• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicken wings advertised as 'boneless' can have bones, Ohio Supreme Court decides

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
It makes the statement worthless. A logical fallacy is never true nor false. It is a waste of time that does not prove anything. And you seem to have forgotten that the burden of proof was adopted by you by your statements. You have not met that.
It is self evidently true

The only way a grown man could ever choke on his own food is if he was being a glutton

Gluttony is the only explanation

Therefore he deserves no sympathy

It follows as surely as two follows from one plus one

Last edited:

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
That's happened to me a several times on fish Friday. I am very careful to chew it well to make sure if there is a bone, I find it
I will say anyone can have food go down the wrong pipe and get seriously injured. There's a lot that goes into eating. Folk really underestimate how complex eating is. Most folk are not properly taught how to eat. They just learn how to observing others. Their parents dont teach them how through to chew stuff and other things. It's a learned skill and can be learned improperly. Add in things like a work environment that doesnt allow adequate time to eat or parents that rush you growing up causing you to learn to eat fast once you learn to do that and do so for years feeding therapy may be required to unlearn it.

I dont think it's the guys fault it went down the wrong pipe. Folk are not really designed well. I think everyone has had something go down the wrong pipe even if they tend to eat slow and careful about chewing. Sometimes you just don't pay attention you know? Or you swallow sooner then you intended. It happens. I don't think he should've sued the company however. The mistake likely was nobody's fault. I'd rather not assign blame here. Guy had to go to the ER might couldve died. It would be counterproductive to assign blame or call the guy a pig when no one intended for that to happen and couldve happened to anyone.

We Never Know

No Slack
I will say anyone can have food go down the wrong pipe and get seriously injured. There's a lot that goes into eating. Folk really underestimate how complex eating is. Most folk are not properly taught how to eat. They just learn how to observing others. Their parents dont teach them how through to chew stuff and other things. It's a learned skill and can be learned improperly. Add in things like a work environment that doesnt allow adequate time to eat or parents that rush you growing up causing you to learn to eat fast once you learn to do that and do so for years feeding therapy may be required to unlearn it.

I dont think it's the guys fault it went down the wrong pipe. Folk are not really designed well. I think everyone has had something go down the wrong pipe even if they tend to eat slow and careful about chewing. Sometimes you just don't pay attention you know? Or you swallow sooner then you intended. It happens. I don't think he should've sued the company however. The mistake likely was nobody's fault. I'd rather not assign blame here. Guy had to go to the ER might couldve died. It would be counterproductive to assign blame or call the guy a pig when no one intended for that to happen and couldve happened to anyone.

It wasn't the wrong pipe.

"Berkeimer went to the emergency room, where a doctor discovered a long, thin bone that had torn his esophagus and caused an infection."

VoidCat

It wasn't the wrong pipe.

"Berkeimer went to the emergency room, where a doctor discovered a long, thin bone that had torn his esophagus and caused an infection."
Yeah I read that. I word what i was saying wrong. I mean everyones had food gone down the wrong way. Everyone's has swallowed food weird. Maybe they ain't got injured cuz of it but it does happen.

Michael Berkheimer was dining with his wife and friends at a wing joint in Hamilton, Ohio, and had ordered the usual — boneless wings with parmesan garlic sauce — when he felt a bite-size piece of meat go down the wrong way. Three days later, feverish and unable to keep food down, Berkeimer went to the emergency room, where a doctor discovered a long, thin bone that had torn his esophagus and caused an infection

I quoted it earlier to correct my previous statements about choking. When i first read it i was in a rush and misread. I thought he had choked then when i reread it I quoted earlier to correct myself.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yeah I read that. I word what i was saying wrong. I mean everyones had food gone down the wrong way. Everyone's has swallowed food weird. Maybe they ain't got injured cuz of it but it does happen.

I quoted it earlier to correct my previous statements about choking.

