• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Christo-Paganism: What's the hap?

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
Hey, guys! As a returning eclectic Pagan (and new Christo-Pagan), I've been looking into this path for a while now, and I am hearing so many different people's opinions, both Christians and Pagans, on it. So, being the ever-curious guy I am, I have to know, what are your thoughts on Christo-Paganism, Christian Wicca, Christian Druidry, etc.? All responses from Christians and Pagans will be accepted! Blessed Be! )0(

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
Hey, guys! As a returning eclectic Pagan (and new Christo-Pagan), I've been looking into this path for a while now, and I am hearing so many different people's opinions, both Christians and Pagans, on it. So, being the ever-curious guy I am, I have to know, what are your thoughts on Christo-Paganism, Christian Wicca, Christian Druidry, etc.? All responses from Christians and Pagans will be accepted! Blessed Be! )0(

I see no problem with it, - as I see the Pagan in the religions of Abraham.

Though I'm going to guess mainstream Christians will have a fit with "Pagan" attached. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I disagree with christianity and paganism mix. I guess its possible. Christianity has paganism in it (Roman).

Wicca and christianity, no. Wiccans believe in the God and Godess. Abrahamics say there is only One God. Pagans (traditional) believe in multiple deities.

Maybe a neopagan and christian? Lay off the magic and celebrate the seasons and moon phases as God's creation? Worship Him "through" His creation not the creation itself?

(Above) You can do these things as a christian and still hold the term pagan.

I guess the title is fine. It just sends confusing signals to both parties.

HekaMa'atRa

Well Christianity is the most Pagan-esq monotheistic faith with the Trinity and all - so yeah, I can see it working.

Wicca and christianity, no. Wiccans believe in the God and Godess. Abrahamics say there is only One God. Pagans (traditional) believe in multiple deities.

It could still work. There are female elements in the Abrahamic faiths that people tend to forget and whom can be venerated/incorporated into worship. Such as,

Asherah - the original ancient-Hebrew mother goddess.
Sophia - the female concept/goddess of wisdom adopted from Hellenic religion later adopted by some Christian sects to represent an aspect of god.
Mary - Jesus' mother.
Lilith - Adam's original wife.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
They're syncretic religions. What more is there to say? As with any syncretic religion, they are not either of their component elements. Much of the ire and confusion arises from thinking otherwise, which is not what syncretism is about.

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Read the Bible and then try to be a Pagan and a Christian at the same time. It doesn't work. You'd have to do some serious doctrinal bending to arrive at a Christo-Pagan mix.

orthodox Christian tenets:

- One God existing in three persons, one essence (homoousia)
- "Little children, guard yourself from idols." - 1 John 5:21
- Worship the Creator not the creation.
- Affirm the Shema.
- Do not eat food offered to idols (Acts 15:20)

The Christians were persecuted for over 200 years by the Pagan Romans, because the Romans considered them Atheists. Did the Christians just turn around and say "Let's make a pact and mix our faiths together"? No! They were thrown to wild beasts, beheaded, scourged and murdered!

Any serious Christian would not accept you as his brother in Christ.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If a Pagan wants to worship Jesus as another deity in their pantheon, I'd say it's OK. It's still Paganism but it's no longer Christianity.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Christo Pagan is like saying Vegetarian Meat Eater.

No, actually, it's like saying omnivore. As I said, the important thing to understand about syncretic religions is that they are
neither of their component elements. They are something else entirely. Christo-Paganism is not Christianity, and it is not Paganism - it's Christo-Paganism.

No, actually, it's like saying omnivore. As I said, the important thing to understand about syncretic religions is that they are neither of their component elements. They are something else entirely. Christo-Paganism is not Christianity, and it is not Paganism - it's Christo-Paganism.

I found this.

