• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cats > Dogs

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Cats eat less.

But their food costs more.

Cats bury their poo, go indoors, and require no help.

Some dogs do this, too.

Cats are cuddlier.

No, they're not.

Cats are cute.

As are dogs.

Cats meow.

Dogs bark.

Cats catch mice.

So do some dogs. Cats are about as likely as dogs to catch mice.

Cats don't smell.

Really? You haven't met some of the cats that I have then.

Cats tuck their little feet underneath them when they sit down.

So do my dogs.

Cats aren't prone to arthritis.

Yes, they are.

Look, it all boils down to what I said before. You can find some cats that are less like your stereotypical cat, and dogs that have a lot in common with your stereotypical cat. The big difference is in general philosophy. Usually you get a cat because it's less work, but less reward. You get a dog because it's more work, but more reward. It just depends on what you want out of your pet. I mean, hell, goldfish don't smell or take much work either, but they don't give you much reward.

And by the way, my dogs have a huge advantage of most cats in that they don't shed at all and they're hypoallergenic.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Then you haven't met the right cats ^_^
My first cat Vash and are cat Mittens are both cat that really like to snuggle ad all most won't live you alone.

No, I've met some cats like this. My friend has a cat that's practically a dog. But the point is that cat is so cool because of how much like a dog it is, not because of how much like a cat it is.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Cat who saved couple from house fire is found - TODAY Pets & Animals - TODAYshow.com

They had a dog too, but it was the cat with a brain that saved them!

Good, now we know there's no significant difference, and the only reason to choose one over the other is what you want out of your pet.

I do hate it when dogs bark and keep me awake (lots of cats in the neighborhood, never had them keep me up), and the smell,

So, you dislike stray cats more than stray dogs is what you're saying.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
....So, you dislike stray cats more than stray dogs is what you're saying.
Not at all, they're not strays, they have homes. I see them, but don't hear them, is the point.

Maybe you're just used to the smell. I can usually tell as soon as I step through the front door whether there's a cat in the house.
That would be the litterbox and not the cat you're smelling, the people should clean it more often.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Not at all, they're not strays, they have homes. I see them, but don't hear them, is the point.

I get the point. I'm saying that dogs as pets are only problems like that due to the owners. So, you have a problem with stray dogs, not dogs as pets.

That would be the litterbox and not the cat you're smelling, the people should clean it more often.

Not necessarily. Cats do have an odor, too.

Dezzie

I've also never heard of a cat saving its owners when the house is on fire.

Pet cat saves owners’ lives as fire tears through house « Deadline Press & Picture Agency

I've had plenty of cats and plenty of dogs too. There were times where I preferred one of my cats to one of the dogs we used to have. Our old dog was extremely hyper and was very... almost minipulative. This dog KNEW what made you mad and did those things to spite you. lol

But anyways... cats and dogs are both decent pets. I like dogs because they are more fun. You can take them out for walks and play frisbee with them... For cats, you sit in your living room with a string. lol One cat I had was awesome. He was so smart. When you picked him up, he would hug you. Literally... he would put his paws on each side of your neck and like... hold on. :) He was so awesome... I miss him though. My Mom had to put him down. :( He was like... 16 years old.

MissAlice

I love all animals but cats are the easiest to take care of in my opinion. If I lived in a more convenient place where financially wasn't so much of an issue, I'd have all of them, dogs and cats.

Speaking of which, I just adopted a third cat a month ago!! She was roaming around my place with no food and horrible injury. The humane society was very great in splitting the cost and care she needed. She's a sweety pie, loves to nuzzle me and sit on my lap or chest whenever she gets the chance. But she's prety bossy with my 2 male kitties.

ARC008-2-1.jpg

Duck

I love all animals but cats are the easiest to take care of in my opinion. If I lived in a more convenient place where financially wasn't so much of an issue, I'd have all of them, dogs and cats.

Speaking of which, I just adopted a third cat a month ago!! She was roaming around my place with no food and horrible injury. The humane society was very great in splitting the cost and care she needed. She's a sweety pie, loves to nuzzle me and sit on my lap or chest whenever she gets the chance. But she's prety bossy with my 2 male kitties.

ARC008-2-1.jpg

She rules the roost and she knows it.

One of my cat psychology books was telling me (in a deep and sultry voice) that domestic cats are usually matrilineal if they live in a colony (pack? pride? herd? what is the term for a group of domestic cats?) and that the lead female with with her daughters/sisters drive off males as they mature. Apparently, if one has neutered the males early they remain more juvenile in the eyes of the matriarch and won't be driven off. Although the matriarch will be pretty bossy. I know that this the case with my two cats (one male one female). Trixie, my little girl, is very bossy to Sparky (my boy). If I gripe at Sparky for something (getting on the counter, etc.) Trixie will come running from the other room and hiss at him and swat him on the head. Sometimes it is pretty comical.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure my dad's cat is kind of stupid. I like to cuddle with it, but it makes me not want to get a cat of my own. My neighbor had a cat that was pretty stupid too.

Certain dogs I've met seem kind of smart. But they require more work, while cats are independent. I wouldn't want to deal with a high maintanence animal.

MissAlice

She rules the roost and she knows it.

One of my cat psychology books was telling me (in a deep and sultry voice) that domestic cats are usually matrilineal if they live in a colony (pack? pride? herd? what is the term for a group of domestic cats?) and that the lead female with with her daughters/sisters drive off males as they mature. Apparently, if one has neutered the males early they remain more juvenile in the eyes of the matriarch and won't be driven off. Although the matriarch will be pretty bossy. I know that this the case with my two cats (one male one female). Trixie, my little girl, is very bossy to Sparky (my boy). If I gripe at Sparky for something (getting on the counter, etc.) Trixie will come running from the other room and hiss at him and swat him on the head. Sometimes it is pretty comical.

Yeah she does rule the roost. Just today one of male cats try to sit next to me on the couch and she got up there and crowded his spot.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I'm pretty sure my dad's cat is kind of stupid. I like to cuddle with it, but it makes me not want to get a cat of my own. My neighbor had a cat that was pretty stupid too.

Certain dogs I've met seem kind of smart. But they require more work, while cats are independent. I wouldn't want to deal with a high maintanence animal.

Two cats I've had were far too smart... they learned how to open doors by turning doorknobs!

Yes, the cat is pretty much maintenance free, especially if you have kids to give the chore of cleaning the litterbox... :D

Yona

Frum Mastah Flex
My cat can open doors, solve complicated mathmatical equations and has killed a shark.

Cats win, this was stated in the first post, this isn't up for debate, lol.

croak

Trickster
My cat can open doors, solve complicated mathmatical equations and has killed a shark.

Would you concede ravens > cats > dogs? (Personally, it's ravens > cats and dogs for me, but but that's just a minor detail.)

.lava

Veteran Member

ARC008-2-1.jpg

that's lovely :) how about their hair? isn't it annoying to clean it all the time?

.lava

Veteran Member

send a photo of that cat who killed a shark, please.

curious about one more thing. how could you compare two completely different creatures? cats can never be like dogs and dogs can never be like cats. none of them could replace the other and therefor both are precious and have unique qualities. i personally do not understand people talk about cats and dogs as if they're talking about football teams. seriously, what does it mean 'cats win'? cats win your heart, sure. i have nothing against it since it is an emotional matter. but, is that what you meant?

Klaufi_Wodensson

Vinlandic Warrior
I've always wanted a wolf-hybrid dog (only because you can't get a pureblood wolf).

What ferocious cat can you breed your cats with? No lions, or tigers. Just cats.

I can have a wolf dog ;)

Dogs win!