• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contradictions in the bible???

Poisonshady313

As the new guy, I'd like to see if the first thread I took part in can last a couple more pages...

There's plenty of good stuff to talk about...
The mangled matthew genealogy of Jesus (say that five times fast)
The Sign of Jonah fiasco
Was the last supper a Passover Seder? (The feast of unleavened bread)

Good times.

Is there any shot at these being discussed? Anyone agree that these are contradictions? Anyone disagree? Anyone on either side or impartial want me to clarify further?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
The scriptures were never meant to be taken as perfect: they were written by men. I don't have a problem with them on any plane.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I disagree with the entire premise of the scriptures being inerrant. They never claim to be. That's a foolish man made doctrine to make up for a lack of trust in God and his Spirit.

Genesis 1 relays the order of creation, it was God talking in Genesis 1. Genesis two relays the Author's point of view(Moses).

Moses did not narrate everything in there order anymore, has he intends to inteject his own narration in chapter two. you will notice that in chapter two moses was already narrating the fact that adam named the animals which was not yet mentioned in chapter 1.

In summary you have to recognize who is talking. it was God in Chapter 1 and Moses on Chapter 2.

you just thought there were contradicting becasue you thought there was only one person talking.:D

I will work on the next ones ok? please bear with me.;)
who was god talking to knowone was there,he made the sun a bit later so he did he do the stuff before in the dark. amazing guy, and when you say god said lets make man in 'our' image, sounds like a group of guys sitting around a table deciding what to put into this best selling book . 'The Bible'. loses the plot about halfway through but still a decent read cant wait until they bring out a new one, as the great Bill Hicks said "I think what God meant to say"

zon3d

There are no contradictions in the Bible. All the apparent contradictions are just people reading the text out of context.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
There are no contradictions in the Bible. All the apparent contradictions are just people reading the text out of context.
:biglaugh:

The Bible is chock full of contradiction. It was never compiled nor redacted to reflect factual confluence. The redactors, in fact, included many, many contradictions, because it was more important to them to preserve all the Tradition, than to make it jive across the board.

Poisonshady313

Perhaps then you can explain away the contradiction of the sign of Jonah.

I assert to you that despite what Jesus said, he was NOT in the earth for three days and three nights.

Even if you extended the whole "heat of the earth" to mean suffering (not just being in the tomb), he still fails to be in the earth for three days and three nights.

If he was buried on Friday evening (every gospel indicates he was buried on Friday evening), you've got
friday night, 1 night.
Saturday daytime. 1 day, 1 night
Saturday night. 1 day, 2 nights
and John says the tomb was empty even before dawn....

Jesus said 3 days and 3 nights... but according to the gospels, he was in the earth for 1 day and 2 nights.

If you think I'm just reading it out of context, tell me how.

Prove to me that this is not a contradiction.

Scott1

Even if you extended the whole "heat of the earth" to mean suffering (not just being in the tomb), he still fails to be in the earth for three days and three nights.Prove to me that this is not a contradiction.
"In rabbinical thought a day and a night make an onah, and a part of an onah is as the whole. . . . Thus according to Jewish tradition, ‘three days and three nights’ need mean no more than ‘three days’ or the combination of any part of three separate days" (D.A. Carson - Expositor’s Bible Commentary, 8:296).

If Jesus was crucified and died Friday afternoon, that would be the first day; at sundown on Friday the second day would begin; then at sundown on Saturday the third day would begin. So Jesus was indeed "raised on the third day" (Matt. 20:19).

CRUCIFIXION WEDNESDAY? (This Rock: March 1999)

Let me guess... no good?

Poisonshady313

Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I gots no problem with that. What's say you try this on your own??? Let us know how you fared!

Friday night. 1 night.
Saturday. 1 day.
Saturday night. 1 night.

If the tomb was empty before sunrise, you can't count any part of Sunday.

Genesis 1:5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Friday night. 1 night.
Saturday. 1 day.
Saturday night. 1 night.

If the tomb was empty before sunrise, you can't count any part of Sunday.

Genesis 1:5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

So it matters not how those writing it saw as night and day, right?

Poisonshady313

"In rabbinical thought a day and a night make an onah, and a part of an onah is as the whole. . . . Thus according to Jewish tradition, ‘three days and three nights’ need mean no more than ‘three days’ or the combination of any part of three separate days" (D.A. Carson - Expositor’s Bible Commentary, 8:296).

If Jesus was crucified and died Friday afternoon, that would be the first day; at sundown on Friday the second day would begin; then at sundown on Saturday the third day would begin. So Jesus was indeed "raised on the third day" (Matt. 20:19).

CRUCIFIXION WEDNESDAY? (This Rock: March 1999)

Let me guess... no good?

No good.

First, let's start with your misunderstanding about the word onah.

The word onah literally means "time period." In the context of the laws of niddah, it usually refers to a day or a night. Each 24-hour day thus consists of two onot. The daytime onah begins at sunrise (henetz hachamah, commonly called netz) and ends at sunset (shekiat hachamah or shekiah). The night-time onah lasts from sunset until sunrise.

(It is only in reference to the laws of niddah that the word "onah" is used in the Talmud)

Your expositor bible commentary is wrong.

Second... the concept of "the third day" is a direct contradiction of the sign of Jonah.

The third day does indeed mean anything beyond the second day.

Three days and Three nights requires the passage of three days and three nights before anything can happen.

Poisonshady313

So it matters not how those writing it saw as night and day, right?

No. It doesn't. Unless they fabricated the sign of Jonah. If you are to believe that Jesus spoke the sign of Jonah... then it only matters that he either be right or wrong.

Days are days... nights are nights... if Jesus was in the ground for 1 day and 2 nights... he certainly wasn't in the ground for 3 days and 3 nights.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
No. It doesn't. Unless they fabricated the sign of Jonah. If you are to believe that Jesus spoke the sign of Jonah... then it only matters that he either be right or wrong.

Days are days... nights are nights... if Jesus was in the ground for 1 day and 2 nights... he certainly wasn't in the ground for 3 days and 3 nights.
Good point.
So either the day of the crucification is incorrect, the day of the rising is incorrect, or Jesus wasn't in the earth for three days and three nights.
Seems there is an error regardless of how you look at it...

Poisonshady313

Well... it's not mine... I just found it and don't know anyone who speaks Hebrew... thanks for your comments.

This is important, why?

If someone says "I'll be back after three days and three nights"... it's clear they'll be back on the fourth night. (to be back on the fourth day means three days and four nights)

If someone says "I'll be back on the third day"... it's clear they'll be back on the third day.

If he said one, and he said the other, he could only do one.

Which means one of them is an instance of false prophecy and contradiction.