• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contradictions in the bible???

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
And so the Christians who started out as Jews had children that they raised to be Christian, and thus belief was never really dependent on actually reading the text. It was just the bullet points that the preacher needed you to hear.
Dang man, you have one ACTIVE imagination! I dub thee Sir Assumption! You create vivid details out of sheer nothingness. It's simply inspirational!

Poisonshady313

Dang man, you have one ACTIVE imagination! I dub thee Sir Assumption! You create vivid details out of sheer nothingness. It's simply inspirational!

It's common sense. How did Christianity come into being before 100 CE if there were no gospels? Apparently, people weren't being converted based on what they read.

By the time there was something to read, the people who already believed had no reason to go scouring for details, and the people who found errors would simply be told that they're blind, or going to hell for not believing.

I know this because it happens today.

Scuba Pete

It's common sense.
This made me chuckle. Your imaginative flights of fancy are ANYTHING but common sense. Well, Sir Assumption, you have provided no evidence for these conjectures of yours. I reject them outright as being completely unsubstantiated.
I know this because it happens today.
You are the paradigm of knowledge on all things Christian: but only in your own mind.

gnostic

The Lost One
scuba pete said:
That would be AMATEUR Christianity. After all, amateurs built the ark while professionals built the Titanic.
By 5 to 10 years, you would become a professional ark builder, so Noah was already a professional long before the Ark was completed, around 100 years later.

Scuba Pete

By 5 to 10 years, you would become a professional ark builder, so Noah was already a professional long before the Ark was completed, around 100 years later.
That's false.

You are an amateur as long as you don't get paid. You might be an accomplished or even an expert ark builder, but that has no bearing on you being a professional.

Poisonshady313

This made me chuckle. Your imaginative flights of fancy are ANYTHING but common sense. Well, Sir Assumption, you have provided no evidence for these conjectures of yours. I reject them outright as being completely unsubstantiated. You are the paradigm of knowledge on all things Christian: but only in your own mind.

The evidence is right here on this forum... or any forum where religion is discussed. Non-Christians who don't see the bible the same way Christians do are frequently told that they are blind, bereft of knowledge, without the holy spirit thus unable to understand scripture, etc... Don't believe it if you don't want to.

You could also choose not to believe that the gas station down the street from me charges $4.19 for regular... but when I go to fill up later today, I'll know that it is so.

I've seen various shades of christian missionaries... from Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses, to street preachers, to Jews for Jesus... and they all base their efforts on the fact that the person they're trying to convert is ignorant of the scriptures.

If they can wow them with everlasting life in heaven with Jesus, they don't actually need to sit down and read the book.

There's a passage in the gospels..
In Matthew 2:23 it says "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene."

A person ignorant of such things would say "wow, that's amazing... the prophets said it, and it was. wow."

I, not being ignorant, know that the prophets never said such a thing. That's why people like me don't convert to Christianity... and that's why the people who didn't convert to Christianity 2000 years ago didn't convert to Christianity.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's false.

You are an amateur as long as you don't get paid. You might be an accomplished or even an expert ark builder, but that has no bearing on you being a professional.
Didn't Noah get paid for his work? In exchange for building an Ark, he and his family got to live while everyone died. Seems to me that he got paid better than most professionals. ;)

And how long do you think that the Ark would have stayed afloat after an iceberg hit like the one that sunk the Titanic?

Edit: maybe I'm reading too much into the analogy. :D

Scuba Pete

The evidence is right here on this forum... or any forum where religion is discussed. Non-Christians who don't see the bible the same way Christians do are frequently told that they are blind, bereft of knowledge, without the holy spirit thus unable to understand scripture, etc... Don't believe it if you don't want to.
And those who claim to be Christian are frequently told that they believe in myths and are stupid. But this is merely a straw man argument. You have no evidence to the contrary.
You could also choose not to believe that the gas station down the street from me charges $4.19 for regular... but when I go to fill up later today, I'll know that it is so.
Boy, are YOU in for a surprise. :D Gas is going up, Bubba.
I've seen various shades of christian missionaries... from Mormons and Jehovahs Witnesses, to street preachers, to Jews for Jesus... and they all base their efforts on the fact that the person they're trying to convert is ignorant of the scriptures.
Do you have signed confessionals here, or just MORE of your assumptions? I'll bet on the latter.
If they can wow them with everlasting life in heaven with Jesus, they don't actually need to sit down and read the book.
Who needs a book to love others?
There's a passage in the gospels.. In Matthew 2:23 it says "And he came and dwelt in a city called Nazareth: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophets, He shall be called a Nazarene."

A person ignorant of such things would say "wow, that's amazing... the prophets said it, and it was. wow."

I, not being ignorant, know that the prophets never said such a thing. That's why people like me don't convert to Christianity... and that's why the people who didn't convert to Christianity 2000 years ago didn't convert to Christianity.
Hmnnn... you think the OT has all of the prophets in them? How quaint. Where does it claim to have the words of all of the prophets? Sir Assumption strikes again.

Well, that was fun. We got to obliterate a few assumptions as an after dinner snack.

Big_TJ

Here is another more sohpisticated contradiction:

John 8:1-11

1But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. 2At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. 3The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group 4and said to Jesus, "Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?" 6They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger. 7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." 8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11"No one, sir," she said.
"Then neither do I condemn you," Jesus declared. "Go now and leave your life of sin."

"This passage however is absent from the earliest manuscripts. Nowhere does it appear in the Codex Vaticanus and the Codex Sinaiticus and most of the later Greek manuscripts also omit it. In some manuscripts it appears not in the gospel of John but in Luke (after Luke 21:38)! All the earliest translations of the Bible, the Syriac, the Coptic and Armenian versions are all agreed in not including the passage. The passage was unknown to Christian writers before Ambrose (340-397) and Augustine (354-430). These considerations show conclusively that we have here another late and fraudulent insertion into the Bible. That it is still not taken out from the Bible today is a modern example of what Gibbon called "honest bigotry" (Bentley, Secrets of Mount Sinai: p130)".

Rejection of Pascal's Wager:Unauthentic Texts in the New Testament

In other words, where have the 66 books of the bible containing information that was never in the writings on which the 66 books were based.

Scuba Pete

For your own sake, don't ever to go Vegas. You'll be ruined.
Now a threat? My dear man, I will be going to Vegas a second time this October. Rather than ruin me, my trip to Vegas will make me rich and famous. Yet another one of your assumptions that is not simply false, but utterly so. Perhaps you should be the one to avoid Vegas. Your critical thinking seems to be, by and large, rather impaired.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Actually, doesn't the word "professional" mean "one who is called?" In that case, Noah would be the professional, having been called by God to build the ark. The builders of the Titanic would be "expert" ... or would they?

Scuba Pete

Actually, doesn't the word "professional" mean "one who is called?" In that case, Noah would be the professional, having been called by God to build the ark. The builders of the Titanic would be "expert" ... or would they?
Whatever the origin, Dictionary.com gives us this:

following an occupation as a means of livelihood or for gain: a professional builder.

The quickest way to ruin something is to pay someone to do it. It's why I like College football (Go Gators!!!) and am ambivalent towards pro-ball.