• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Convince me that the world isn't overpopulated

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
A good start would be to improve education for women, worldwide, and provide free birth control, worldwide. We can see reversals of populations growth quite quickly.

Of course the oligarchs and kleptocrats that run the planet will tell us that our economic systems DEMAND continuous growth, but I think that's untrue. We cannot accept the economic cautions provided by oligarchs.
They benefit from overpopulation because they need more and more slaves to exploit.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Nah....bears aren't silly enough to be there...not even a Polar...it is however infested with glaciers and volcanos

Google says

While scientists knew there were some polar bears, roughly a few hundred, in the Southeast Greenland area from historical records and Indigenous knowledge, they never expected to find a new subpopulation living there—and, they say, they didn't know how special they were

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Why did Happy Days, the TV show had so much success? Even in Europe.
Because, as the title suggests, those were happy days, even if it was fiction.
There was no globalization, so people felt more confident and safe.

Globalization has brought nothing but global problems.
That have overwhelmed the West.

At first, Happy Days was funny, at least until they jumped the shark. I think it was inspired by the success of the film American Graffiti which was kind of nostalgia trip for the Boomers who were approaching their thirties. By the mid to late 1970s, people had enough of the sadness, corruption, and seriousness of the recent years and seemed to be looking for more nostalgia, escapism, and fun. People flocked to Star Wars, Grease, Saturday Night Fever, not the gloom and doom like Soylent Green. By the 1980s, as globalization was happening around them, the mantra was "Don't Worry Be Happy."

It's due to the overexploitation of our ecosystems...that need a rest, every now and then.

Lucky the Amish then, who live already outside of it.

Yeah, the Amish might survive, depending on if they can avoid the chaos and roving bands of chickens they're bound to encounter in the event of a total collapse.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

Alexandra Paul has always been wonderful at explaining how this is a problem.
And it's not a matter of space. The spaces are borderless. The problem is resources, since so many lands are unproductive and 8 billion people is an unsustainable number.
And besides that, world overpopulation has been causing nothing but social inequalities and maldistribution of wealth.

And the shocking thing is that when I was born, world population was 4 billion.
Now it has doubled. It has reached 8 billion, and I am still young. Almost all of my former classmates are childless.
And they have no intention of making babies. Not only because of the uncertainty of the future...but because they don't want kids that will have to live in a nightmarish, overpopulated world.
I also advise people that being child-free is better, and they yell at me, telling I am wrong. Since the West is the one which is going through a birth rates collapse, and that it's other continents which should decrease their birth rates.
But the truth is that the future kids will have to face overwhelming immigration, and the discomfort of an overpopulated world.
So...we should think of their future.

Birth rates

Although it is clear that the world is overpopulated by humans, for humans there is no real way to reduce the population fairly or without major problems for the humans left. The word itself will eventually fix the problem and it will be fair and the humans left will struggle. For the world 100,000 years or a million years is relatively a small amount of time. It is great to thing about fixing things but even if we do or don't eventually humans will no longer exist yet the world will remain.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
Google says

While scientists knew there were some polar bears, roughly a few hundred, in the Southeast Greenland area from historical records and Indigenous knowledge, they never expected to find a new subpopulation living there—and, they say, they didn't know how special they were
You can't judge by few polars, likely they still think their in Alaska... and that says there was a population, not that there is a population....Bear sightings, all Polar I believe, are rare there. But volcano and glacier sightings are quite common

Last edited:

Shaul

Premium Member
If everyone on earth was brought together and stood shoulder to shoulder they would take up less space than is available on the isle of white.

View attachment 83187

Over population isn't the real problem. The need for resources that humans claim and are becoming scarce is the problem.
It is the Isle of Wight, not "White". Wight is old English for man.

Shaul

Premium Member
What I've heard many times is that on a worldwide basis, our freshwater aquifers are being drained in unsustainable ways and that our topsoil is being depleted in unsustainable ways. There are many other issues as well, but it strikes me that we can start with those, because they seem essential to our survival.

Can you address those concerns?
It is correct that some aquifers are being used unwisely. That is unfortunate, to say the least. Especially since there are alternatives such as desalination. Some of the reasons for this misuse include incorrect perception of the actual costs and inertia of practice. These misuses will self-correct with time. However it would be better if people were educated about the issues so that needless damage is not done. But it isn't a problem in the sense that ready solutions are available. Similarly topsoil depletion also has solutions.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Our lifestyle depends on electricity.
Warm water, cooking, etc...etc...
So electricity is a finite resource. Power is produced by fuels that will run out.
And they are destroying all forests...because there is more and more need of arable lands, and because they need more and more wood and its derivatives.
I heard some people were putting these black plates onto their roofs and getting electricity from those. There are also giant pinwheels popping up in windy places....
Strange.

Shaul

Premium Member
I heard some people were putting these black plates onto their roofs and getting electricity from those. There are also giant pinwheels popping up in windy places....
Strange.
Do they work at night time or when there isn't any wind? Asking for a friend.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What I've heard many times is that on a worldwide basis, our freshwater aquifers are being drained in unsustainable ways and that our topsoil is being depleted in unsustainable ways. There are many other issues as well, but it strikes me that we can start with those, because they seem essential to our survival.

Can you address those concerns?
What's to address? Its true. It's been common knowledge for decades. Here in the US wells have been going dry, and once easily irrigated farmland on the Great Plains is becoming both infertile and difficult/expensive to irrigate.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

And it's not a matter of space. The spaces are borderless. The problem is resources, since so many lands are unproductive and 8 billion people is an unsustainable number.
And besides that, world overpopulation has been causing nothing but social inequalities and maldistribution of wealth.

Now it has doubled. It has reached 8 billion, and I am still young. Almost all of my former classmates are childless.
And they have no intention of making babies. Not only because of the uncertainty of the future...but because they don't want kids that will have to live in a nightmarish, overpopulated world.
I also advise people that being child-free is better, and they yell at me, telling I am wrong. Since the West is the one which is going through a birth rates collapse, and that it's other continents which should decrease their birth rates.
But the truth is that the future kids will have to face overwhelming immigration, and the discomfort of an overpopulated world.

View attachment 83178

Birth rates
Your idol Elon doesn't seem to think so:

He's an imbecile, however.

Anyway, looking at the map, it's both interesting and sad how the places with the highest birthrates are also places that struggle with famine.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Do they work at night time or when there isn't any wind? Asking for a friend.
Home panels charge batteries charge during the day for nighttime power.

When the wind isn't blowing in one place it's blowing in another. They're all on the same grid, plus energy can be stored in heat sinks, elevated reservoirs, &c for high demand periods.

Shaul

Premium Member
Home panels charge batteries charge during the day for nighttime power.
Not on cloudy days or in many places for much of winter. And winter is when the power is needed most.
When the wind isn't blowing in one place it's blowing in another. They're all on the same grid, plus energy can be stored in heat sinks, elevated reservoirs, &c for high demand periods.
And in many places the wind doesn't blow enough to ever make them practical.

People have been talking about these for decades and they still have very limited implementation. It might be because they are economically not viable. On the other hand nuclear power doesn't have these limitations.

We Never Know

No Slack

View attachment 83178

Birth rates

Would 8.5 million people(2021) living on 302.6 square miles of land be over crowding/over populated?
That's 28.1 thousand per square mile.

Welcome to New York City.