• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Citing staffing issues and political climate, North Idaho hospital will no longer deliver babies.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
Actually the facility that is closing in Sandpoint is the Women's Health facility which was a separate building from the hospital. The demographics could no longer support it. The total number of women giving birth has been declining. So it is closing. It isn't about abortion.
Sandpoint Women's Health Facility will remain open. They are just turning away birthing women.

from the Bonner General Health website:
"In addition, Sandpoint Women’s Health will continue to offer gynecological services, including surgical services, preventative and wellness exams, and family planning consultation."

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
So you are saying abortion was a big money making for big Med and medical staffs will go where the money is greener?

As far as child birth, this classically was taken care of by elder women and midwives. The Medical union put a stop to that, because the midwives were going union jobs, but at a much lower cost. This old timer approach can now make a come back.

Only the killing of the unborn really needs a doctor, since childbirth is natural, while abortion is manmade.
Miscarriages are natural I guess.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
The hospital already lost pediatric coverage:

One doctor has resigned over the new laws. Births have been declining for many years now. 265 babies were born at that hospital last year. The women's clinic is still going to offer obstetrical care and will collaborate with Kootenai Health system to provide obstetric care to the women who have chosen to live in the Idaho panhandle, which is remote, rural, and sparsely populated.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
"According to the Guttmacher Institute, the average cost for a first trimester abortion in the US is $650 – $750. Second trimester abortions typically run an average of $1,200. Late term abortions can be even more expensive, at $3,000 or more depending on your situation."
SOURCE: Abortion Costs

"Giving birth costs $18,865 on average, including pregnancy, delivery and postpartum care, according to the Peterson-Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) Health System Tracker. Health insurance can cover most of that cost. But what if you don’t have health insurance? You can expect a hefty hospital bill."
SOURCE: How Much Does It Cost To Have A Baby? 2023 Averages

So, now I suppose you're going to admit that you're wrong and acknowledge that, if doctors are greedy, it's actually the ones who DON'T want abortion who are just after the money. After all, you are ideologically consistent.

Right?
Okay I have to ask as a non American
How the hell does anyone afford to give birth in the US???

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Okay I have to ask as a non American
How the hell does anyone afford to give birth in the US???
I gave birth four times, but I was covered by insurance and it didn't cost me anywhere close to $18,000. We also have Medicare, Medicaid, etc. I'm not saying we've got anywhere close to a perfect healthcare system, but the average person doesn't pay $18,000 to have a baby.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I gave birth four times, but I was covered by insurance and it didn't cost me anywhere close to $18,000. We also have Medicare, Medicaid, etc. I'm not saying we've got anywhere close to a perfect healthcare system, but the average person doesn't pay $18,000 to have a baby.
Oh thats good then

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Apples and oranges. It isn't the cost, it is the profit. The profit margin for births is low. But the profits from abortions are high. Abortions are more profitable cost-wise than births for the medical profession. If you really think abortion doctors aren't in it for the money you are being deceived.
Sounds like cope. Any source for these claims?

I find it hard to believe that the profit margins for a $650-$3,000 procedure are larger than the profit margin for a $18,000 procedure. In fact, I'm willing to bet the profit margin for a pregnancy and birth is greater than the total sum of the cost of an abortion.

Don't be absurd.

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
Sounds like cope. Any source for these claims?

I find it hard to believe that the profit margins for a $650-$3,000 procedure are smaller than the profit margin for a $18,000 procedure. In fact, I'm willing to bet the profit margin for a pregnancy and birth is greater than the total sum of the cost of an abortion.

Don't be absurd.
If the profits from abortions are insignificant then the clinic should be able continue to remain open without them. But they are saying the must close without being able to do abortions. They and you can't have it both ways. Either the profits from abortions are needed to keep them open or not.

Oh, and by the way, the Sandpoint, Idaho abortion clinic could just relocate to a satellite location in Newport, Washington. That is only a half hour drive away. They already have their offices in a separate building from the hospital.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
If the profits from abortions are insignificant then the clinic should be able continue to remain open without them. But they are saying the must close without being able to do abortions. They and you can't have it both ways. Either the profits from abortions are needed to keep them open or not.
Or, alternatively, it's not motivated by profit as you are alleging. Evidenced by the fact that pregnancy makes more money than abortion does. So, you're wrong.

See how you're assuming the conclusion before the premise? It's almost as if you're not actually speaking factually.

Shaul

Premium Member
Or, alternatively, it's not motivated by profit as you are alleging. Evidenced by the fact that pregnancy makes more money than abortion does. So, you're wrong.

See how you're assuming the conclusion before the premise? It's almost as if you're not actually speaking factually.
You are the one making assumptions. You assume the abortions don't make profits. Since the abortion profits aren't significant the clinic doesn't need to close at all. Just stay open without doing abortions.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
You are the one making assumptions.
Oh yeah? Then where's your evidence that the profit margins for abortion are significantly higher than the profit margin for pregnancy and childbirth?

Or, is that an assumption you're making?

You assume the abortions don't make profits.
No, I didn't. It's a fact that pregnancy and childbirth costs more than abortion.

Since the abortion profits aren't significant the clinic doesn't need to close at all. Just stay open without doing abortions.
Or, there are non-profit related reasons as to why they don't want to do either. For example, it could be because of the explicit reasons they are stating. The fact that they are choosing NOT to do a far more profitable procedure is clear-cut proof that profit is not the motive here. You are wrong.

Again, you are assuming a conclusion before examining the premise. Your logic is fundamentally circular.

Take a breath, admit you were wrong. It's not that bad.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
You are the one making assumptions. You assume the abortions don't make profits. Since the abortion profits aren't significant the clinic doesn't need to close at all. Just stay open without doing abortions.
Doctors need to have all of their options open if they are going to do what is best for a patient. In the event that something is necessary, they are not able to provide that care. They shouldn't have to check with the government to see what care they can provide. It's just not worth it for them stay in a state that tells them what they can't do. Big government doesn't work too well in this case I guess.