convention is not in a position to take any disciplinary action regarding pastors or churches. Again, because of the autonomy of the local church, each SBC church is responsible before God to set its own policies regarding pastors or problems in the church. Such policies are entirely up to the individual congregation.

According to our constitution, if a church no longer makes a bona fide contribution to the Convention's work, or if it acts to "affirm, approve, or endorse homosexual behavior," it no longer complies with the Constitution of the Southern Baptist Convention and is not permitted to send messengers to the annual meeting. These, however, are the only explicitly stated instances in which the SBC has the prerogative to take action. Failure to remain in "friendly cooperation" would also disqualify a church from sending messengers, and is obviously more of a subjective test.

Apparently, automony has some limits.

Anyway, where have you provided any evidence of a Southern Baptist Church that currently allows openly homosexual people to become church members? If there are some exceptions, I assume that they would be very rare.

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
One need not contact every Southern Baptist church in order to find an exception. If there are some exceptions, I assume that they are very rare.

What about Mormon churches?

I'm not a Mormon. I answered the other because I am a Baptist- not a Southern Baptist, but a Baptist nonetheless. :)

A

angellous_evangellous

I suspect that Mormons require homosexuals to fly rainbow colored kites and wear socks that don't match, and black shoes with a brown belt.

Of course, I know nothing of Mormon polity.

If there are exceptions to this rule, it is rare.

Agnostic75

SBC Committee Decides against Expelling Members of Pro-Gay Bapist Alliance, Christian News

christianpost.com said:
In 2009, the SBC voted to oust Broadway Baptist Church in Fort Worth, Texas when it discovered that the church allowed openly gay members to hold leadership positions. Broadway Baptist Church last fall ended its 125-year-old affiliation with the General Baptist Convention of Texas.

And just last month, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary severed its 14-year affiliation with the Tarrant Baptist Association because it said the latter has a member church or churches that do not adhere to the SBC position that homosexuality is a sin.

Tarrant Baptist Association has 395 member churches, according to its website.

The SBC Executive Committee’s recommendation will be a formal motion at the annual SBC meeting in Phoenix, Ariz., June 14-15.

Last edited:
A

angellous_evangellous

About Us - Basic Beliefs

Apparently, automony has some limits.

Anyway, where have you provided any evidence of a Southern Baptist Church that currently allows openly homosexual people to become church members? If there are some exceptions, I assume that they would be very rare.

This is a reading problem.

Just go back and write stuff into my quotes.

A

angellous_evangellous

Why would Mormons want homos to look like engineers?
That's a pretty harsh dictate!

It was inscribed in invisible ink on the back of a baseball card that Danny the Grailien brought back from Zarkon.