• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citing staffing issues and political climate, North Idaho hospital will no longer deliver babies.

Shaul

Premium Member
The facility is not closing. The hospital is staying open. It is only turning birthing women away. What if they said they are turning away any other specific group? Would you find it disturbing if they said they were turning away cardiac patients instead of birthing women?
By facility I meant the birthing center of the hospital, not the entire hospital. If a hospital finds it needs to shut down facilities, whether entirely or specific functions, that is also unfortunate. I said already it is unfortunate that the birthing facility is closing. What is not true is that the reason for the closure being the anti-abortion laws. The reason is a declining patient population due to demographics. Demographics in the future could potentially cause other unfortunate closures, even including the entire hospital.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
By facility I meant the birthing center of the hospital, not the entire hospital. If a hospital finds it needs to shut down facilities, whether entirely or specific functions, that is also unfortunate. I said already it is unfortunate that the birthing facility is closing. What is not true is that the reason for the closure being the anti-abortion laws. The reason is a declining patient population due to demographics. Demographics in the future could potentially cause other unfortunate closures, even including the entire hospital.
It's a 25 bed hospital. Do you think a hospital that size would have a separate birthing center?

crossfire

Premium Member
I wrote facility, not center.
So, do you think a 25 bed hospital would have a separate birthing facility?
Btw, I looked up the vital statistics of Sand Point, ID. 5.5% of women of reproductive age there gave birth in the past year, which is higher than the national average. The median age of the US is 38.8 years of age, which is not that far from Sand Point, ID's median age of 40.

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Yes, I am. Because it is based on bias on their part. The obstetricians are leaving to go to other locations. They are following the $$$. Because they won't be able to do the more expensive procedures. They are bitter about losing a source of income. That's it. Again, this isn't about abortion. It is about greedy doctors.
The cost of giving birth is WAY more expensive than abortions are.

wellwisher

I certainly don't blame the physicians and nurses who are leaving. They can go work in Washington or Oregon and probably make more money. Plus not have to deal with the regressive abortion ban nonsense.
So you are saying abortion was a big money making for big Med and medical staffs will go where the money is greener?

As far as child birth, this classically was taken care of by elder women and midwives. The Medical union put a stop to that, because the midwives were going union jobs, but at a much lower cost. This old timer approach can now make a come back.

Only the killing of the unborn really needs a doctor, since childbirth is natural, while abortion is manmade.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Yes, I am. Because it is based on bias on their part. The obstetricians are leaving to go to other locations. They are following the $$$. Because they won't be able to do the more expensive procedures. They are bitter about losing a source of income. That's it. Again, this isn't about abortion. It is about greedy doctors.
"According to the Guttmacher Institute, the average cost for a first trimester abortion in the US is $650 – $750. Second trimester abortions typically run an average of $1,200. Late term abortions can be even more expensive, at $3,000 or more depending on your situation."
SOURCE: Abortion Costs

"Giving birth costs $18,865 on average, including pregnancy, delivery and postpartum care, according to the Peterson-Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) Health System Tracker. Health insurance can cover most of that cost. But what if you don’t have health insurance? You can expect a hefty hospital bill."
SOURCE: How Much Does It Cost To Have A Baby? 2023 Averages

So, now I suppose you're going to admit that you're wrong and acknowledge that, if doctors are greedy, it's actually the ones who DON'T want abortion who are just after the money. After all, you are ideologically consistent.

Right?

crossfire

Premium Member
"According to the Guttmacher Institute, the average cost for a first trimester abortion in the US is $650 – $750. Second trimester abortions typically run an average of $1,200. Late term abortions can be even more expensive, at $3,000 or more depending on your situation."

"Giving birth costs $18,865 on average, including pregnancy, delivery and postpartum care, according to the Peterson-Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) Health System Tracker. Health insurance can cover most of that cost. But what if you don’t have health insurance? You can expect a hefty hospital bill."

So, now I suppose you're going to admit that you're wrong and acknowledge that, if doctors are greedy, it's actually the ones who DON'T want abortion who are just after the money. After all, you are ideologically consistent.

Right?
In all fairness, he could have meant that pregnant women don't deserve or need health care. I wonder which one it is?