"Christo-Pagan Information
What is this term, Christo-Pagan or Christian-Pagan? Isn't it a contradiction? Well, the truth is: your ancestors were probably Christo-Pagans. In Europe the historical Dual Faith period lasted from approximately 450 AD to 1100 AD, some say it began with Christianity itself. Indeed, Christianity has undeniable pagan roots. During the Dual Faith period our European ancestors were able to practice both their "pagan" ancestral religions and the "New Religion" coming up from Rome. In many ways we still practice both as Easter Eggs, Halloween and Christmas trees prove. Tolerance of this Dual Faith practice existed in various degrees, depending on one's country. France was the first to get pretty nasty toward anyone trying to hang onto both faiths, while Scandinavia held onto its paganism (more accurately called heathenism there) the longest of all."

Notice it says,"Christianity has undeniable pagan roots." and "During the Dual Faith period our European ancestors were able to practice both their "pagan" ancestral religions and the "New Religion" coming up from Rome. In many ways we still practice both as Easter Eggs, Halloween and Christmas trees prove."

Christo-Pagan Info & the Christian Goddess

So,according to this,they feel that Christianity has pagan roots.This is incorrect.True Christianity does not have pagan roots.There is Christendom,which is different.True Christianity is what theJesus preached to the first century Christians.Christendom is the man made beliefs and traditions of men that have spawned over the centuries due to many different understandings.It is true though that paganism crept into Christendom.You can see this by the giant crosses and idols they use in worship.Even the popes hat is the old fashioned Babylonian fish mouth style open top.The Obelisk that sits in St.Peters square represents the male penis of Osiris and is a sun worship tool.It was brought from Egypt.

Brought to Alexandria with another obelisk by Constantius II, and brought on its own from there to Rome in 357 to decorate the spina of the Circus Maximus.map Found in three pieces in 1587, restored approximately 4 m shorter by Pope Sixtus V, and erected near the Lateran Palace and basilica of San Giovanni in Laterano in 1588 in the place of the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, which was moved to the Capitoline Hill.

List of obelisks in Rome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, we can clearly see that the Vatican has a pagan symbol that is used by pagans in sun worship.Why would an organization that claims to represent God use such a thing? That is because it does not represent the true Christianity that Jesus Christ taught.

Also,Those who followed Christ never used idols in worship.They never celebrated X-mas(Jesus supposed B-day),Halloween and such things of that sort.These are worldly things and true Christians do not participate in this.

We can see that those who do not possess an accurate knowledge of holy scriptures can easily be driven to believe that Christianity does have pagan roots,because of what they see in the world,as Christianity.But, this is far from the truth.

No, actually, it's like saying omnivore. As I said, the important thing to understand about syncretic religions is that they are neither of their component elements. They are something else entirely. Christo-Paganism is not Christianity, and it is not Paganism - it's Christo-Paganism.
Something else I left out is that crosses were used by the Egyptians in the 18th Dynasty.Almost 1,500 years before Jesus Christ.The Ankh cross.

"The Ankh Cross represents life (immortality) and death, male and female, balance. It can also represent zest, joy of life, and energy. It's closely related to the looped cross that can mean fertility and life.The Ancient Egyptians used the ankh to stand for a word meaning life. It is also called crux ansata, Latin for cross-with-a-handle."

About the Ankh Cross

So we can see how paganism has crept into Christendom,but not True Christianity.

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member

Christo-Paganism is just like the colour red-orange. Orange is not red nor yellow, but a combination of the two in the first place. So red-orange or yellow-orange aren't out of place. Same with Christianity... it's a syncretic religion. I guess one part is emphasised over the others, enh?

Rival

Diex Aie
Staff member
Premium Member
Why would he need their acceptance?

He wouldn't need it, but I can understand some Christians would not be too happy about his incorporating their faith into his and mixing it all up. It makes a mockery of the faith and implies that you can just do whatever you want with it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

He wouldn't need it, but I can understand some Christians would not be too happy about his incorporating their faith into his and mixing it all up. It makes a mockery of the faith and implies that you can just do whatever you want with it.

Nah, fundies already make a mockery of it on their own.