• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicken wings advertised as 'boneless' can have bones, Ohio Supreme Court decides

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
No, it wasn't. He didn't raise the chicken, slaughter the chicken, create the product, or market the product. Someone else did that.
He didn't chew his food properly before swallowing. That is what caused this incident. This would never have happened otherwise. His mouth, his problem. I have zero sympathy.

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
Basically this situation was no ones fault unless the resturant purposely gave chicken with tons of bones in it. Its a tragedy and im glad the guy survived.
I work as a work health and safety advisor, the purpose is not to lay blame but to identify the hazards and access the risk and then mitigate that risk.

The hazard in this case was the bone, the risk of that of a chocking or internal injury.

Two levels of mitigation are required and eliminating the risk is most desirable.

The first level would be to determine if it is practicable to remove all the bones

The second level is a fail-safe for the first, that is to determine if a bone is present before it is swallowed.

So an incident happened, there has to be a failure in the process, if the bone passed the two levels of mitigation.

There would be other solutions available.

Litigation is an intent to lay blame.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
He didn't chew his food properly before swallowing. That is what caused this incident. This would never have happened otherwise. His mouth, his problem. I have zero sympathy.

I work as a work health and safety advisor, the purpose is not to lay blame but to identify the hazards and access the risk and then mitigate that risk.

The hazard in this case was the bone, the risk of that of a chocking or internal injury.

Two levels of mitigation are required and eliminating the risk is most desirable.

The first level would be to determine if it is practicable to remove all the bones

The second level is a fail-safe for the first, that is to determine if a bone is present before it is swallowed.

So an incident happened, there has to be a failure in the process, if the bone passed the two levels of mitigation.

There would be other solutions available.

Litigation is an intent to lay blame.

Regards Tony
There is more than one cause triggered.

Regards Tony

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm saying I wouldn't blame anyone here. I dont think this was anyone's fault
It might be partially the fault of the "boneless chicken" provider. I have never heard that boneless chicken might have bones in it. The process would, arguably if done properly, remove the bones from the chicken. That seems to be the entire point of it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
When you make that sort of claim you put a burden of proof upon yourself. How are you going to prove that he did not chew properly?

TransmutingSoul

May God's Will be Done
Premium Member
When you make that sort of claim you put a burden of proof upon yourself. How are you going to prove that he did not chew properly?
The court report. "when he felt a bite-size piece of meat go down the wrong way."

A bite size is not masticated food.

Regards Tony

We Never Know

No Slack

The article states "when he felt a bite-size piece of meat go down the wrong way"

Bite-sized food is described as small enough to fit in your mouth whole or the amount taken in a bite.

Bite-sized food should be moderately chewed before swallowing to avoid choking.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
It might be partially the fault of the "boneless chicken" provider. I have never heard that boneless chicken might have bones in it. The process would, arguably if done properly, remove the bones from the chicken. That seems to be the entire point of it.
I've ate a few boneless chicken that pieces got missed. Usually it's a very very small size. I've never had that issue with nuggets however just chicken wings...

I can count on one hand how many times that has happen tho. Ideally it wouldnt get missed but as @TransmutingSoul. Pointed out it can happen even if unintentional.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
The article states "when he felt a bite-size piece of meat go down the wrong way"

Bite-sized food is described as small enough to fit in your mouth whole or the amount taken in a bite.
So it just randomly went "down the wrong way" under its own volition?

Sounds like he was stuffing his face

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I'm going to steer widely clear of so-called "boneless" chicken wings now. Not that it's the sort of thing I would eat anyway - I don't see the point and it struck me as really suspect that you could somehow have boneless chicken wings in the first place - but there was a place I was thinking about trying them from and now I sure as blazes won't be. Natural, bone-in for me, thanks.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've ate a few boneless chicken that pieces got missed. Usually it's a very very small size. I've never had that issue with nuggets however just chicken wings...

I can count on one hand how many times that has happen tho. Ideally it wouldnt get missed but as @TransmutingSoul. Pointed out it can happen even if unintentional.
I would not know because I do not like processed food. I buy my own chicken. Boneless thighs in the supermarket have always been boneless. For one meal I have to debone the thighs myself since I make a teriyaki that calls for boneless skin on thighs. You cannot find that in the supermarket. Otherwise I usually prefer bone in for my cooking since it does add flavor.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That does not effect the truth of the statement
It makes the statement worthless. A logical fallacy is never true nor false. It is a waste of time that does not prove anything. And you seem to have forgotten that the burden of proof was adopted by you by your statements. You have not met that.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
I would not know because I do not like processed food. I buy my own chicken. Boneless thighs in the supermarket have always been boneless. For one meal I have to debone the thighs myself since I make a teriyaki that calls for boneless skin on thighs. You cannot find that in the supermarket. Otherwise I usually prefer bone in for my cooking since it does add flavor.
It was chicken i got from the store that had a bone in it...i think that's only happened twice tho