Heyo

Veteran Member

Right?
:Winner:

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
So you are saying abortion was a big money making for big Med and medical staffs will go where the money is greener?

No, I'm saying if medical staff are now working in a place where they have to put women's lives at greater risk because abortion is not an option, they'll chose to go somewhere else. And if you're gonna leave, might as well go somewhere you can make more money. Two birds, one stone.

As far as child birth, this classically was taken care of by elder women and midwives. The Medical union put a stop to that, because the midwives were going union jobs, but at a much lower cost. This old timer approach can now make a come back.

We still have midwives, sir. My organization employs several.

Per usual, you don't know what you're talking about. Turn off Fox News or One America or wherever you're getting your information.

Only the killing of the unborn really needs a doctor, since childbirth is natural, while abortion is manmade.

You're overlooking maternal death (shocking!), which prenatal care and medical oversight (especially in complex/ dangerous pregnancies) has greatly reduced. Thanks, modern medicine!

Shaul

Premium Member
So, do you think a 25 bed hospital would have a separate birthing facility?
Btw, I looked up the vital statistics of Sand Point, ID. 5.5% of women of reproductive age there gave birth in the past year, which is higher than the national average. The median age of the US is 38.8 years of age, which is not that far from Sand Point, ID's median age of 40.
Actually the facility that is closing in Sandpoint is the Women's Health facility which was a separate building from the hospital. The demographics could no longer support it. The total number of women giving birth has been declining. So it is closing. It isn't about abortion.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Actually the facility that is closing in Sandpoint is the Women's Health facility which was a separate building from the hospital. The demographics could no longer support it. The total number of women giving birth has been declining. So it is closing. It isn't about abortion.
Except for those pesky doctors who claim it is. But you know better what everyone is really thinking, I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Shaul

Premium Member

"Giving birth costs $18,865 on average, including pregnancy, delivery and postpartum care, according to the Peterson-Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) Health System Tracker. Health insurance can cover most of that cost. But what if you don’t have health insurance? You can expect a hefty hospital bill."pples

Right?
Apples and oranges. It isn't the cost, it is the profit. The profit margin for births is low. But the profits from abortions are high. Abortions are more profitable cost-wise than births for the medical profession. If you really think abortion doctors aren't in it for the money you are being deceived.

Shaul

Premium Member
Except for those pesky doctors who claim it is. But you know better what everyone is really thinking, I'm sure. :rolleyes:
I already addressed this. The doctors quoted have a vested interest. Their statements should be taken with a grain of salt. Cui bono. I don't have such a vested interest.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I already addressed this. The doctors quoted have a vested interest. Their statements should be taken with a grain of salt. Cui bono. I don't have such a vested interest.
Yes I know you did. You just doubled down on your terrible mind reading abilities, like you just did here. Another poster addressed this in full, pointing out that delivering babies is a much more lucrative business than performing abortions. You didn't respond, and instead doubled down on your claim that "the profit for births is low" while "profits from abortions are high." Which is factually incorrect.

So, you have zero evidence backing up your claim but continue to assert it and believe it anyway, because well, you have a hunch, or something.

Shaul

Premium Member
Yes I know you did. You just doubled down on your terrible mind reading abilities, like you just did here. Another poster addressed this in full, pointing out that delivering babies is a much more lucrative business than performing abortions. You didn't respond, and instead doubled down on your claim that "the profit for births is low" while "profits from abortions are high." Which is factually incorrect.

So, you have zero evidence backing up your claim but continue to assert it and believe it anyway, because well, you have a hunch, or something.
Gee, I thought I addressed that other poster. :cool:

Look at you accusing me of mind reading when it is you that is doing just that. You think you can read my mind but saying I believe things without evidence and based on hunches. Pot calling the kettle black.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Gee, I thought I addressed that other poster. :cool:

Look at you accusing me of mind reading when it is you that is doing just that. You think you can read my mind but saying I believe things without evidence and based on hunches. Pot calling the kettle black.
I don't need any mind reading abilities at all. You demonstrated yourself that you don't have any evidence. Another poster demonstrated that the evidence works against you and your claims.

Of course, I already explained this. :cool: