• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicken wings advertised as 'boneless' can have bones, Ohio Supreme Court decides

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
He didn't chew his food properly before swallowing. That is what caused this incident. This would never have happened otherwise. His mouth, his problem. I have zero sympathy.

Many medical issues and conditions can cause dysphagia, such as a stroke. Everyone also chokes on their food or drink on occasion, proper chewing or not.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
No that is your simple-minded solution. Not the simplest solution.

Don't forget that you had to be taught by your mother how to swallow. We all still **** it up from time to time.

I was eating "boneless" wings and had a bone lodge 7mm into my gum line as I bit down, requiring a dentist visit. A smaller piece I may not have even noticed and could have choked.
Hmm, are you sure that you were not "eating like a pig". You know Ockham's Razor and all of that.

As I said, I did not feel that much for the man originally but I was ironically shown the error in my ways.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Going to also leave this here:

The fundamental attribution error (also known as correspondence bias or over-attribution effect) is the tendency for people to over-emphasize dispositional or personality-based explanations for behaviors observed in others while under-emphasizing situational explanations.

In other words, people have a cognitive bias to assume that a person’s actions depend on what “kind” of person that person is rather than on the social and environmental forces that influence the person.
Perhaps the saddest example of the tendency to make internal attributions, whether they are warranted or not, is blaming the victim.

If giving someone our sympathy or blaming the true culprit somehow causes us dissonance, we may hold the victim responsible for his or her own pain and suffering. “He had it coming” and “she was asking for it” are all-too-common phrases!

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Seems like a way of weaseling out of taking responsibility for your own human error
No, it isn't. It's called understanding that actual causality is complicated and doesn't ever rest on a single factor. In fact, one of the major things you will learn if you study a lot of psychology at the college level is that the majority of human behavior is explained by environmental or situational factors over individual factors. Our professor called it the 70-30 rule, as loosely, 70% of human behavior is environmental and only 30% of it is personality or individual. We spent a lot of time going over example upon example of this because Americans in particular really, really overestimate how much personality or the individual matters. At no point was this cast as not "taking responsibility" but as actually bothering to understand the real world and its complexity. Hell, if anything, understanding the complexity is about actually taking responsibility appropriately and not piling everything onto one thing. Causality is complicated. Victim blaming is stupid for that reason if no other. Never mind it is utterly heartless and is a diagnostic red flag for anti-social personality disorder.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
No, it isn't. It's called understanding that actual causality is complicated and doesn't ever rest on a single factor. In fact, one of the major things you will learn if you study a lot of psychology at the college level is that the majority of human behavior is explained by environmental or situational factors over individual factors. Our professor called it the 70-30 rule, as loosely, 70% of human behavior is environmental and only 30% of it is personality or individual. We spent a lot of time going over example upon example of this because Americans in particular really, really overestimate how much personality or the individual matters. At no point was this cast as not "taking responsibility" but as actually bothering to understand the real world and its complexity. Hell, if anything, understanding the complexity is about actually taking responsibility appropriately and not piling everything onto one thing. Causality is complicated. Victim blaming is stupid for that reason if no other. Never mind it is utterly heartless and is a diagnostic red flag for anti-social personality disorder.
A big part of being an adult is taking responsibility for what you do and not shifting it on to others

The mentality you have just described is just a glossy way of not taking responsibility for yourself when you **** up

It's not healthy, not honest, not grown up

There are lots of things in my life that I could tenuously blame on society or other individuals but I don't because I am a responsible adult, my mistakes are my mistakes, never mind the 70/30 thing you mentioned

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
A big part of being an adult is taking responsibility for what you do and not shifting it on to others
A big part of being an adult is taking responsibility for what you do and understanding how other factors are also responsible. To not couch oneself in simplistic, black-and-white, either-or thinking when reality is more complicated than that. A surefire way to leave yourself vulnerable to abuse by others is to fail to take into account externalities and put everything on your own shoulders.

The mentality you have just described is just a glossy way of not taking responsibility for yourself when you **** up
No, it isn't. It's called understanding reality is complicated and every situation has many causal variables that play into it. It's called not opening yourself up to becoming a complete doormat because you refuse to accept that how others treat you matters (and by extension, how you treat others matters). It's called not giving abusers and socipaths a free pass. Or a bad living environment a free pass. It's basically called not giving anything a free pass. Not yourself, not others, not your culture, not your environment.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
And 2x4 lumber is actually 1.5" x 3.5".
Common knowledge.
That isn't common knowledge. I only know it because I've done construction work, where this fact is very likely more widely known than it is among the general populace.
It's similar to pitted olives.
Not every single one is without a pit.
Common knowledge.
Again, not common. I don't like olives amd thus this I did not know.
That's the problem with common knowledge. It's not common.
It's unwise to take advertising puffery literally.
Especially to rely upon such when there's danger.
Let's not demand that government make advertising
copy read like legal disclaimers, ie, make the solution
worse than the problem.
We already have laws against false advertising.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner

It's not healthy, not honest, not grown up

There are lots of things in my life that I could tenuously blame on society or other individuals but I don't because I am a responsible adult, my mistakes are my mistakes, never mind the 70/30 thing you mentioned
If you have a reasonable expectation of something, in this case being told the meat your being served is boneless, it is up to the one making the claim. If someone chokes on a bone that is because the reasonable expectations of the product were violated. It's fine to call bull****. Suing everyone including the farmer is wrong, but the customers (including the restaurant) were sold the meat under the assumption they are boneless. Where is it wrong to call this out?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That isn't common knowledge.
Among people who don't do carpentry.
For them, it doesn't matter.

It reminds me of a legal theory I learned in
a law class.....
An old woman sued a dealer because her car
could only go 145 mph, but was advertised to
go 150 mph.
Judge: "What's the fastest you ever drive?"