• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge for those that believe in billions of years for the age of things. Give anything that is more than 6000 years old. NO ASSUMPTIONS ALLOWED.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That's funny. You do realise that the original texts weren't written in English at all? And that all English versions are therefore riddled with the translator's subjective opinions about the exact way to express the ideas in English. Translation in not an exact science, especially on ancient texts, because every language changes over time anyway.
I do not know where they get it from, but there are sects, and they tend to be rather cultish in their behavior, where they think the KJV is magic. I even knew a guy from another forum who believed that Adam spoke Jacobean English.

SavedByTheLord

That's funny. You do realise that the original texts weren't written in English at all? And that all English versions are therefore riddled with the translator's subjective opinions about the exact way to express the ideas in English. Translation in not an exact science, especially on ancient texts, because every language changes over time anyway.
I do know that the originals were not written in English at all.
But God Almighty can produce His word without error in any language God chooses because He is Almighty.
God got rid of the originals because God does need them.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
But God Almighty can produce His word without error in any language God chooses because He is Almighty.
So, exactly how do you know that the KJV is the one that god intended, and why would god wait more than 1600 years after Jesus to reveal it, baseless blind faith aside?

God got rid of the originals because God does need them.
The earlier versions haven't disappeared, you know...

SavedByTheLord

So, exactly how do you know that the KJV is the one that god intended, and why would god wait more than 1600 years after Jesus to reveal it, baseless blind faith aside?

The earlier versions haven't disappeared, you know...
Simple. It has to be in the world today.
It is easy to disprove a finite set.

ratiocinator

And I can show all have many errors except the King James Bible which has none.
Wow, yet another ambitious assertion. Well you've failed miserably to show anything else you claimed, but hey-ho, let's go for some more laughs, go ahead and do so. No assumptions and no blind faith.

[Not holding my breath]

SavedByTheLord

Wow, yet another ambitious assertion. Well you've failed miserably to show anything else you claimed, but hey-ho, let's go for some more laughs, go ahead and do so. No assumptions and no blind faith.

[Not holding my breath]
in Acts 12:3-4 it says. Almost all versions change Easter to passover in verse 4. But that is impossible. Since its was the dayS (plural) of unleavened bread, passover had already passed. The only versions that have it are the King James Bible.

3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)
4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. - Acts 12:3-4

ratiocinator

in Acts 12:3-4 it says. Almost all versions change Easter to passover in verse 4. But that is impossible. Since its was the dayS (plural) of unleavened bread, passover had already passed. The only versions that have it are the King James Bible.

3 And because he saw it pleased the Jews, he proceeded further to take Peter also. (Then were the days of unleavened bread.)
4 And when he had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people. - Acts 12:3-4
Even if all this is true, it's not nearly good enough to support your bold claim that "I can show all [other versions] have many errors except the King James Bible which has none".

There are two parts to supporting this, without assumptions. First that every single other version that has ever been written, in all of history has at least one error, and, second, that every single word of the KJV is true.

So "Almost all versions..." is getting you nowhere, and you've also made the assumption that any of the versions are true. How do you know that it happened at all?

SavedByTheLord

Even if all this is true, it's not nearly good enough to support your bold claim that "I can show all [other versions] have many errors except the King James Bible which has none".

There are two parts to supporting this, without assumptions. First that every single other version that has ever been written, in all of history has at least one error, and, second, that every single word of the KJV is true.

So "Almost all versions..." is getting you nowhere, and you've also made the assumption that any of the versions are true. How do you know that it happened at all?
There has to a Bible today that is without error because God promised that. So as to every version that has ever existed that is not needed. Obviously the originals were without error as probably were some of the early copies and translations.

ratiocinator

There has to a Bible today that is without error because God promised that.
How do you know? Looks like an other assumption.

So as to every version that has ever existed that is not needed.
It is to back up your original assertion:
There are only a finite number of versions,
And I can show all have many errors except the King James Bible which has none.
Do I detect a moving of the goalposts...?

SavedByTheLord

How do you know? Looks like an other assumption.

It is to back up your original assertion:

Do I detect a moving of the goalposts...?
Christ say “heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away” and also “thy word is truth”
So, the word of God must be in the world today without error.
So, it is easy to see the very many errors which are in all other verions.

SavedByTheLord

How do you know 'Christ' said that? Another assumption? Or, perhaps, because you read it in the most reliable translation of the bible, thus setting yourself up with the mother of all circular arguments (begging the question)?
Christ say “heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away” and also “thy word is truth”
The first phrase is in Matthew, Mark and Luke all translations.
The second phrase is also in all translations .

So, the word of God must be in the world today without error.
So, it is easy to see the very many errors which are in all other versions.

ratiocinator

The first phrase is in Matthew, Mark and Luke all translations.
The second phrase is also in all translations .
So it's begging the question (circular reasoning) by assuming that the bible is true because the bible says it's true, and then added an massive, as yet unsupported, assumption that it's the KJV that is 100% right today. What was the version that was 100% true the day before the KJV version was published? Presumably it didn't magically disappear from the world on that day....

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So it's begging the question (circular reasoning) by assuming that the bible is true because the bible says it's true, and then added an massive, as yet unsupported, assumption that it's the KJV that is 100% right today. What was the version that was 100% true the day before the KJV version was published? Presumably it didn't magically disappear from the world on that day....
Why does an all knowing, all powerful entity need to continuously correct its all encompassing word?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The evidence from multiple different and independent scientific fields, such as evolution, cosmology, physics, astrophysics, astronomy, geology, palaeontology, archaeology, genetics, and statistics. Even some ice cores go back millions of years.
The only people that think the earth is only 6000 years old are religious cultists, who can offer nothing but blind faith, misrepresentation, ignoring obvious evidence, general scientific ignorance, and blatant falsehoods.
No it isn't. It's become pointless giving you the science yet again because you just run away or post nonsense or change the subject.
I appreciated your ^ above ^ observation.
To me, CMBR (cosmic microwave background radiation) could very well give accurate dating because of the accuracy or microwaves.
Besides the Bible's 'creative days' are not meant to be dealing so much with matter or the material, but more about arranging-and-preparing Earth for mankind to inhabit the Earth.
Science is more about how to do it, whereas the Bible's focus is more about how religion/worship should be done, the biblical viewpoint.
The Bible being more about the way to serve God ( morality to be governed by )
So, as one can see bad science is dangerous and so is bad religion dangerous.
It was Not Jesus' job to discuss the age of Earth but leading to discussing the 'age of badness' we now live in - 2nd Timothy 3:1-5,13.
Jesus talked openly about God's kingdom good news (thy kingdom come....) God's government to come - Like 4:43
Jesus will reverse the damage Adam and Eve caused and bring back the original paradisical conditions to Earth - Rev. 22:2
I've read that the richest chapter for promises is Psalm 37 any one want to count how many ________