• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christian: The Need for a Fresh Word from God

• Thread starter angellous_evangellous
  • Start date

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
doppelgänger;949236 said:
No. "Prophets" are in the eye of the beholder. I don't get much out of LDS theology, cosmology or doctrine, personally. I don't subscribe to the "this is a prophet and that isn't a prophet" approach anyway. Everyone says some things that I'll find "prophetic" and other things I won't find "prophetic." And sometimes the things I think are prophetic now, I won't find prophetic at some other time, and vice versa.

Ok. I think I understand your view.

But, specifically addressing AE's dismissal of our church because we are neoplatonists, I have yet to see any negative connection to Plato or his followers and I still do not understand how the label allows us to be dismissed as a possibility of providing exactly what AE has requested in the OP.

I am certainly not asking you to accept our prophets. I am only trying to understand how we could be so easily dismissed with a label that so far seems not to fit.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The Bible contains everything that is needed for salvation and living a life of approval from God, there is nothing else that can be said that can add to or subtract from Christianity without conflicting with the Bible.
Obviously, you intend to provide something from the Bible that supports this claim. :rolleyes:

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur
I think you are confused about mainstream Christian denominations Comprehend. Bible-only Christians are not 'mainstream.'

I thought almost all Christians believed the Bible was the only scripture... what would make them not mainstream?

lunamoth

Will to love
They aren't??? :eek: Was I in a cult that whole time? :p

Mainstream Christianity is a widely used[105] term, used to refer to collectively to the common views of major denominations of Christianity (such as Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, Anglicanism, Orthodox Christianity) as against the particular tenets of other sects or Christian denomination. The context is dependent on the particular issues addressed, but usually contrasts the orthodox majority view against heterodox minority views. In the most common sense, "mainstream" refers to Nicene Christianity, or rather the traditions which continue to claim adherence to the Nicene Creed.[106][107]

Some Mainstream Christians may be Bible-only, but not all of them are. I don't think Catholics would consider themselves Bible-only.

And I would not say that any non-mainstream denomination is a cult, either.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Mainstream Christianity is a widely used[105] term, used to refer to collectively to the common views of major denominations of Christianity (such as Roman Catholicism, Protestantism, Anglicanism, Orthodox Christianity) as against the particular tenets of other sects or Christian denomination. The context is dependent on the particular issues addressed, but usually contrasts the orthodox majority view against heterodox minority views. In the most common sense, "mainstream" refers to Nicene Christianity, or rather the traditions which continue to claim adherence to the Nicene Creed.[106][107]

Some Mainstream Christians may be Bible-only, but not all of them are. I don't think Catholics would consider themselves Bible-only.
Ahh, well in my humble opinion that definition above is out dated and needs a bit of tweaking to come up to contemporary American life views. But, what do I know. :shrug:
It was a joke, luna.....:D

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

but you are saying that vassal isn't a MSC, does he not adhere to the nicene creed?

lunamoth

Will to love
but you are saying that vassal isn't a MSC, does he not adhere to the nicene creed?
I have no idea how Vassal would label himself, but the point was about Bible-only beliefs. MSC (as you like to abbreviate it) is not interchangeable with Bible-only faith, yet you seem to use it this way quite often. I believe we've even discussed this before.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I have no idea how Vassal would label himself, but the point was about Bible-only beliefs. MSC (as you like to abbreviate it) is not interchangeable with Bible-only faith, yet you seem to use it this way quite often. I believe we've even discussed this before.
I have always seen Bible only Christians as a small town American phenomenon... that has gained adherents elsewhere.
it is certainly not mainstream here.

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
My intelligence is certainly no match to yours, AE. In truth, much of what you post goes over my shallow head...

But my belief is pretty simple. Life is complicated and scripture often gives me a migraine but I do believe that the overall message is fairly simply. It's all about Christ. Love.

I don't think my brain could handle the teachings of another prophet. It's more edifying for me to latch onto the hope that the seed planted inside of me when I became a Christian will continue to produce sprouts.

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

I don't remember discussing it before but I believe you.

It seems to me that bible only folks would be a subset of MSC's. They both accept the trinity so I don't see why not. Do you disagree?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Hebrews 1 tells that he won't because he doesn't need to.
Interesting perspective. I don't interpret it that way at all. The fact that God sent His own Son after previously communicating to His children only through prophets is certainly not reason to suggest that He never intended to speak through prophets again. Jesus Christ even called prophets Himself. Why would He have done that if He didn't intend to continue to communicate with them after His death? And in Amos, we read that God will do nothing without first communicating to us through His servants, the prophets. There is nothing in the Bible -- nothing at all -- that would imply that God's decided to clam up.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
My point exactly. Most Chrisitans are convinced that God doesn't need prophets or additional scripture, so they would reject any new scripture or prophets immediately.
Yeppers! Then there is Galatians the first chapter to seal the deal for me.