• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicken wings advertised as 'boneless' can have bones, Ohio Supreme Court decides

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/they/it/neopronouns
In some ways I did not have a lot of compassion for an adult that ate "boneless chicken wings" so fast the he choked on a bone. But as pointed out children are at risk to when food is improperly prepared and served. I could see a mother with a young child that did not know better and choked on a favorite food when it had an unexpected impurity. The court may have screwed up this time.

@Eddi
Im not thinking a healthy adult choking on a bone. But perhaps a disabled one might? I dont know much about disabilities with feeding issues but i do know two kids with feeding tubes and it's a lot more complicated eating is then folk think. One wasn't able to swallow thin liquids but could eat solids. The other was able to swallow thin liquids and eat some solids but could not chew well.

Im no doctor but perhaps a disabled adult might struggle with controlling the speed of how much they eat due to disability? Like their muscles may be odd in eating so they have to eat fast and thry can't chew well? Like one resident here at the group home is intellectually disabled and has celebral palsy, and eats fast. I eat fast because I was never taught to eat slow due to growing up with some trauma issues. If i were to slow my eating down ill likely need feeding therapy to learn how to do so. Staff here get mad at me cuz of how fast I eat but i legit struggle with it. I do not know how to slow down. Legit health issues there.

VoidCat

@Eddi
I dont think folk realize how much goes into eating and chewing. All the muscles and little movements involved. And many folk could benefit from feeding therapy and cant afford it. One issue is a lot of folk here in the US have to eat quickly. Else their boss gets onto them and such for taking too long a break. I learned to eat quickly due to trauma I won't get into here.

Once you learn that skill of eating fast and it becomes habit the only way to fix that might be feeding therapy for some people. Myself included and I cannot afford feeding therapy.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
@Eddi
Im not thinking a healthy adult choking on a bone. But perhaps a disabled one might? I dont know much about disabilities with feeding issues but i do know two kids with feeding tubes and it's a lot more complicated eating is then folk think. One wasn't able to swallow thin liquids but could eat solids. The other was able to swallow thin liquids and eat some solids but could not chew well.

Im no doctor but perhaps a disabled adult might struggle with controlling the speed of how much they eat due to disability? Like their muscles may be odd in eating so they have to eat fast and thry can't chew well? Like one resident here at the group home is intellectually disabled and has celebral palsy, and eats fast. I eat fast because I was never taught to eat slow due to growing up with some trauma issues. If i were to slow my eating down ill likely need feeding therapy to learn how to do so. Staff here get mad at me cuz of how fast I eat but i legit struggle with it. I do not know how to slow down. Legit health issues there.
If they were disabled then that would be different

But the guy in question was just being a pig

The whole world does not and should not revolve around such people, in my mind he got what was coming to him

VoidCat

If they were disabled then that would be different

But the guy in question was just being a pig

The whole world does not and should not revolve around such people, in my mind he got what was coming to him
See this post
@Eddi
I dont think folk realize how much goes into eating and chewing. All the muscles and little movements involved. And many folk could benefit from feeding therapy and cant afford it. One issue is a lot of folk here in the US have to eat quickly. Else their boss gets onto them and such for taking too long a break. I learned to eat quickly due to trauma I won't get into here.

Once you learn that skill of eating fast and it becomes habit the only way to fix that might be feeding therapy for some people. Myself included and I cannot afford feeding therapy.
Also is it mentioned if he has a disability or not?

Do you know if he chose boneless chicken or not for disability purposes? Or maybe he knew he struggled with eating slow even if not disabled so he chose that? Even with eating slow you still can choke by the way.

VoidCat

, in my mind he got what was coming to him
I also will like to point out...this is wishing death on someone. Choking can kill a person. Do you really think this guy should die by choking because he was a pig in your mind?

I hope you never choke. Its traumatic even without dying from it.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
See this post

Also is it mentioned if he has a disability or not?

Do you know if he chose boneless chicken or not for disability purposes? Or maybe he knew he struggled with eating slow even if not disabled so he chose that? Even with eating slow you still can choke by the way.
I think this is yet another example of "poor little me" culture

Which I am sick of

I was raised to chew my food properly some people have obviously been brought up feral, I mean eating skills are pretty fundamental

If this person had genuine special needs then things would be different I am sure that would have been mentioned

Unless you are disabled then as soon as it enters your mouth it becomes your responsibility

That's how I see it

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I also will like to point out...this is wishing death on someone. Choking can kill a person. Do you really think this guy should die by choking because he was a pig in your mind?

