• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can known homosexuals join any Southern Baptist church?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
This thread is about church membership for practicing homosexuals, not about how some churches try to rehabilitate or change homosexuals.

fallingblood has already pointed out several issues with this particular argument, so I'm only going to state that yes, I was a member of an Assemblies of God church that did allow open homosexuals as members.

A

angellous_evangellous

You're moving the goal posts now by adding practicing. One can be openly homosexual, and be celibate at the same time.

More so, it never states that homosexuals can't join the church. Instead, it basically says to hate the sin, but love the sinner. The "sin" can be overcame, or the temptation to "sin" can be overcome.

Do you really think that's possible?

I hate a lot of actions, ranging from child molestation to people misquoting me on the forums. I don't understand how we can hate the sin and not the sinner, because our self-identification and our understanding of others is based on what people do. In fact, the things that people do is the only thing that we really know about them - we can't read minds or understand hearts - but we can interpret actions.

Because of this, I think that the "hate the sin" maxim is nothing more than a justification to misrepresent hatred for "the sinner" as love for "the sinner". So many churches hate homosexuals and try to rehabilitate them rather than love them for who they are (which is what they do).

Agnostic75

fallingblood said:
You're moving the goal posts now by adding practicing. One can be openly homosexual, and be celibate at the same time.

I meant "assumed to be practicing." If a gay man talks about having sex with another man, most churches would assume that he is a practicing homosexual.

I assume that any openly gay man who publically promotes gay rights would not be allowed to join any Southern Baptist church, and that any exceptions would be very rare.

Last edited:

Agnostic75

Message to fallingblood: You questioned the actual size of the Southern Baptist Convention. They claim to have over 16,000,000 members, and over 44,000 thousand churches. Even if they deliberately, or inadvertently overestimated their size, they are still the largest Protestant church in the U.S., and almost certainly have at least 10 million members, and have a lot of political influence in some states.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
With all due respect, you don't have to join the Baptist Church, there are plenty of Churches that will accept you. Are you even a Christian. I mean if someone is gay and a Christian, I could understand why you'd want to find a Church to accept you and that you'd want the Church of your choice to accept you. But if you are not a Christian, why would you want to join a Church? Do you like the singing or some other aspect?
;););)

Agnostic75

angellous_evangellous said:
I don't see why.

I am interested in whether or not any Southern Baptist churches currently allow openly homosexual people to become members, and which church denominations, and individual churches openly welcome homosexuals.

A

angellous_evangellous

I meant "assumed to be practicing." If a gay man talks about having sex with another man, most churches would assume that he is a practicing homosexual.

I assume that any openly gay man who publically promotes gay rights would not be allowed to join any Southern Baptist church, and that any exceptions would be very rare.

This is irrelevant, given the rarity of homosexuality in the general population, and the unpopularity of the SBC and evangelical churches in general.

I do happen to know Rev. Cody J Sanders, who has served on staff at SBC churches and joined an SBC church shortly before its ties with the SBC were severed. He is very active in Baptist life - Rev. Cody J. Sanders

His husband is a Baptist chaplain at a local hospital.

Agnostic75

ChristineES said:
With all due respect, you don't have to join the Baptist Church, there are plenty of Churches that will accept you. Are you even a Christian. I mean if someone is gay and a Christian, I could understand why you'd want to find a Church to accept you and that you'd want the Church of your choice to accept you. But if you are not a Christian, why would you want to join a Church? Do you like the singing or some other aspect?

I think that many Americans are interested in which church denominations, and/or which individual churches, are welcoming and friendly to homosexuals. I previously posted a link that lists lots of individual gay friendly churches in the U.S.

As you know, homosexuality, and same-sex marriage, are hot topics all over the U.S. There is a war of values going on in the U.S., and homosexuality, and same-sex marriage, are a big part of it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think that many Americans are interested in which church denominations, and/or which individual churches, are welcoming and friendly to homosexuals. I previously posted a link that lists lots of individual gay friendly churches in the U.S.

As you know, homosexuality, and same-sex marriage, are hot topics all over the U.S. There is a war of values going on in the U.S., and homosexuality, and same-sex marriage, are a big part of it.

Just keep in mind that I am a Baptist, it is no secret here. I used to be Southern Baptist (believe it or not), but it was just too much for me, especially when our pastor had a anti rock and roll spiel once. I don't think of myself as being a bigot and I don't hate gays and I am not a homophobe by any stretch of the imagination.
I thought I'd let you kow.

Trey of Diamonds

If this is your goal, then why point out specific denominations? :sarcastic If you are looking for churches that accept gays you might want to stop focusing on those that do not.:rolleyes:

Agnostic75

angellous_evangellous said:
This is irrelevant, given the rarity of homosexuality in the general population, and the unpopularity of the SBC and evangelical churches in general.

I do happen to know Rev. Cody J Sanders, who has served on staff at SBC churches and joined an SBC church shortly before its ties with the SBC were severed. He is very active in Baptist life - Rev. Cody J. Sanders

His husband is a Baptist chaplain at a local hospital.

None of that changes the probable fact that the Southern Baptist Convention does not allow member churches to allow openly homosexual people to become church members.

The Southern Baptist Convention has been losing popularity, but it still probably has over 10 million members, and its members have lots of political influence in most Southern Bible Belt states.

Trey of Diamonds

None of that changes the probable fact that the Southern Baptist Convention does not allow member churches to allow openly homosexual people to become church members.

The Southern Baptist Convention has been losing popularity, but it still probably has over 10 million members, and its members have lots of political influence in most Southern Bible Belt states.

None of that changes the probable fact that you know nothing about the Baptist Southern Convention and you're making this stuff up as you go along.

A

angellous_evangellous

You're right. My friend didn't join an SBC church.

:rolleyes:

I suppose that you're the kind a person who, once you blindly assume something, you won't change your mind no matter what evidence is present to the contrary.

Is there anything else you'd like to make up about the SBC?

(for the love of pete, make it entertaining)