Yep. Hell I'm getting old. Sometimes I get choked on my own saliva, aka spit going down the wrong pipe lol.

Let me tell you when that happens, its a fight to breath for a bit

VoidCat

Yep. Hell I'm getting old. Sometimes I get choked on my own saliva, aka spit lol.

Let me tell you when that happens, its a fight to breath for a bit
Yep. Dysphagia is very common in older folk. I've had that happen to me tho where I drink water too fast and end up coughing. Im not even old im very young 22. Im certain thats happened to everyone. Again i dont think the guy shouldve sued. But the guy couldve died. Im not going to blame him when anyone couldve had that happen to them.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yep. Dysphagia is very common in older folk. I've had that happen to me tho where I drink water too fast and end up coughing. Im not even old im very young 22. Im certain thats happened to everyone. Again i dont think the guy shouldve sued. But the guy couldve died. Im not going to blame him when anyone couldve had that happen to them.
It was an unfortunate accident. No fault on anyone IMO.

However carelessness eating could have played a part but that is unknown.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It is self evidently true

The only way a grown man could ever choke on his own food is if he was being a glutton

Gluttony is the only explanation

Therefore he deserves no sympathy

It follows as surely as two follows from one plus one
And another logical fallacy and another fail. An argument from ignorance this time. Just because you cannot think of a cause of choking besides that does not mean that has to be the cause. Now you sound like creationists who have no way to understand how to test the theory of evolution so they claim that it cannot be tested.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
And another logical fallacy and another fail. An argument from ignorance this time. Just because you cannot think of a cause of choking besides that does not mean that has to be the cause. Now you sound like creationists who have no way to understand how to test the theory of evolution so they claim that it cannot be tested.
None of that makes what I say untrue

It is possible to be correct about something for all the wrong reasons

It is a plausible and legitimate hypothesis

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
None of that makes what I say untrue

It is possible to be correct about something for all the wrong reasons

It is a plausible and legitimate hypothesis
LOL! The point is going over your head. You made statements that required evidentiary support. All that you could do was to make poor arguments for them. Twice. That means that since you refuse to support them that one is perfectly justified by dismissing them as nonsense.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
LOL! The point is going over your head. You made statements that required evidentiary support. All that you could do was to make poor arguments for them. Twice. That means that since you refuse to support them that one is perfectly justified by dismissing them as nonsense.
So you're saying that it is not reasonable to behave as though the guy in question almost choked to death because he was being a pig?????

Sounds like the most likely of explanations to me, sounds like what someone applying Ockham's razor would come up with

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So you're saying that it is not reasonable to behave as though the guy in question almost choked to death because he was being a pig?????

Sounds like the most likely of explanations to me, sounds like what someone applying Ockham's razor would come up with
Yes, because you do not know that. You can only show that you have jumped to conclusions based upon insufficient evidence. Please say off of juries if at all possible.

And no, you do not know how to use Ockham's Razor appropriately either.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
Yes, because you do not know that. You can only show that you have jumped to conclusions based upon insufficient evidence. Please say off of juries if at all possible.

And no, you do not know how to use Ockham's Razor appropriately either.
So the food decided to slip down his throat on its own volition?

Or did a little red demon with wings guide it down his throat using dark magic?

People need to take responsibility for themselves

The simplest explanation is the best.... him being a pig is the simplest explanation....

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
So the food decided to slip down his throat on its own volition?

Or did a little red demon with wings guide it down his throat using dark magic?

People need to take responsibility for themselves

The simplest explanation is the best.... him being a pig is the simplest explanation....
When you can be serious perhaps we can have a discussion.

The Hammer

Skald
Premium Member
No that is your simple-minded solution. Not the simplest solution.

Don't forget that you had to be taught by your mother how to swallow. We all still **** it up from time to time.

I was eating "boneless" wings and had a bone lodge 7mm into my gum line as I bit down, requiring a dentist visit. A smaller piece I may not have even noticed and could have choked.