• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contradictions in the bible???

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Just how sure are we that Jesus didn't speak Greek instead of Aramaic? Jesus never wrote anything down.
Jesus probably understood and spoke any language he wanted to. Still, he was communicating not to the middle/upper class but to the everyman of the realm. The fishermen, the prostitutes and the like. There seems to be no compelling reason to believe he spoke anything BUT Aramaic.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
I think that you are forgetting that they lived in a society where they are bilingual. Greek (or Koine Greek) was widely spoken in the Near East, just like Aramaic. The Hellenistic period may have ended before Jesus time and Rome may taken over the provinces, but Latin wasn't as widely spoken as Greek in the East. Even in Rome, many of the aristocrats and middle-class families could speak both Latin and Greek.

Also Paul and Luke were writing to specific audience, namely the Greeks. Why else would Paul write letters to Christians in Greek cities? And if I am not mistaken, the gospel of Luke for the Greek Christians. Letters of Paul were written before any of the gospels, and Mark was the earliest of the gospels.

Just how sure are we that Jesus didn't speak Greek instead of Aramaic? Jesus never wrote anything down.
What does being bilingual have to do with them seeing differing things?

gnostic

The Lost One
Jesus probably understood and spoke any language he wanted to. Still, he was communicating not to the middle/upper class but to the everyman of the realm. The fishermen, the prostitutes and the like. There seems to be no compelling reason to believe he spoke anything BUT Aramaic.
But Greek was also language of trades. It is possible that every tradesmen, including fishermen, would know Greek.

Jesus seemed to know Latin as well, as he have given Simon the name "Peter". Simon is actually Greek, and derived from the Hebrew Simeon.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
The bottom line is that there are different accounts in the bible. Thats hard to deal with when we quote scripture to try to justify a position. If we are willing to admint that there are " false statements" in the bible, then do we have the right to tell others what is " truth"?

or are we saying , " as long as it is a minor detail, it does not matter".

What if it matters to some, who was at the tomb, what was written above the cross, how did Judas die, and did Jesus go to the centurions house? How can we say to the world with so much " conviction" some points , but dismmiss others?
We have the right to tell others what we think is truth, based upon our admittedly limited understanding. It's awfully difficult to extrapolate absolutes out of things that are relative.

The thing is, it's easy to become blind to the forest by concentrating too much on the bark of the individual trees, which, in the grand scheme, do not inform us of much about the forest, as a whole.

sojourner

If that is good enough for you, by all means close your eyes and run with it.
Why do you say, "close your eyes?" I see it as incredibly eye-opening, not to be confused and derailed by miniscule detail that is not cogent to the goal.

sojourner

doppelgänger;1147095 said:
"Exegesis" is eisegesis performed with with a dirty mirror.
Put some Windex. This works! last night, my toe was as big as my face.

sojourner

Proctor & Gamble, two Biblical archaologists from Cincinnati, were the first to make the Amway connection that sparked the rumor of contradictions in the Bible. Obscuring the healing properties of Windex with references to Satan, they were able to completely undermine the veracity of the Bible through an elaborate pyramid scheme (for which they later said the Israelite slaves were responsible). This led to a boycott of Biblical exegesis which has persisted in fundamentalist circles to this day.

pray4me

personally I don't see anything satanic in their symbol. Maybe I don't know much about satanism.