• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: The Need for a Fresh Word from God

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

athanasius

What about the Christian need for a fresh batch of French fries? Isn't that more important biblically.

"Thou shall have communion with Fresh Fries only and if any one does not he is a abomination to the Lord".-----(3rd Matthew 3:13)

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
Hebrews 1 tells that he won't because he doesn't need to.

No, Hebrews 1 tells us that God spoke through His son Jesus Christ while Christ was on the earth. I missed the part where it says "never again will God have any prophets on the earth."

God will not only have prophets but he won't do anything without first alerting them:

Amos 3:7
7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Jesus will not return to the earth until there has been a restoration of all things including having prophets on the earth:

Acts 3:20-24
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
23 And it shall come to pass, [that] every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.

God's church will have prophets:

1 Cor 12:27-28
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

The church of God is built upon the foundation of Apostles and Prophets:

Eph 2:20
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];

There were prophets in the church after Christ's death:

Eph 3:5
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

athanasius

No, Hebrews 1 tells us that God spoke through His son Jesus Christ while Christ was on the earth. I missed the part where it says "never again will God have any prophets on the earth."

God will not only have prophets but he won't do anything without first alerting them:

Amos 3:7
7 Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets.

Jesus will not return to the earth until there has been a restoration of all things including having prophets on the earth:

Acts 3:20-24
20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
21 Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.
22 For Moses truly said unto the fathers, A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up unto you of your brethren, like unto me; him shall ye hear in all things whatsoever he shall say unto you.
23 And it shall come to pass, [that] every soul, which will not hear that prophet, shall be destroyed from among the people.
24 Yea, and all the prophets from Samuel and those that follow after, as many as have spoken, have likewise foretold of these days.

God's church will have prophets:

1 Cor 12:27-28
27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.
28 And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

The church of God is built upon the foundation of Apostles and Prophets:

Eph 2:20
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner [stone];

There were prophets in the church after Christ's death:

Eph 3:5
5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

Sorry Comprehend but you have it backwards. French fries are more important, Just look at 3rd Matthew 3:13

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
No, Hebrews 1 tells us that God spoke through His son Jesus Christ while Christ was on the earth.

Hebrews 1:1 In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, NIV

That's good enough for me. Prophets were in the past, and Jesus is NOW. It's why we have the Spirit and why we don't need no steenkeeng prophets! :D

I Corinthians 2:9 However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"— 10 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:
16 "For who has known the mind of the Lord
that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
NIV

athanasius

Hebrews 1:1 In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, NIV

That's good enough for me. Prophets were in the past, and Jesus is NOW. It's why we have the Spirit and why we don't need no steenkeeng prophets! :D

"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"— 10 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.
The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man's spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God except the Spirit of God. 12 We have not received the spirit of the world but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. 13 This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 15 The spiritual man makes judgments about all things, but he himself is not subject to any man's judgment:
that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.
NIV

Scuba Peter your absolutely out of line!!!!! In 4th Corintians 5:17 it says

"Bretheren let us know that the Lord tell us that we need and have steenkeeng prophets today!"---4th Corinthians 5:17:rainbow1:

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
that he may instruct him?" But we have the mind of Christ.NIV

Surprisingly enough, we disagree... :eek:

lunamoth

Will to love
I don't remember discussing it before but I believe you.

It seems to me that bible only folks would be a subset of MSC's. They both accept the trinity so I don't see why not. Do you disagree?

comprehend said:
Originally Posted by YmirGF
Since it is an unsupportable claim I'd say the chances are unlikely Ms. Kitty.

Since when has impossibility slowed down main-stream christians? :angel2:

So, you this impossibility is shared by and limited to "MSCs"?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So, you this impossibility is shared by and limited to "MSCs"?
To me, MSC, in this context is meant to describe Catholics (Roman and Eastern) and all Protestants. I see "mainstream" as more or less synonymous with "traditional."

lunamoth

Will to love
To me, MSC, in this context is meant to describe Catholics (Roman and Eastern) and all Protestants. I see "mainstream" as more or less synonymous with "traditional."

So all "MSCs" are Bible-only in your opinion, and they also are all just as prone to arguing the impossible as Vassal.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
So all "MSCs" are Bible-only in your opinion, and they also are all just as prone to arguing the impossible as Vassal.
No, I definitely don't think they're all "Bible-only." As you know, Catholicism relies heavily on holy tradition. But since the Catholic Church declared the canon to be officially closed (can't remember the year, sorry), it would be pretty unlikely for any Catholic or Protestant to be open to the idea of a new prophet in this day and age.

lunamoth

Will to love
No, I definitely don't think they're all "Bible-only." As you know, Catholicism relies heavily on holy tradition. But since the Catholic Church declared the canon to be officially closed (can't remember the year, sorry), it would be pretty unlikely for any Catholic or Protestant to be open to the idea of a new prophet in this day and age.

If that is what comprehend was referring to then he was not very clear. His post said
"Since when has impossibility slowed down main-stream christians? " in response to your request that he (Vassal) back up his claim using the Bible only.

Sorry Katz, but you don't like being lumped in with all the different flavors of Mormons out there...I'm objecting to pretty much a similar usage of "MSC" by Comprehend.

Vassal

If that is what comprehend was referring to then he was not very clear. His post said
"Since when has impossibility slowed down main-stream christians? " in response to your request that he (Vassal) back up his claim using the Bible only.
If the Bible isn't the only thing needed for a Christian, then what exactly is it missing?

lunamoth

Will to love
Erm... what? What exactly are you referring to?

Sorry for the confusion Vassal...this is not directed at you. It is a side discussion about comments made by Katz and Comprehend in response to your assertion that the end of prophecy can be found in the Bible alone.