• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can the US afford socialized medicine?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
Who said anything about government price-fixing? I'm talking about greater efficiency. Other countries have already achieved it; Americans could do the same.
The vehicles in other countries do not meet US Safety standards. That is why those low grade vehicles cannot be imported to the US without costly modification. Ever wonder why there are so many Mercedes Benz vehicles in other countries? They are not up to par.

Sorry you're neither eligible to vote nor capable of contacting your representatives. Many of us are.

If the people didn't have any say, there wouldn't be any point in discussing politics. And even then, I don't think you'd find many mommies who were formed and supported by their children, so your analogy would still be a big fat fail.
You think your representative cares what you think? Tell him all you want. He made his decision before you contacted him. All you have is the illusion of a voice today.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
If I recall, leading firms in the insurance industry made 12.2 billion in profits last year -- up 56% from the year before -- while dumping 2.7 million Americans from insurance coverage. What's good for profits is not necessarily good for Americans.

Good point Phil

Smoke

Done here.
The vehicles in other countries do not meet US Safety standards. That is why those low grade vehicles cannot be imported to the US without costly modification. Ever wonder why there are so many Mercedes Benz vehicles in other countries? They are not up to par.
What are you smoking?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There you go again blaming the republicans.

THE HOUSE AND THE SENATE DID NOT NEED ONE REPUBLICAN TO PASS HEALTH CARE DUH!

And? There was still the thread of a filibuster. The point is that the democrats tried to include the republicans. They tried to make it at least a little bipartisan. Yet the republicans would have none of it. They simply don't want a healthcare bill passed, no matter what it includes.

So the government is wasting money on one program but they will not do it again with the next one? The thing is, your not in the majority here.

You really are amazing. Let's get back to what I was talking about with my comment. You have a tendency to stray from the topic. So, when you like something it's saving money, but when you don't like it it's robbing?

And I'm not really sure what majority/minority you're referring to here, but it's irrelevant, so please keep it to yourself.

You want a health care plan? The first thing you have to do is quit promising free candy to people at others expense. If this country is ever going to be great again we will have to quit rewarding folks who fail miserably. That includes banks, car manufactures, insurance companies, or just plain folks.

Hey, Rick, why do you hate facts so much?

The facts are we pay much more per person in healthcare than any other industrialized country. We also get worse results for our money. Why do you refuse to see that? We're trying to save you money and get you better care.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
What are you smoking?
It's called living in the real world. For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you want a better car the price goes up. If you want to lower the price, quality suffers. You and Obama can't each hold up an end of the see-saw and expect to not snap it in the middle.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Wiki:
The Health care system in Japan is one of the best in the world. Japan provides healthcare services, including screening examinations for particular diseases at no direct cost to the patient, prenatal care, and infectious disease control, are provided by national and local governments. Payment for personal medical services is offered through a universal health care insurance system that provides relative equality of access, with fees set by a government committee. People without insurance through employers can participate in a national health insurance program administered by local governments. Patients are free to select physicians or facilities of their choice and cannot be denied coverage.

And they're spending less than half of what we are. Clearly their priorities are all wrong. It costs money to deny health care to people. Letting babies die, making sure adults are disabled rather than treated for preventable condition like stroke--those are all expensive, and we're willing to spend what it takes to make sure fewer people get health care.

Have you ever received healthcare in Japan?

Smoke

Done here.
It's called living in the real world. For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction. If you want a better car the price goes up. If you want to lower the price, quality suffers.
Anytime you're ready to live in the real world, take a look around and see that a number of countries have better healthcare than we have, and pay less per capita than we pay for our inferior healthcare. It's not just possible to have lower costs and a better product, it's actually being done, right in front of us. That's the real world.

You and Obama
Me and Barry ain't got nothing going on.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
Smoke said:
Anytime you're ready to live in the real world, take a look around and see that a number of countries have better healthcare than we have, and pay less per capita than we pay for our inferior healthcare. It's not just possible to have lower costs and a better product, it's actually being done, right in front of us. That's the real world.

The reason we are spending so much on health care is because we have a middle-man. And that middle-man is using that extra money to buy himself a gigantic home. Americans are so disillusioned by patriotism. It is pride, me thinks, that keeps us from believing another country can have something better than we do.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Here's a site, and Frontline show, that discusses healthcare in Japan and several other countries.

Rick, why don't you watch this show and peruse the site, then come back and tell us why what works in dozens of other countries is, in fact, impossible.
FRONTLINE: sick around the world: five capitalist democracies & how they do it | PBS

Don't have time to watch Frontline right now. I'll just say the care me and others I know received in Japan was below what we were used to in America.

dust1n

Zindīq
Capitalism is stealing? Right....:rolleyes:

Basically. Wealth is created by selling a product and/or service. If someone get's 60% of your sale, just because they had the money to start a company and basically get the most profit in a company, thought they don't create the product the service. The average worker vrs. the average CEO is quite a large gap of salary and privilege.