• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: The Need for a Fresh Word from God

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date
A

angellous_evangellous

I'm currently in the third year of a phd program in New Testament, and my 11th year of study. The more I review and study the New Testament, the more I believe that it is completely and utterly insane to apply it with authority to the church today.

The New Testament is set firmly and completely in a social context that is misogynic, ethnocentric, and philosophically backward. I don't mean to argue that the present popular philosophy Western life - that there is no need for God due to existentialist realivism - is superior, but philosophy and social changes from the Enlightenment are significant progress from the blantant stupidity of Aristotle and Plato that birthed and nurished Christian theology.

I'm quite sure that if Arisotle and Plato had known about the scientific progresses made in the Enlightenment that Christianity would be much more friendly to women and homosexuals, and possibly Christianity would have had the forsight to condemn slavery and pederasty as early as the writing of the New Testament.

Anyway, the New Testament profoundly loses its worth when the presuppositions of Greek philosophy are removed, and indeed the later Christian theologies which wholesale reproduced Greek ideals are outdated and mute to contemporary issues.

It is time for a new word from God, and Christians should beg God to send modern prophets to speak fresh words of redemption and grace.

SoyLeche

meh...
I'm currently in the third year of a phd program in New Testament, and my 11th year of study. The more I review and study the New Testament, the more I believe that it is completely and utterly insane to apply it with authority to the church today.

The New Testament is set firmly and completely in a social context that is misogynic, ethnocentric, and philosophically backward. I don't mean to argue that the present popular philosophy Western life - that there is no need for God due to existentialist realivism - is superior, but philosophy and social changes from the Enlightenment are significant progress from the blantant stupidity of Aristotle and Plato that birthed and nurished Christian theology.

I'm quite sure that if Arisotle and Plato had known about the scientific progresses made in the Enlightenment that Christianity would be much more friendly to women and homosexuals, and possibly Christianity would have had the forsight to condemn slavery and pederasty as early as the writing of the New Testament.

Anyway, the New Testament profoundly loses its worth when the presuppositions of Greek philosophy are removed, and indeed the later Christian theologies which wholesale reproduced Greek ideals are outdated and mute to contemporary issues.

It is time for a new word from God, and Christians should beg God to send modern prophets to speak fresh words of redemption and grace.
Done and done :D

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
We've lost him, we've completely lost him. :(

I'm sure there is a nice smiley cult out there that will suit your demands.

A

angellous_evangellous

Done and done :D

I had no idea that the OP would appeal to Mormons. Of this I am completely innocent.

By the way, I don't mean to be hostile in the least, but I don't think that Mormonism escapes Plato in the slightest. Unless there is a complete revision of LDS thought, it will remain Neo-Platonic for the forseeable future.

A

angellous_evangellous

We've lost him, we've completely lost him. :(

I am teaching your seminarians, so turn that frown up-side down!

I'm sure there is a nice smiley cult out there that will suit your demands.

I'd imagine that the group who receives fresh words from God would be delighted.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Very largely I would agree with you.
Cultural and traditional thought are intricately bound into the New Testament.
How ever the teachings of Jesus, such as exist uncontaminated, still have real meaning.
When you remove the "Presuppositions" as you suggest... what is left is a simplified and more believable form of Christianity.

As for the need for newer revelations... why not... and do we already have some of them.
and are they them selves already contaminated by our culture.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Excuse my ignorance but, were first century Jews highly influenced by Greek philosophy or was just the language spoken?
Yes, yes....! If there is a God, why should every generation not have a prophet sent to do his work?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The New Testament is set firmly and completely in a social context that is misogynic, ethnocentric, and philosophically backward.
Ain't that the truth?

When I first became a Christian, I had an intense dislike for "Red Letter Edition" Bibles. I felt that all scripture should be taken at face value. Then, reading things like a woman covering her head as well as all of the wars in the OT, I came to a conclusion. Scriptures are a BLOG of man looking for God. That was especially true about the OT, but what about the NT. Yeppers.

So I began to look at JUST the words of Jesus. That's when I started to see the real Gospel: Love God and Love everyone else. So, as the OT and NT agree with those two laws, I am just fine. As soon as I see laws or other weirdness, I keep on looking for the real truth.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Ain't that the truth?
So I began to look at JUST the words of Jesus. That's when I started to see the real Gospel: Love God and Love everyone else. So, as the OT and NT agree with those two laws, I am just fine. As soon as I see laws or other weirdness, I keep on looking for the real truth.

Can't give you more frubals at the moment.:)
But you are right on track... on the same line as me.

Terry

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
For me, this was incredibly LIBERATING. I was able to stop being so stinking legalistic and was finally able to concentrate on loving others.

blackout

Violet.

I am SOOOOO with that!
I LOVE the details of the recorded life and teachings of Y'shua!
Rich and deep and sitting there to be "seen" and understood
by eyes without scales.

He came to SHOW US the Kingdom of God IN THE MIDST OF US!
Now. Within. All the stuff in between the Gospels and Revelation may as well not even exist for me.

The OT is full of the most WONDERFUL allegories.
How much of it has "literal" historical merit I do not know,
and do not care.

The esoteric meanings I find "hidden" there....
stand WONDERFULLY enough on their own for me.

I think the whole mainstream christian church thing is so utterly out of whack
regarding WHO Y'shua REALLY WAS....
as to be something entirely different. a whole different gospel.

Just my perspective.

blackout

Violet.
For me, this was incredibly LIBERATING. I was able to stop being so stinking legalistic and was finally able to concentrate on loving others.

Yes ... loving others.... and LIVING ... touching the world out of a place of supernatural active faith. just as Y'shua did.

Is the christian call not to live as Jesus?

I had no idea what that meant till I stopped listening to the "churches"...
and the interpretations of other men....
and began seeking truth deep within....

It was amazing what happened to my world,
and my whole experience of life.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Sheesh Daddy, I am trying my best. Give a guy a break, eh. Anyways, it's not really my "job" where I am only here as a part of a global "advance team". The main event will arrive fairly soon.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

God's modern day prophets have been here on the earth and speaking fresh words for the world to hear for the past 177 years.

If you would like to hear the Prophet of God speak to the earth, listen the the LDS worldwide General Conference online October 6th and 7th here: October 2007 General Conference

Also you are free to watch previous broadcasts online.

God's prophets are here and speaking... are you listening? :)

PS. I would be interested to hear why you believe LDS theology to be neo-platonic but that is probably best suited for another thread. My undergrad was philosophy so I think I could at least follow what you are talking about.

A

angellous_evangellous

Excuse my ignorance but, were first century Jews highly influenced by Greek philosophy or was just the language spoken?

Of course. Philo and Josephus were Hellenized Jews and wrote quite a bit. Christians were much more Greek than Jews.