• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Pope send to hell to somebody?

female11

Freedom of expression
Throughout history, the Pope has been able excommunicate to they that did not accept his will. There is much people who are atheistic or they does not believe in him. We must be scared of his power?:confused:

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Nah, the Pope's just a guy.

In my opinion, his only power is political.

A

angellous_evangellous

Just be nice to him and there's nothing to worry about.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Throughout history, the Pope has been able excommunicate to they that did not accept his will. There is much people who are atheistic or they does not believe in him. We must be scared of his power?:confused:
Excommunication only applies to baptised Catholics, and it doesn't make them "non-Christian" or "non-Catholic", it simply means that they cannot receive the sacraments or (quoting the Catechism) "exercise certain ecclesiatical acts"... though I'll leave it to the Catholics here to fill in what those "certain acts" are if they want to.

Excommunication does not mean that the Pope is consigning someone to Hell.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
In my humble and honest opinion -

He is a man just like you and I, falliable just as much as you and I
The Pope is just a politician,
He doesn't have the power or privlegde to speak or act in God's name on earth.
He doesn't hold the Holy Priesthood.

I know some catholics will probably get pissy but just as i said, i'm stating my personal opinion. if someoen wants to debate me on this, i'll be glad to do it 1v1.

Booko

Deviled Hen

Excommunication does not apply to non-Catholics anyway. What are you worried about?

You would do better to get an opinion from one of our Catholic members, who might be able to point you to something that's actually factual about what the Pope does and does not claim to have the power to do.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
In the LDS church excommunication is not a condemnation, it is a release of the covenants they took upon themselves. It's to promote repentance, We do not condemn anyone to hell. in fact it is the opposite, it is breaking the bounds on you that would make your punishment worse if you refuse to repent and change your ways, AND it is ONLY used in extreme cases of severe crimes against humanity.

even if a person does become excommunicated, it is still possible for them to be re-baptised and full membership re-instated, if they will but repent and adhere to the laws and ordinaces of the gospel.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Excommunication only applies to baptised Catholics, and it doesn't make them "non-Christian" or "non-Catholic", it simply means that they cannot receive the sacraments or (quoting the Catechism) "exercise certain ecclesiatical acts"... though I'll leave it to the Catholics here to fill in what those "certain acts" are if they want to.

Excommunication does not mean that the Pope is consigning someone to Hell.

One of my husband's uncles was excommunicant because he divorced and remarried.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Are you afraid of his power? Do you even believe he has the power to do what you are suggesting?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Confusing exommunication with anathema... they do not mean the same things(though anathema encompasses exommunication).

But even anathema ends with "that his soul may be saved on the day of judgment"

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Actually the Pope could send anyone to hell, but hopefully he'd loan them the popemobile to get there.

Here are directions.

Can the pope command hell to come to earth and exist around one particular person?

That's how I read the title of the thread.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
Can the pope command hell to come to earth and exist around one particular person?

That's how I read the title of the thread.
Maybe that's because you didn't take into account that the poster is from Sweden and that English is undoubtedly not her native tongue. :)

logician

Since "hell" is not even well supported biblically, I doubt the pope will be seding anyone to a fictitious place.