• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contradictions in the bible???

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
That is not what I would argue... I would argue that it isn't murder because God commanded it, not because of what may have occured previously...
So if God commands you to do something that you would otherwise consider evil, it's not evil, but good? Say, something like infanticide, for example?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
So if God commands you to do something that would otherwise be evil, it then becomes good, just because God commanded it? Say for example, since I am both atheist and a lesbian, that God commanded you to murder my children. Would that be good then?

And before you say the He wouldn't (although He frequently did things just like that, according to your book about Him) please review the meaning of the word "hypothetical." Thank you.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
That's the methodology that many used to justify their blood lust. God would NEVER ask us to do something evil. God is love.
You would disagree with Mister Emu then?

So if God commands you to do something that would otherwise be evil, such as murdering a baby, it's still evil then?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You would disagree with Mister Emu then?

So if God commands you to do something that would otherwise be evil, such as murdering a baby, it's still evil then?
It's a trick question: God would never ask us to murder a baby. HOWEVER, jerks who murder babies will often blame God and say that he told them to do it! I do believe that most of the wars in the OT that were attributed to God were merely justifications for their own blood thirstiness. God is love.

gnostic

The Lost One
Scuba Pete said:
That's the methodology that many used to justify their blood lust. God would NEVER ask us to do something evil. God is love.
Scuba Pete said:
It's a trick question: God would never ask us to murder a baby. HOWEVER, jerks who murder babies will often blame God and say that he told them to do it! I do believe that most of the wars in the OT that were attributed to God were merely justifications for their own blood thirstiness. God is love.
Then you are saying that God didn't give Saul command (via Samuel) to kill infants (1 Samuel 15), as well as elderly and women?

Who gave Samuel instruction, if not God? How sure are you?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Then you are saying that God didn't give Saul command (via Samuel) to kill infants (1 Samuel 15), as well as elderly and women?

Who gave Samuel instruction, if not God? How sure are you?
How many times do I have to repeat myself? Man wrote the Bible: not God. Why would you think he wrote it without trying to make himself look as good as possible? Do you think that pride is a recent invention? God is love. You can know something is of God if it is of love.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
How many times do I have to repeat myself? Man wrote the Bible: not God. Why would you think he wrote it without trying to make himself look as good as possible? Do you think that pride is a recent invention? God is love. You can know something is of God if it is of love.
Interesting pick and choose method

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
So if God commands you to do something that would otherwise be evil, it then becomes good, just because God commanded it? Say for example, since I am both atheist and a lesbian, that God commanded you to murder my children. Would that be good then?

And before you say the He wouldn't (although He frequently did things just like that, according to your book about Him) please review the meaning of the word "hypothetical." Thank you.
I would consider good anything that God commanded...

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

1 Samuel 15:3

This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'I will punish the Amalekites for what they did to Israel when they waylaid them as they came up from Egypt. 3 Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy [a] everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.'

Numbers 21:35

The LORD said to Moses, "Do not be afraid of him, for I have handed him over to you, with his whole army and his land. Do to him what you did to Sihon king of the Amorites, who reigned in Heshbon." 35 So they struck him down, together with his sons and his whole army, leaving them no survivors. And they took possession of his land.

Numbers 21:17:

Now kill all the boys. And kill every woman who has slept with a man, 18 but save for yourselves every girl who has never slept with a man.

Exodus 12:29
At midnight the LORD struck down all the firstborn in Egypt, from the firstborn of Pharaoh, who sat on the throne, to the firstborn of the prisoner, who was in the dungeon, and the firstborn of all the livestock as well.

It's so tedious. (1) The God of the Bible certainly does this on a regular basis. (2) So these OT prophets, such as Moses, are just jerks who wanted to murder babies? The text is just plain wrong, and we can't rely on it? What say you, Mr. Emu, can we believe the Bible? (3) It's a hypothetical. Are you familiar with the concept?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank

So basically we can throw out the Bible out as a source of information? It's unreliable? How do you know there ever was such a guy as Jesus?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I would consider good anything that God commanded...
That would be a yes, then, if God commands you to murder my children, doing so would be good?

Some follow up questions:
So when God commanded the 9/11 hijackers to murder 3000 innocent New Yorkers, that was good?
So when you say "good" in the context of your God, you include "things that we would otherwise call evil." That is, in your theology, evil has now become good? There is no absolute or objective good, rather anything that God commands is good, no matter how evil?

From the point of view of a non-Christian, Christians are people who think that things that the rest of find evil, such as genocide, are good, as long as God commands them? So basically I should give any Christian a wide berth, stay away from them, really, as they are likely to suddenly murder my children and call it good? Should the rest of us now try to wipe out Christianity, just to protect ourselves from these dangerous people?