• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

contradictions in the bible???

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
That's what it means to you that Christianity is a revealed religion? If something else were revealed, then it wouldn't be? That doesn't sound right. Isn't revelation about the means of communication, and love about the content?
Love is both the content and the means of communication.
O.K., so we agree that different Christians' Spirit's lead them to contradictory interpretations of scripture, right?
RIght.
And that they can't both be right if they contradict each other.
Wrong
So the Spirit cannot be leading both of them, can it?
Sigh. As all roads lead to Rome, so all truth leads to God. I may see the truth with one set of filters and you see it with another. Does that change the truth? No, only our perception of it.

Clicky, clicky: I Corinthians 8

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Love is both the content and the means of communication.
So if a Christian says that a different message is revealed to him?
RIght. Wrong Sigh. As all roads lead to Rome, so all truth leads to God. I may see the truth with one set of filters and you see it with another. Does that change the truth? No, only our perception of it.

Clicky, clicky: I Corinthians 8
I'm confused. I thought we agreed that two contradictory statements cannot both be true. So if one Christian's Spirit tells him A, and another's tells him not A, they can't both be right, can they?

Scuba Pete

So if a Christian says that a different message is revealed to him? I'm confused. I thought we agreed that two contradictory statements cannot both be true. So if one Christian's Spirit tells him A, and another's tells him not A, they can't both be right, can they?
We call this tolerance.

Poisonshady313

If you don't agree with them, then you think they are wrong. That doesn't mean you have to say that they are wrong.
The fact remains that you think they're wrong... which means there is a contradiction.

A contradiction you are, thus far, unwilling to admit.

Both A and not A cannot be right.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Alright, so far we've established that your belief system is both circular and self-contradictory. Moving along:

If the Spirit tells two different Christians two opposing things, how do you tell which is right? For example, Mr. Emu has said that it is right to follow God's commandments, no matter how evil, and Scuba Pete says that it is wrong. How do you tell which of you is right?

Scuba Pete

Did y'all happen to read I Corinthians 8 yet? It should be rather obvious if you did.

Let's look at two different guys in love with their respective girl friends.

Guy A expresses his love by always opening the door for her, by hiding love notes all over the place for her to find, and just loves to cuddle.

Guy B expresses his love by sending her flowers, taking her to the most expensive restaurants and he just loves to kiss her aggresively.

Can both be right? Sure. Why not?

Here is the real issue with Christianity: there are NO rules except two. Love God and love everyone else. Can someone make up rules for their relationship with God? Sure. Why not? It's their expression of love towards God. Who am I to judge?

Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. 2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. NIV

Scuba Pete

Alright, so far we've established that your belief system is both circular and self-contradictory.
Such a leap of faith! Unfortunately, you have again mis-characterized and over simplified things. It wasn't the first time, now was it?

Poisonshady313

Guy A expresses his love by always opening the door for her, by hiding love notes all over the place for her to find, and just loves to cuddle.

Guy B expresses his love by sending her flowers, taking her to the most expensive restaurants and he just loves to kiss her aggresively.

You've just described the difference between A vs B.

You haven't addressed A vs not A.

Try this.

Guy X and Guy Y are both attracted to Girl Z.
Girl Z only has one name.
Guy X calls her Tina.
Guy Y calls her Samantha.

They can't both be right.

Scuba Pete

Girl Z only has one name.
Guy X calls her Tina.
Guy Y calls her Samantha.

They can't both be right.
Sure. Why not? Nicknames abound when love is concerned. But think about her FULL name: Tina Samantha Jones. It's just one name, yet you call her Tina and Auto calls her Samantha and I call her Ms Jones. We are ALL right.

It's like the three blind guys describing an elephant. They are all correct even though their descriptions vary widely. You guys are caught up in trying to stay within the box, when THERE IS NO BOX! Freakin' hilarious, if you ask me! I'm seein' mimes all over this thread! :D
URL]

Last edited:

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Did y'all happen to read I Corinthians 8 yet? It should be rather obvious if you did.

Here is the real issue with Christianity: there are NO rules except two. Love God and love everyone else. Can someone make up rules for their relationship with God? Sure. Why not? It's their expression of love towards God. Who am I to judge?

Galatians 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. 2 Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all. 3 Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised that he is obligated to obey the whole law. 4 You who are trying to be justified by law have been alienated from Christ; you have fallen away from grace. 5 But by faith we eagerly await through the Spirit the righteousness for which we hope. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love. NIV

Nice story. Has nothing to do with what we're talking about though, unless they're both in love with the same girlfriend. And one says that she likes ice cream and the other says she hates it.

Mr. Emu says: Kill those babies; it's right.
Scuba Pete says: Don't kill those babies; it's wrong.

You're saying that you're both right? That it doesn't matter? Might matter to the babies, don't you think?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Such a leap of faith! Unfortunately, you have again mis-characterized and over simplified things. It wasn't the first time, now was it?

Would you like me to go through it again? You admitted that your logic is circular, pleading that "most things in life are," whatever that means. If most things in life include rational thought, then no, they're not. You are also claiming that in your belief system, A and not A are simultaneously true. Are you now repudiating that statement? And what does faith have to do with it?

btw, it's been my experience on the internet that all theists and all Christian apologetics use circular reasoning, special pleading, or some combination of the two, so don't feel lonesome. It's one of the ways that I figured out that belief system cannot possibly be correct.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Sure. Why not? Nicknames abound when love is concerned. But think about her FULL name: Tina Samantha Jones. It's just one name, yet you call her Tina and Auto calls her Samantha and I call her Ms Jones. We are ALL right.

It's like the three blind guys describing an elephant. They are all correct even though their descriptions vary widely. You guys are caught up in trying to stay within the box, when THERE IS NO BOX! Freakin' hilarious, if you ask me! I'm seein' mimes all over this thread! :D
URL]

1. God says if you're not saved you go to Hell.
2. There is no such thing as Hell.

Pete: These two statements are consistent. Really? In what whacko world of illogica are A and not A consistent?

Scuba Pete

btw, it's been my experience on the internet that all theists and all Christian apologetics use circular reasoning, special pleading, or some combination of the two,
Dang, that's just like the atheists I have come in contact with too! Whodathunk?

Scuba Pete

1. God says if you're not saved you go to Hell.
2. There is no such thing as Hell.

Pete: These two statements are consistent. Really? In what whacko world of illogica are A and not A consistent?
Where do you find this in scriptures? Bring on the references.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Dang, that's just like the atheists I have come in contact with too! Whodathunk?

Really? Can you provide a single example? Can you state any commonly used atheist argument which is either circular or uses special pleading? Because I can give you a raft of arguments I've encountered from Christians on this board that are exactly that.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Now, as we were saying, if you have two Spirit-filled Christians, and one says that the Bible tells him that everyone is saved, and one says that the Bible tells him that only those who place their faith on Christ Jesus is saved, that they're both right? At the same time? Is that your position?

Scuba Pete

Now, as we were saying, if you have two Spirit-filled Christians, and one says that the Bible tells him that everyone is saved, and one says that the Bible tells him that only those who place their faith on Christ Jesus is saved, that they're both right? At the same time? Is that your position?
So, can you cite these two "Spirit filled Christians"? Who are they, and where did they say these things?

You surely wouldn't pull these out of your arse, now would you?