• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convince me that God is loving

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Ok but in the Bible, it clearly shows Jesus speaking of the incident of God destroying Sodom and Gomorrah. And then he said a destruction would happen again. Luke 17:30 shoes that he compared the destruction to when he would be revealed. You might want to look up the chapter, not long.
Luke 17
27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

What do you think that means? What do you think is going to be destroyed?
(I do not believe that everyone was destroyed in a worldwide flood as I don't interpret that part of the Bible literally.)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
Luke 17
27 They did eat, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, and the flood came, and destroyed them all.
28 Likewise also as it was in the days of Lot; they did eat, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they builded;
29 But the same day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven, and destroyed them all.
30 Even thus shall it be in the day when the Son of man is revealed.

What do you think that means? What do you think is going to be destroyed?
(I do not believe that everyone was destroyed in a worldwide flood as I don't interpret that part of the Bible literally.)
It doesn't matter now what I think. The Bible is clear. Jesus said many were destroyed at Sodom, and will be again. I didn't make it up.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It doesn't matter now what I think. The Bible is clear. Jesus said many were destroyed at Sodom, and will be again. I didn't make it up.
Destroyed could mean a lot of things so that verse of open to interpretation. What is going to happen and when?

Baha'u'llah said something similar about a cataclysm, but we don't know what is going to happen or when.

“The world is in travail, and its agitation waxeth day by day. Its face is turned towards waywardness and unbelief. Such shall be its plight, that to disclose it now would not be meet and seemly. Its perversity will long continue. And when the appointed hour is come, there shall suddenly appear that which shall cause the limbs of mankind to quake. Then, and only then, will the Divine Standard be unfurled, and the Nightingale of Paradise warble its melody.”

Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 118-119

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I have ambivalent feelings and thoughts about God and religion. I am still exploring this perplexing subject. I am currently exploring agnostic and non-theist flavors.
Okay, then I guess we are kindred spirits since I also have ambivalent feelings and thoughts about God and religion, even though I believe in God and have a religion. :D

RestlessSoul

Honestly, I think that believers can fall back on their scriptures, but it is our own experiences in life that lead us to believe that God is loving, or not loving. Your experience was good, mine not so good. I have no reason to believe that God is loving, except what scriptures say, and it's not good enough for me.

I don't think it matters to God if I believe He is loving and I know that God knows that my heart is in the right place when I seek to know the truth. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever believe that God is loving in this earthly life unless somethings happens to convince me.

You love your animals don’t you? That’s God expressing, through you, His love for all living things.

RestlessSoul

Well, I'm an agnostic, so I guess you could say I take the uncertain, wishy-washy approach to the whole issue.

I was thinking about this the other day, wondering if I was the only person in the entire universe and that all around me was some illusion. Then I thought about how some people talk about all life, all of humanity, and everything in the cosmos as being "one" and part of the same God. It's the idea that we're not really individuals, or at least, not permanently so, and that we all are connected and part of a singular consciousness.

But then, if that's the case, then that single being is absolutely alone in the universe. No friends, no peers, no one to really "love" except itself and parts of itself.

The unity expressed as plurality. We are all part of something far greater than ourselves, and are necessarily incomplete so long as we remain detached from that something - which is everything. Our task here is to overcome our otherness and connect, I think, with everything and everyone around us; and, to return to the OP, love is what enables us to do that.

chinu

chinu
Convince me that God is loving without referring to scriptures that say that.
Tell me why I should believe that God is loving.

What does God do to show He loves us? What sacrifices does God make?
God isn't loving. God is Love.
There's a big difference between someone being loving VS someone itself is Love.

YoursTrue

Destroyed could mean a lot of things so that verse of open to interpretation. What is going to happen and when?

Baha'u'llah said something similar about a cataclysm, but we don't know what is going to happen or when.

“The world is in travail, and its agitation waxeth day by day. Its face is turned towards waywardness and unbelief. Such shall be its plight, that to disclose it now would not be meet and seemly. Its perversity will long continue. And when the appointed hour is come, there shall suddenly appear that which shall cause the limbs of mankind to quake. Then, and only then, will the Divine Standard be unfurled, and the Nightingale of Paradise warble its melody.”
Yeah well he was quite poetic. Jesus did talk about destruction of many. Bye for now.

YoursTrue

When something is destroyed maybe you think it goes somewhere? Let me help out a little. If I throw a piece of cloth in the fire, what happens? Hint: is smoke something?

YoursTrue

I have ambivalent feelings and thoughts about God and religion. I am still exploring this perplexing subject. I am currently exploring agnostic and non-theist flavors.
God in the ultimate judge and lawgiver. It's kind of hard to go against his will and be in his favor. We know from the Bible that the devil and his accomplices will eventually be totally destroyed. Revelation speaks of this.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
Ok but in the Bible, it clearly shows Jesus speaking of the incident of God destroying Sodom and Gomorrah. And then he said a destruction would happen again. Luke 17:30 shoes that he compared the destruction to when he would be revealed. You might want to look up the chapter, not long.
Is the point that God doesn't love everybody in you estimation?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You love your animals don’t you? That’s God expressing, through you, His love for all living things.
That is me expressing my love for animals. God is nowhere to be found. :shrug:

If God loves all living things then why do they suffer and die? That makes no sense to me which is why I cannot believe it.
I cannot solely believe on faith. I need faith and evidence.

Last edited: