• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Communicating with God?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
There are as many ways to communicate with god, as there are to bake a cake. I'll only name a few. Ritual, prayer, deity yoga, contemplation of nature, breath meditation. These are all forms of communication with the divine.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
These are all forms of communication with the divine.
I think that people really need to get a handle on the concept of divinity. It's a bit of a preposterous notion and yet most never question the validity of the idea itself.

Noaidi

slow walker
Well, I expect this isn't directed at me, since that's not quite what I said. But it's close enough that I'll answer anyway. :D

Thanks. I know you used the word 'commune' rather than 'communicate', but hey, close enough!

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Thanks. I know you used the word 'commune' rather than 'communicate', but hey, close enough!
Well, I also (in my initial post) explained that that's because it's less God talking to us than us shifting our perspective. But, as you say, close enough. :)

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
[B said:
Hawkins[/b]]God speaks only to those who have faith in Him.

Dear Hawkins,
Though "spoken" to me in actual words, It certainly has not, no initial faith seems necessary for encounter [with god] to take place. I was an atheist, in search of nothing, when my experiences began.
Why, I since, have been granted religious intimacy, I do not exactly know; except for, that I have remained attentive and humbly grateful throughout these spiritual years, and also do my very most to live by insights received.

Hermit

Last edited:

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
I tried daily for many years but was always left feeling empty, like I was doing it "wrong." I never felt the presence that others claim to feel and ultimately gave up, not understanding why I felt no relationship with God and others did so easily. :shrug:

Dear sunsplash,
I sense, that though you say you have given up on it now, not having experienced a spiritual connection with the god you believed in, saddens you still.
You mention having felt as if you had been "doing it wrong" but I'm sure, in truth, you do know, there is no wrong way in which to search for further comprehension, goodness and humility?

One thing, which - due to the way I had interpreted the concept of "god" - at least took me by surprise, was how the type of connection we speak of now, lay not outside my own consciousness (like it usually does in relation to things external), but rather within it.
This is why it is said that man, in order to be able to connect with the Divine, must first learn to understand and know himself; both individually and as an existing being.

I do not know if this is new to you or if it inspires you at all, but I wish you harmony and contentment regardless.

Last edited:

it's_sam

Freak of Nature
In continuation of what you were saying about Sunsplash, I agree with Hermit on his guidance. I would say your acceptance by God is overflowing and you need to look within to complete the circuit. I have found any kind of art, writing, or hobby is good for getting the personal connection atleast somewhat understood. I would suggest maybe think about what you see between you and God and write it out or draw it if you can. The only way to find something you do not yet have is to work it out, either physicaly or mentaly it has to be coaxed. You know God is with you, and you know your alive. Find out what that means to you :)

sunsplash

Freckled
Thanks, you are right - I need some soul searching. It is just very disheartening when others relationships seem so...um, blatant or easy...and then here's me with faith in God without literal reason. I just laughed at myself because that seems so silly as I read it back. I wouldn't have faith if God didn't want me to believe, so maybe that is a sign that in fact a relationship is there, just not one where I need to be coddled but yet expected it to work like that or something. Hmmm...

I do art in my spare time with a little writing so maybe I'll try to use that as a developmental tool...good idea. :)

shotsshotsshots3666

Worship God Alone
Peace be upon all,

God can communicate with us in three ways:

1) by sending a messenger through whom He reveals whatever He wills.
2)by inspiration
3) behind a barrier

Hisservant

As important communication is in any other relationship whether it is with a friend or family member; it is important to communicate with God. How do we communicate with God? We do so by talking-by prayer. Prayer is merely speaking to God; therefore, there is no specific way one is supposed to pray/talk to God. Is one told that one can only greet another by saying “hi”, “greetings”, or “what’s up”? No because everyone has their different ways of speaking to people. There isn’t a correct way to say ‘hi’ to someone and the same goes for God.
There are examples of other people speaking with God. An example would be Moses speaking to God in the form of a burning bush in Exodus 3. Joan of Arc also claims to have spoken with God. People today still speak with God. We are speaking to God when we ask for a miracle and miracles are ways of Him showing you He’s listening. He also speaks back sometimes through other people, the bible, or through the Holy Spirit.

georgekk

God will talk to his fellow man via telepathy or by evps.
Any psychic can receive the messages of God.

Often spirit guides will instruct.

I talk to spirits every day.....and record their messages.
Perhaps I am lucky....but I respect those who reach out to us.

George

St Giordano Bruno

Communicating with God, a dead relative or some imaginary friend is not a problem or even a mental disorder for that matter, but they are kind of like talking to trees, if you hear them communicating back to you then you have problems.

georgekk

Communicating with God, a dead relative or some imaginary friend is not a problem or even a mental disorder for that matter, but they are kind of like talking to trees, if you hear them communicating back to you then you have problems.

The only problem there is my friend is YOU....not being able to hear what they say.
Which indeed is a REAL problem because you talk but cannot hear them....lol

Worst still....is to carry on talking when you hear nothing...lol

As I talk, I hear and I am able to communicate.

georgekk

Just to say, that this is a bias based forum against paranormal acceptance.

You get something like this:-

but they are kind of like talking to trees, if you hear them communicating back to you then you have problems.

Wherby someone with zero beliefs in telepathy and spirit replies...can say this...then it is okay to paint someone as a complete 'fruitcake' because their own blindness and seperation allows them to say these things.

That is okay...so they go to church with all the hypochricy to say that it is okay to pray....as long as your god does not answer back...oh yer normality...but to me, nothing but spiritual blindness.

That is the problem with you people....you cannot accept the beliefs of the paranormal!

Instead you leave these posts intact, because it SUITS your mods beliefs.

Yet whe I SAY that according to MY BELIEF, being a skeptic is no differnce to being an atheist, as both seperate from God...then my posts are deleted.

Why is that????

I can't be bothered with you...all...

Over and out

Georgek

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I used to commonly attempt communication with a god, but it was never a worthwhile endeavor.

I'm annoyed that I spent so much time and emotional energy on it.

Iroh

As important communication is in any other relationship whether it is with a friend or family member; it is important to communicate with God. How do we communicate with God? We do so by talking-by prayer. Prayer is merely speaking to God; therefore, there is no specific way one is supposed to pray/talk to God. Is one told that one can only greet another by saying “hi”, “greetings”, or “what’s up”? No because everyone has their different ways of speaking to people. There isn’t a correct way to say ‘hi’ to someone and the same goes for God.
There are examples of other people speaking with God. An example would be Moses speaking to God in the form of a burning bush in Exodus 3. Joan of Arc also claims to have spoken with God. People today still speak with God. We are speaking to God when we ask for a miracle and miracles are ways of Him showing you He’s listening. He also speaks back sometimes through other people, the bible, or through the Holy Spirit.

I really like the way you put it; talking to God is no different than talking to your best friend, but He may not always answer you in the way you anticipate. What I mean by this is that God speaks through His Word, His Spirit (conscience), and on occasion supernatural means. I know that in my own life there are times I'll have questions or things that vex my mind and I'll talk to God and ask Him to reveal the answers, and it may be that the next small group discusses that problem or a friend just starts talking about the issue. You might say this is just a coincidence, but I have personally had some experiences that cannot be explained by mere coincidence. I think that God speaks to us today primarily through His word, His Spirit (consience), and subtle gestures.

I really like the way you put it; talking to God is no different than talking to your best friend, but He may not always answer you in the way you anticipate. What I mean by this is that God speaks through His Word, His Spirit (conscience), and on occasion supernatural means. I know that in my own life there are times I'll have questions or things that vex my mind and I'll talk to God and ask Him to reveal the answers, and it may be that the next small group discusses that problem or a friend just starts talking about the issue. You might say this is just a coincidence, but I have personally had some experiences that cannot be explained by mere coincidence. I think that God speaks to us today primarily through His word, His Spirit (consience), and subtle gestures.

I agree.