I hope you never choke. Its traumatic even without dying from it.
I wasn't "wishing death" on him

He didn't even die

And I am sure he will not make that same mistake again!!

He has learnt the hard way

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
@Eddi
Even eating slow someone can choke. I hope you never do and someone says what you are saying to you
Yes, and the responsibility for that lies with the one who chokes

It is their problem and their problem alone

VoidCat

Yes, and the responsibility for that lies with the one who chokes

It is their problem and their problem alone
I think...the responsibility relies not on the person that choked. It happens. People choke. If it was solely their responsibility we wouldnt have life saving methods like the Heimlich maneuver. I personally would try to help the person if they were choking. With that attitude I'd be calling you a pig and letting you die.

Also a place that sells boneless chicken should sell boneless chicken. I mean it's literally in the name.

Edit: @Eddi assigning responsibility is often anti productive when someone is dying. Sometimes it's on a company. In this case i dont think the resturant is at fault for the person choking. No one is. But they still should be serving boneless wings if that's what they serving.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
I think...the responsibility relies not on the person that choked. It happens. People choke. If it was solely their responsibility we wouldnt have life saving methods like the Heimlich maneuver. I personally would try to help the person if they were choking. With that attitude I'd be calling you a pig and letting you die.

Also a place that sells boneless chicken should sell boneless chicken. I mean it's literally in the name.
I wasn't suggesting that those who choke should be denied the Heimlich maneuver

However a person choking is the only one to blame for they themselves choking

And it is possible to choke on boneless food too

And now that court ruling is public the people in that jurisdiction now know

VoidCat

I wasn't suggesting that those who choke should be denied the Heimlich maneuver

However a person choking is the only one to blame for they themselves choking

And it is possible to choke on boneless food too

And now that court ruling the people in that jurisdiction now know
See my edit.

Again...i dont think its on the person choking. Its not like they asked to almost die. I also dont think it's on the company here. Im just taking issue with your attitude that it's a person's fault for choking.

Realistically I dont think a company can be certain all the time that there's no bones in chicken. Things slip through the cracks. But a person choking is not a pig for choking and we should not blame a person for almost dying. The resturant should sale boneless wings but it's understandable if bones slip through the cracks.

Eddi

Believer in God
Premium Member
we should not blame a person for almost dying.
And that person should take responsibility for what goes on inside their own mouth
Im just taking issue with your attitude that it's a person's fault for choking.
Of course it's their fault

It is reasonable to expect people to know how to eat properly, bones or no bones

I am sick of how I today's world everyone is a poor little innocent victim and bad things are everyone else's fault

Their mouth = their responsibility

VoidCat

And that person should take responsibility for what goes on inside their own mouth

Of course it's their fault

It is reasonable to expect people to know how to eat properly, bones or no bones

I am sick of how I today's world everyone is a poor little innocent victim and bad things are everyone else's fault

Their mouth = their responsibility
Sighs. Go ahead with that attitude. When you old and possibly showing signs of dysphagia and choke due to it hopefully no one calls you a pig and blame you for almost dying despite being careful eating.

People are flawed beings. I'd rather not blame someone for almost dying because they may have missed chewed or for other reasons.

anotherneil

I find it quite amusing to see some members on this forum try to use a boneless red herring to change the topic from being about false advertising to how someone should've behaved when they were eating.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Sighs. Go ahead with that attitude. When you old and possibly showing signs of dysphagia and choke due to it hopefully no one calls you a pig and blame you for almost dying despite being careful eating.

People are flawed beings. I'd rather not blame someone for almost dying because they may have missed chewed or for other reasons.
Actually his points convinced me that I was wrong about judging the man harshly without knowing enough about him.

VoidCat

I find it quite amusing to see some members on this forum try to use a boneless red herring to change the topic from being about false advertising to how someone should've behaved when they were eating.
I find it horrendous someone would blame someone for almost dying like it isn't common for food to go down the wrong pipe and such.