• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge for Those that believe that the World is more than 1 second old. Prove it! No assumptions allowed!

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes fellow RF-er let's try this. Let's prove, if you can, that the world is more than 1 second old without making assumptions!
For otherwise the world is just 1 second old....is it not??
How long does it take for the light to reach the eyes, sound to reach the ears, and the signal to reach the brain?

I'd say we are hopelessly living in the past!

RestlessSoul

No. You just have a memory that appears to "remember" the second hand in a previous position and you assume that that memory is real.

I’m witnessing the second hand in motion. My experience of the flow of time is not composed of a single discrete instant; if it were, there would be no experience, because the instant, being ever moving, could not be apprehended. I’m not relying on memory, which may be false, because consciousness necessarily stretches to experience the extended moment.

Put another way, the here and now has both temporal and spatial dimensions, allowing the flow of time to be observed.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes fellow RF-er let's try this. Let's prove, if you can, that the world is more than 1 second old without making assumptions!
For otherwise the world is just 1 second old....is it not??
It takes my PC about 5 seconds to boot up.
Here I am, posting on it!

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m witnessing the second hand in motion. My experience of the flow of time is not composed of a single discrete instant; if it were, there would be no experience, because the instant, being ever moving, could not be apprehended. I’m not relying on memory, which may be false, because consciousness necessarily stretches to experience the extended moment.

Put another way, the here and now has both temporal and spatial dimensions, allowing the flow of time to be observed

Put another way, the here and now has both temporal and spatial dimensions, allowing the flow of time to be observed.
Motion is an inferential assumption based on memory and you may have been created 1 second ago only with all that memory in place for you to mistakenly infer motion based on what you see in this 1 second.

RestlessSoul

Motion is an inferential assumption based on memory and you may have been created 1 second ago only with all that memory in place for you to mistakenly infer motion based on what you see in this 1 second.

I don’t think motion is inferred; rather, I maintain it can be directly observed, as directly as any phenomenon can be observed. How can I show this? Through observation, which is the only way anything can be shown to be so.

Absolutely nothing in this world is static, it’s all in flux. Past, present and future flow into each other continuously, and we see this everywhere we look. Look at even a solid rock, and the patterns of reflected light are changing all the time. This restless animation, this unfolding in time, is a defining characteristic of our experience of the world.

Last edited:

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
No because it is all just a simulation, there is no world. It is all just a computer game being played by supreme beings.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Can't be done.

There's no such thing as a conclusion that doesn't rest upon axiomatic assumptions.

That said, axiomatic assumptions are axiomatic for a reason - they are often so self-evident and obvious that it is more than a bit silly to not simply grant them as true for the purposes of life and living. And while the way in which humans measure time is a construct, it is obvious that change (a function of time) occurs on a continuous basis.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Everything that supposedly happened to you before this very moment, is just a memory - including your memory of having experienced the flow of time in the supposed past.

Bottom line is that you are simply assuming that your memories of this are reflective of actual reality.
But they aren't off course, because in reality, everything was created just a second ago. Including your memories. And this post.