• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the Soul be destroyed?

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
What is my concept - and how does it differ from yours? If you really do not know what my concept is - how can you say it is not true?

Zadok

I have no idea what your concept is. If you believe a god exists, it differs from mine in that you hold it to be true.

I say it's not true, because all man-made god-concepts are more easily and simply explained through psychological and sociological phenomena, than by the actual existence of what any individual conceives of as god.

Also, since nearly every person has a unique conception of what god is to them, the idea that any individual is actually correct, is somewhat ludicrous.

Zadok

Zadok
I have no idea what your concept is. If you believe a god exists, it differs from mine in that you hold it to be true.

I say it's not true, because all man-made god-concepts are more easily and simply explained through psychological and sociological phenomena, than by the actual existence of what any individual conceives of as god.

Also, since nearly every person has a unique conception of what god is to them, the idea that any individual is actually correct, is somewhat ludicrous.

So I will speak on one of my concepts of G-d by quoting an LDS scripture:

The glory of G-d is intelligence or the light of truth

Thus my concept of G-d is that he acts out of intelligence and truth - my concept is also that anyone that understands the truth is also capable. Thus my concept is that what ever G-d created he did so because of principles that he followed and understood to be true and that you could likewise creat based on the same true principles. If we have no concept of the intelligence of G-d - what is the point seeking any intelligence if we refuse any such concept of G-d?

Zadok

Last edited:

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
I am still waiting for a usable definition of "Soul".

Generally, with "self" or "soul" or "spirit," I have understood it to be the non-physical parts of our makeup, that makes us who we are. I have heard some people say that this our "junk" dna. It is a tangible part of our makeup, but yet it is not understood to have any purpose by scientists. It is the part of our makeup that is a mystery, but it makes us who we are.

That is the best thing I can muster for you and I am not willing to debate it with you. :D I only want a spanking if it's kinky. If you whooped my behind for real I might cry. lol.

Zadok

Zadok
Longer answer is found in Ezekiel is that the 'soul' that sins 'dies'.
Yes, the soul can be destroyed including Satan.

Ez 18vs4,20; Heb 2v14 B

Anciently it was understood that death and hell were the same thing. Therefore, it is a mistake to think that the ancient concept was that s soul ended with death as we end mortal life. Anciently it was believed that the soul suffered in the death of sin and was cognoscente of that suffering.

Zadok

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Did not see it....that the soul can be lost....or bartered.

Here in this life we are thoughtful...having a 'mind' of our own.
We each have an emotional heart.

When all is well...our 'souls' are at peace.

But we know the mind can be lost, and a troubled heart can lead to undue action.

Perhaps we can agree, the soul is the 'condition' of mind and heart.
And without care and considerations, all portions can be lost.

At the hour of dying, the soul could be lost altogether.
Perhaps, for some of you, not having thought or feeling toward the hereafter...
you have no hope of retaining your souls.

Perhaps an unkept soul can be devoured?
There is a parable in place, which ends....
'...a weeping and gnashing of teeth.'

Of course parables speak of spiritual things....not flesh.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Generally, with "self" or "soul" or "spirit," I have understood it to be the non-physical parts of our makeup, that makes us who we are. I have heard some people say that this our "junk" dna. It is a tangible part of our makeup, but yet it is not understood to have any purpose by scientists. It is the part of our makeup that is a mystery, but it makes us who we are.

That is the best thing I can muster for you and I am not willing to debate it with you. :D I only want a spanking if it's kinky. If you whooped my behind for real I might cry. lol.
So, basically, there is no usable definition of soul...?

babaghanoush

I believe that the "soul" is just another term for the energy that makes up everything in this universe. According to the first law of thermodynamics, energy cannot be created or destroyed. So, that must mean that no, the soul cannot be destroyed.

Vasilisa Jade

Formerly Saint Tigeress
So, basically, there is no usable definition of soul...?

You don't think my definition is usable!! /scoff

*sticks nose up in air and walks away

:p

lol. No there is no usable definition, because it is all just theory. There is no way to validate it. We don't have to have a concrete definition that is proven to discuss whether or not it can be destroyed though. If we know what people think the soul is or what it is made of, we can still discuss whether or not it could be destroyed if it were that.

It may be nothing of scientific value to anyone, lol, but we can still do it.

BruceDLimber

Longer answer is found in Ezekiel is that the 'soul' that sins 'dies'.

That's a statement of the state of spiritual death, not physical death.

And the scriptures I endeavor to follow state otherwise: the soul will never be destroyed!

Peace, :)

Bruce